Thread: Red Skull "Hail Hydra"

Red Skull "Hail Hydra"

Can anyone explain what this ability actualy does? The wording is a smidge tricky, specifically the word 'their'.

Teamwatch - when you field a character who shares an affiliation with Red Skull, spin down all of their character dice one level or spin up all of your character dice one level (your opponent chooses).

So I have Mr Skull in the field and I field a Villain, lets say Thanos, and my opponent chooses the first option. Am I spinning down my opponents characters? Am I spinning down all my Thanos dice already in the field?

Based on the addition of "your opponent chooses" I think it's very safe to assume that Red Skull is giving them the option to either A: Spin down all of their character dice down 1 level when the ability triggers, or B: Spin all of your character dice up 1 level. The real question remains, can your opponent choose an option that could not "technically" resolve? (IE spin all of their characters down 1 level when every die they control is level 1). This is even more relevant in regards to the common version of Red Skull, which deals with burn damage and lifegain.

Based on how all of Red Skull's other cards work, I'd bet it's all of your opponent's dice, not the newly fielded character.

I would think your opponent gets to choose and then does as much of that effect as possible. So they could select to have their character dice spin down even if they are already at level 1. Same with the other version, they could choose for you to gain life even if you are at 20 life, resulting in no life gain.

That's how I was reading it too, but there is a window of misinterpretation in there.

"you fielded another Thanos and Red Skull is active? Spin all their dice down!"

I would go with the interpretation that follows the pattern of the other Red Skull cards. When triggered, you opponent chooses between an effect that affects the active player or themselves.

All of the Red Skull cards are giving your opponent an option to choose one of two different options that generally not in thier favour.

Your opponent will always choose whichever of the 2 options that are less impactful for them at that specific point in the game, this is what makes the card interesting and fun. Sometimes both options will be really bad for them, and other times it will be very obvious which choice is less painful for them.

So...I think it would be absolutely fair to let them choose the option of spinning down all thier characters regardless of what thier current board state is...even if they only have 1 sidekick in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    All of the Red Skull cards are giving your opponent an option to choose one of two different options that generally not in thier favour.

Your opponent will always choose whichever of the 2 options that are less impactful for them at that specific point in the game, this is what makes the card interesting and fun. Sometimes both options will be really bad for them, and other times it will be very obvious which choice is less painful for them.

So...I think it would be absolutely fair to let them choose the option of spinning down all thier characters regardless of what thier current board state is...even if they only have 1 aidekick in the field.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way it is ruled, because it makes sense. It just makes Red Skull much less playable, which would be a shame. He's a pretty cool villain after all and I'd like him to be able to see competitive play.

I still think Red Skull is one of the better characters in the set. I'd like to try a team with Blue-Eyes and the Uncommon Red Skull. I can't think of a situation where either of those options is good for my opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I still think Red Skull is one of the better characters in the set. I'd like to try a team with Blue-Eyes and the Uncommon Red Skull. I can't think of a situation where either of those options is good for my opponent.
    I agree, but I think it needs to be paired with something like the common sinestro to reduce the TFC of Red Skull from 6 to 3 and make it more economical to knock out a bunch of them and mess with your opponent.

While I was reading it my first time, I stumbled too, until I got to the "your opponent chooses" part, then I got it.

My advice, mentally move the clause to where it makes it easier to read:

"Teamwatch - when you field a character who shares an affiliation with Red Skull, (your opponent chooses) spin down all of their character dice one level or spin up all of your character dice one level."