Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SR Jocasta... do multiple dice trigger multiple times

I think in this situation it is character not die.

But there are so many rulings about dice vs character that contradict each other, I have no idea.

Hmmm Not helpful but I would like to know as well.

Each die procs separately. Character dice take damage, character cards do not.

that makes her crazy good
    Last edited by Vapedaveb; 07-18-2015 at 02:54 AM.

This is one of the clearer rulings from the rules team:

Quote Originally Posted by dmrulesteam
    The ability is self-referential. "When Beast blocks..." means "When this die blocks..." and so on.
    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...&t=2286&p=7357

So this came up in facebook, If one die is damaged during the main phase, then Jocasta has taken damage that turn, so it would be second damage during attack phase that the character takes damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapedaveb View Post
    So this came up in facebook, If one die is damaged during the main phase, then Jocasta has taken damage that turn, so it would be second damage during attack phase that the character takes damage.
    That's the way I read it.

Ok now here is the rub to this question:

You have three Jocasta Dice in the field,

You use

say on it's non-star face.

How much damage does your opponent take? What happens to the Jocastas?
    I think that they all take damage at the same time, however they only redirect once, like hulk, but honestly it is a stumper.

If one die is damaged in the Main Phase, then that die has taken damage that turn, so if that die took damage during the Attack Phase it would be counted against that die.

So if you drop Mjolnir on 3 Jocastas (and none of them have taken any damage yet), your opponent gets 18 to the face. 24 if it's on **.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    If one die is damaged in the Main Phase, then that die has taken damage that turn, so if that die took damage during the Attack Phase it would be counted against that die.

So if you drop Mjolnir on 3 Jocastas (and none of them have taken any damage yet), your opponent gets 18 to the face. 24 if it's on **.
    Well the card says each turn that Jocasta takes damage for the first time, so 1 die redirects 1 point of damage from Magic Missile then Jocasta has taken damage. The other dice no longer matter because Jocasta has taken damage for the first time already, because it does not say die it says character in that situation. As I read it.

But Mjolnir does all of it's damage at the same time so this is when I think you can triple the damage to 18 or 24.

As Scorpion pointed out, "Jocasta" in this sense means "this Jocasta die" (the card text is self-referential, like the Beast example above).

But is she considered a Beast or Wolverine, because the opposite has been ruled for him. They differentiate between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    As Scorpion pointed out, "Jocasta" in this sense means "this Jocasta die" (the card text is self-referential, like the Beast example above).
    OK SCORP explained it you are correct and I get it now, thanks bro, but she is broken, I love her even more now. But this will be fixed Guaranteed, she will be errata'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    This is one of the clearer rulings from the rules team:
    Agreed. I think this is why the card does not have a "While active...".

So if I have three Jocasta dice in play, and my opponent first does something (Wasp Global) to ping one of the dice, they would just take one, and then they could attack and if blocked, the Jocastas would all just be normal?

AND

If I block with three Jocastas after none have taken damage in the main phase, would my opponent be dealt the combined total of damage they took, since it all happened at the same time?

Or like, if my opponent had whichever Hulk it is that when dealt damage does 2/3 to every character die,and I had three Jocastas and he was on the two damage face (Hulk), with each Jocasta taking damage at the same time, would my opponent then take 6?

Quote Originally Posted by OldManLogan View Post
    So if I have three Jocasta dice in play, and my opponent first does something (Wasp Global) to ping one of the dice, they would just take one, and then they could attack and if blocked, the Jocastas would all just be normal?
    Your opponent would take one damage from one Jocasta die, and then that Jocasta die would take combat damage normally. The other two Jocasta dice would deal their combat damage to your opponent.

If I block with three Jocastas after none have taken damage in the main phase, would my opponent be dealt the combined total of damage they took, since it all happened at the same time?
    Correct.

Or like, if my opponent had whichever Hulk it is that when dealt damage does 2/3 to every character die,and I had three Jocastas and he was on the two damage face (Hulk), with each Jocasta taking damage at the same time, would my opponent then take 6?
    Correct.

OK SCORP explained it you are correct and I get it now, thanks bro, but she is broken, I love her even more now. But this will be fixed Guaranteed, she will be errata'd.
    Naw, she's awesome, but the answers are in-set.

Captain America: Super Soldier 4 - While active, prevent all but 1 damage to you from any action or character ability

Edit Nevermind.
    Last edited by Vapedaveb; 07-20-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Actually I was wondering isn't the source of the damage the original damage? So if it was combat damage taken to Jocasta it would still be combat damage to the opponent?

Actually I was wondering isn't the source of the damage the original damage? So if it was combat damage taken to Jocasta it would still be combat damage to the opponent?
    Yes.

Cap does stop the massive direct damage via Jocasta that you can do with actions, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Naw, she's awesome, but the answers are in-set.

Captain America: Super Soldier 4 - While active, prevent all but 1 damage to you from any action or character ability
    Not only that, but she's also afflicted by: Overall poor stats (not a huge deterrent but yeah), often pricey to field, especially in multiples and, the kicker, the ever awkward purchase cost of 4. Not saying she isn't absolutely crazy amazing, because she is, but counters do exist and there are a few things weighing the card down. In regards to the mjolnir combo, I have tested this and it does work, but a purchase cost of 6 for something that gives no field presence is a lot, especially because you need multiple 4 cost characters to get real value out of it. Again, still crazy good. Broken/in need of errata? Let's not get carried away so soon into the format. I'll be curious to see how this plays out long term.

In Draft yeah not to great, but in unlimited I can tell you she is a beast. I agree she is not as broken as originally thought, your right it is a lot of high costs. However I like the rare Mjolnir, less damage but cheaper to get out and a good board clear as well. I have some teams with her and one I think is great but I need to work and play test more.

I think she's much stronger in draft than unlimited, actually. There are multiple basic actions that you can get a lot of mileage out of her with and there is no real in-set answer for her unless you're doing sealed/constructed and have access to the starter set Captain Americas. If someone pulls her you had better hope you land the uncommon Loki.

It is a really strong card and will be fun to play around with...if I ever get my hands on one that is...

However...using the word Broken for something like this is a bit too much I think. Was Gobby ever considered a Broken card, or just a really good Meta defining card? People were forced to either jump on his bandwagon, or design thier team specifically to defend against him.

It feels like Jocosta may be the same...either get on board with using her...or be prepared to deal with her.

Whether she is good in Draft or not is almost irrelevant, becuase she will show up there quite infrequently.