Thread: Enrage?

Enrage?

Can I use this on my turn and name one of my opponent's die to force him to attack with a specific character on his subsequent turn?

Thanks...I know most effects end at the end of the turn, but based on how this one is worded I thought it would be different.

Spinning up is actually good for what I'm trying to pull off, so I'm cool with that.

I don't think it has sufficient wording to get past the "everything ends at the end of turn" rule. I'd get Wizkids to answer it before I tried it in an OP event.

Quote Originally Posted by crambaza View Post
    I don't think it has sufficient wording to get past the "everything ends at the end of turn" rule. I'd get Wizkids to answer it before I tried it in an OP event.
    This.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    I, for one, believe "at its next opportunity" is sufficient language. For any tournament at which I must make a ruling, it will carry over to the opponent's turn if necessary.

From http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...0&t=3816#p9038

A question as asked about BEWD and his discount carrying over, and the response was pretty clear:
    "it doesn't carry forward. The effect goes away at end of turn because it isn't a While Active effect."

Enrage doesn't fit this bill either.

I've always thought Enrage was a strange card.

It is basically a forced attack effect, but the following two rules exist, which makes this card strange:
    1) effects cease at the end of your turn unless otherwise stated
    2) Actions cannot be saved to be used on you opponents turn

Obviously, my opponent can't attack on my turn, so, if the forced attack doesn't carry over, using this on one of my opponent's characters would only result in him spinning up, so that doesn't make sense.

I could use it on my own character, but why would I ever need to use a force attack effect on myself? Yes...there is the spin up ability and the buff global...but there are other and better ways to do both those things with other cards.

This is what makes me think the true intention of this card was to be able to use it on your opponents characters and have the forced attack carry over to your opponents turn, Yes...if this is the case then that means the card also gives your opponent a bonus in the spin up...so what would be the advantage of forcing my opponent to attack with a stronger character?

Bishop is from the same set as Enrage. I bet Enrage was designed specifically to work as a combo with Bishop. If played well, this could potentially be a form of board clear on your opponent's turn, leaving things nicely open on your own subsequent turn.

Maybe I'm stretching things a bit here...but Ive been trying to find a way to make Bishop work, and this idea came to mind.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Meatman; 07-17-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Don't see how Enrage + Bishop = Board clear.

Anyway...

This is another case where I have already asked the pertinent question on the rules forum.

And not received any answer.

I get the feeling that they themselves don't know the answer and think if they just don't answer it will somehow magically go away.

Yes, I am in a very cynical mood this morning.

If you can get your opponents big beefy attack heavy character...let's say Wolverine for example ...to attack into Bishop with say 8 attack...that is 4 damage that Bishop can split up however he chooses amongst the remaining characters on your opponent's side, in addition to his regular combat damage he will deal direct to Wolverine himself.

So Wolverine gets KOd, and I could potentially KO a few other characters too, with just Bishop. If we can set up multiple attackers with multiple Bishops...woah...craziness

Now...if we can also find a way to beef up your opponent's character even more, that is more damage Bishop can deal to other characters as well. The buff global on Enrage can help with that, but I wouldn't use that more than once to potentially round off your opponent's attack to an even number.

Finally, if there is also a way we can figure out to beef up Bishops defense...then we may be be able to keep him alive into your next turn as well.

I know...it is a bit of a stretch...but I don't think we have many options like this to planfully take out a bunch of opposing characters on you opponent's turn...so it could be something...maybe...

I think "next opportunity" is "otherwise stated". The reason BEWD doesn't carry over is because it doesn't state otherwise, and all modifiers clear at the end of turn unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    I think "next opportunity" is "otherwise stated". The reason BEWD doesn't carry over is because it doesn't state otherwise, and all modifiers clear at the end of turn unless otherwise stated.
    Sounds logical to me. I like and agree with this interpretation, it makes the most sense. Which means Wizkids will probably rule the opposite.

I agree with the intent being that it should carry into the opponent's turn, but unfortunately, it is not written that way.

I'm a big fan of playing as written, until it is ruled differently.

Long argument short: BEWD says "Next die you purchase", Enrage says " next opportunity". BEWD has been ruled to not carry over, Enrage has not been ruled. Play it how you will, but the line has been drawn very distinctly in the sand here. "Next" does specifically allow things to carry over to the next turn.

Personally, I think Enrage needs the option, but either way works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by crambaza View Post
    I agree with the intent being that it should carry into the opponent's turn, but unfortunately, it is not written that way.

I'm a big fan of playing as written, until it is ruled differently.
    I think this is a case of BEWD being poorly worded, not Enrage. If BEWD were worded "until end of turn the next die you purchase" or something like that it would be much clearer. I think the key word in Enrage isn't "next" but "opportunity". If it was meant to only work on your turn the card would be worded "Spin a character die up one level (if able.) If you control that die it must attack this turn." This would functionally be the same card, be less wordy, and by flipping the two statements around gives clarity to the intent.