Thread: Capturing a Captor

Capturing a Captor

Age of Ultron rulebook page 22
    When you capture a die, move the captured die to your field and place your capturing die on top of it. The captured die no longer exists for game purposes. Once the capturing ends, place the die wherever it came from (the text on the capturing die’s card will tell you where you captured it from). Unless otherwise noted, capturing ends at the end of the turn, or when the capturing die is knocked out.

Ultron Drone: 01000100 01101001 01100101
    Capture any enemy character dice blocking Ultron Drone (return it at the end of the turn).
    Global: Pay . Force an opposing character die to block a character of your choice this turn.
    Lets say my Gelatinous Cube captures one of my opponent's character dice. On their turn they use Ultron Drone to capture my Gelatinous Cube. Does the Gelatinous Cube keep the captured die or is it released when Ultron Drone captures the Cube?

Captures are strictly "while active" effects, meaning that the moment the capturing die (in this case Gelatinous Cube) is captured, it leaves the field and releases its capture. This is why the rare Ultron Drone allows another die to capture the target, because if it captured, then the capture would immediately end because the capturing die was knocked out and left the field.

Given that the rulebook explicitly states that the capturing die must be knocked out I'm not so sure. I would be inclined to think that capturing works sort of like equipment, and unless knocked out, a captured die will follow it's captor out of play. But then I don't think anybody would think an unblocked attacking captor would bring it's captive with it, so...

I just submitted a slightly modified question to the WizKids rules forum. If being captured doesn't count as leaving the field, then I would think that the captured die would follow its captor. I would love to see a game where there is a stack of character dice. A Minotaur that captured a Mind Flayer who had captured a Gelatinous Cube that had captured a Sidekick.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Soon we'll have towers rivaling Jenga!

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I just submitted a slightly modified question to the WizKids rules forum. If being captured doesn't count as leaving the field, then I would think that the captured die would follow its captor. I would love to see a game where there is a stack of character dice. A Minotaur that captured a Mind Flayer who had captured a Gelatinous Cube that had captured a Sidekick.
    Dicemasters Bonus Round: Dice Towers!

From the rulebook:

The captured die no longer exists for game purposes.
    If it doesn't exist, it can't be capturing another die.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    But, the argument could be made that the original captured die doesn't exist, either (to be released).