Thread: Johnny Storm - no other character to deal damage too

Johnny Storm - no other character to deal damage too

Last night at my LGS I was playing against a Johnny Storm. I had no characters fielded. My opponent had a active Johnny Storm and when he fielded his sidekicks we were not sure if we had to damage one of his characters since they were the only ones in the field or skip that effect.

Johnny Storm must deal damage to something when you field a character, even if your opponent has no characters in the field.

Good reason to keep a couple of Black Manta - David dice in the field with a HT

Never Field 2 Firestorm - Matter Master on your field alone.

Not really. Fielding doesn't usually happen in the attack step.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Not really. Fielding doesn't usually happen in the attack step.
    What!? I've been playing this wrong??? ;-)

So, if I get this straight, combined with Nova Quasar (Each time Nova takes damage, you may draw one die and put it in your prep area), you could, every time you field a character, do one damage to your opponent and deal one damage to Nova, so drawing one die to put in the prep.

Or, combined with Hulk Jade Giant (While Hulk is active, when either you or Hulk takes damage, knock out one of your opponent's level 1 characters (*burst)Instead knock out one opposing character of any level), you could deal one damage to your opponent and deal one damage to Hulk to KO an opposing character. Make it happen 2-3 time in the same round to clear the board and go for a clear victory.

While we're at it, considering both of these unit as mine, could I target them with magic missile global to trigger their ability. If so, it does mean that during an attack step, I could target Nova The human rocket (Whenever Nova takes damage during the attack step, he deals 2 damage to your opponent) multiple time with magic missile global to snipe my opponent for 2 damage for each bolt I pay.

Those situations (and some others) makes me wonder how much it was really intended for you to be able to target your own unit with those ability (Johnny Storm, Green Arrow, Magic Missile Global, etc).

Just a curious interogation from a new player.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Castle View Post
    So, if I get this straight, combined with Nova Quasar (Each time Nova takes damage, you may draw one die and put it in your prep area), you could, every time you field a character, do one damage to your opponent and deal one damage to Nova, so drawing one die to put in the prep.
    Yes.

Or, combined with Hulk Jade Giant (While Hulk is active, when either you or Hulk takes damage, knock out one of your opponent's level 1 characters (*burst)Instead knock out one opposing character of any level), you could deal one damage to your opponent and deal one damage to Hulk to KO an opposing character. Make it happen 2-3 time in the same round to clear the board and go for a clear victory.
    Yes.

While we're at it, considering both of these unit as mine, could I target them with magic missile global to trigger their ability. If so, it does mean that during an attack step, I could target Nova The human rocket (Whenever Nova takes damage during the attack step, he deals 2 damage to your opponent) multiple time with magic missile global to snipe my opponent for 2 damage for each bolt I pay.
    Yes.

Those situations (and some others) makes me wonder how much it was really intended for you to be able to target your own unit with those ability (Johnny Storm, Green Arrow, Magic Missile Global, etc).
    Well, they certainly are powerful abilities and combos, and very many people have used them to very great effect.

But, damage remains until the end of the turn, so they have very hard limits to their use, and so aren't as powerful, against a well prepared opponent, as they first may appear.

Just a curious interogation from a new player.
    Always welcomed.

So, if I get this straight
    You got it. You could also wall up and just use Wasp's global to sting them to death without the need for expensive dice. Direct damage works well, sometimes too well, but it falls apart the longer the game goes on.