Thread: What is considered fair pricing on singles?

What is considered fair pricing on singles?

Many people use CoolStuffInc as a reference for pricing their singles, but what does everyone think is fair pricing for singles sold by a regular Joe?

For example, CSI sells Red Dragon - Epic Dragon for $25. However, as a business, they have certain business expenses that they build into their pricing, and then their profit margin. CSI will also buy that card from people for $10 cash, or $12.50 in store credit. I have no idea what their expenses are, or what their profit margins are, but if they're willing to give $12.50 store credit, I'd guess that of the remaining $12.50, they maybe make $5 - $10 of profit.

... which brings me to my next question. I completely believe that anyone (who's not a store) can ask whatever price they want. That is their prerogative. However, if you're on the buying end, would you expect the seller to list a price that's less than CSI, since a regular Joe doesn't have all of the expenses that a store has? It seems reasonable that that would be the case, but I run into many people selling who believe that the CSI price is what they should be getting too, which I'm not completely sure I agree with.

Also, I see the asking price on OP cards run at least $5, if not more. Some people even list 10 copies of an OP card at $5 each, and when someone lists 10 copies, it seems safe to assume that they got their hands on an OP kit without being a storefront that runs events (which I thought wasn't allowed???) I think I heard that entire OP kits ordered from WK run in the $12 - $15 range for 20+ cards, so is charging $5 fair? For the guy who actually competed in an event and won an OP card that they're trying to sell, again, I understand the $5 pricing. But for someone who isn't a store that got an OP kit, is that considered gouging?

Thoughts?

What it CSI's shipping policy? As a buyer, I don't necessarily care where the card is coming from, I want to pay approximately the same price (including shipping) regardless of where I get it (CSI, eBay, other person). I would be willing to pay slightly more for CSI because I have the trust in their product, where I might not have that same level of trust from a regular person. Plus I'm sure CSI would include tracking/delivery confirmation/insurance on their shipping, so I would expect that from any other shipper as well.

I've only bought singles from CSI, but if I were to buy a single from an individual I would expect to pay somewhere between what CSI is buying the card for and what CSI is selling the card for.

Of course that only works if CSI is able to maintain a supply of that card. They usually don't carry OP cards (at least I've never seen them there) and several popular singles are constantly out of stock. So for those I don't know if there is a quantifiable fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    What it CSI's shipping policy? As a buyer, I don't necessarily care where the card is coming from, I want to pay approximately the same price (including shipping) regardless of where I get it (CSI, eBay, other person). I would be willing to pay slightly more for CSI because I have the trust in their product, where I might not have that same level of trust from a regular person. Plus I'm sure CSI would include tracking/delivery confirmation/insurance on their shipping, so I would expect that from any other shipper as well.
    Every time I've used CSI, they provide tracked shipping, which is great!

This sees to be a question of "why do cards cost anything?" or "who sets the prices?". The simple answer is we do. The prices are whatever people are willing to sell their cards for, or, more importantly, what people are willing to pay for them. In the case of people getting a hold of OP kits, of course they will value the cards at the going rate, because that's what people are willing to spend on them. Unfortunately, the price doesn't change if a card was won at an event or gotten through other means. Sentimental value aside, stores exist to make money, so places like CSI have to inflate prices to cover their bottom lines. They'll buy cards at a price and then sell them for 200% of the purchase cost because they have to have a human being list the cards for sale, organize them, pack them and ship them, all of which takes time.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay. Are some people gouging and preying on our obsession? Definitely. But what are you going to do?

At CSI for a card and die it's usually:

Common $0.25-$0.50
    Uncommon $0.79-$0.99
    Rare $4.99
    Super Rares - varies greatly
    Chase ???

AVX will see higher prices for some of the Rares due to the limited availability and the power of the cards in that set.

OPs can vary. I've seen $2-$5 for the participation cards. The stuff for winning an OP event I've seen anywhere from $15-$30.

Europe you can double the Price for what CSI is listening or even more. Not because we dont have enough Cards here,but somehow taxes and shipping cost to another side of the world will increase the price.

But what i dont like is,when people getting much stuff from some company and setting a Flag of price for everything.

I am just glad that Collectors going hand in hand with Players to trade or make arguable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Europe you can double the Price for what CSI is listening or even more. Not because we dont have enough Cards here,but somehow taxes and shipping cost to another side of the world will increase the price.

But what i dont like is,when people getting much stuff from some company and setting a Flag of price for everything.

I am just glad that Collectors going hand in hand with Players to trade or make arguable prices.
    Try the Facebook trading group or Reddit (or even here). I'm sure you can find some European players to trade with if there's none local to you.

As a seller, I don't care what CSI is buying a card for. That's irrelevant to me. I expect to receive market value, which is typically a little less than the online stores charge. It's odd to me to hear people talking about someone else's overhead like it should impact how I price what I sell.

As far as the prices on OP cards, it is what it is. Is the system abused a little bit? Obviously, but if WK cracks down too much on it, stores won't participate and players get hurt, in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by aztecjoker View Post
    What's the name of the Facebook group?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1532695523665611/

Looking at sold, worldwide, listings on eBay is, in my opinion, the best way to gauge market value of almost any card.