Thread: Maj. Carol Danvers

Maj. Carol Danvers

So, we had a question regarding what combat damage is in terms of this game. While we were playing in a local draft today, the question came up as to what is required to trigger and activate Maj. Carol Danvers.

Her text reads: "When Captain Marvel deals combat damage, draw a die and put it in your Prep Area."

The question was, whenever she attacks and is blocked, is this considered combat damage and triggers the ability to draw a die and prep it, or is it only if it deals some damage to the opponent, through being unblocked or using Overcrush.

Thanks in advance!

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Any damage dealt during combat counts (it does not need to be dealt to the opponent) - dealing damage to other character dice by attacking or blocking will trigger the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Any damage dealt during combat counts (it does not need to be dealt to the opponent) - dealing damage to other character dice by attacking or blocking will trigger the effect.
    Thanks! That's what I felt was the answer to this question. I'll have to let my group know. Now I wonder though, what happens when a character is pulled out of the attack zone without overcrush. Does it still do combat damage?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Damage is dealt after globals are played. So if an attacker is no longer in the attack zone, they do not do damage. If the blocker is removed and the attacker does not have overcrush, no damage is dealt by that attacker.

Damage is dealt after globals are played. So if an attacker is no longer in the attack zone, they do not do damage. If the blocker is removed and the attacker does not have overcrush, no damage is dealt by that attacker.
    I actually used this one. I blocked with a Sidekick, then used the Wasp global to kill my own Sidekick, so Captain Marvel would not deal any combat damage.

Question on this...more related to Overcrush now than Carol Danvers...but I'll ask anyway...

"If the blocker is removed and the character does have overcrush no damage is dealt"...this implies if the character did have Overcrush that damage would be dealt. Is that true?

The way the rulebook is worded, makes it seem like for Overcrush to trigger, the specific character who has overcruah has to knock out all of its blockers. So if the blocker is just removed from the field by some effect, or KO'd by another means like in @crambaza example...does Overcrush trigger at all?

Overcrush deals in Excess of the Defense of the Blocker, if there is no blocker it is Zero Dmg. It is like you attack wiht Wolverine the best there is and you kill the blocking Sidekick against him with a Magic Missile beforehand. He will deal his full damage as an overcrush. Thats my view of this whole Ovecrush Rule.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-07-21-10-55-14.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	646.4 KB 
ID:	2017

Except from AOU rulebook.

The way that Overcrush is defined, seems to imply if that character does not KO its own blockers, Overcrush doesn't trigger. So I block you with a sidekick and then KO that sidekick with Magic Missle...or...I block you with any character and then that character is removed in someway before damage is resolved...Overcrush doesn't trigger.

Per the rules forum:

If an attacker with Overcrush attacks and the blocker is removed or KO'd (by a Global Ability or action for example) and has no other blockers, all damage would be deal to the opponent's life.
    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...ercrush#p10702

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Arrgh....then why, Oh Why, does the AOU rulebook, published after this ruling, say something dofferent? (Rhetorical Question)

Just a bit frustrating...

Wait... You think the Rules Team is somehow connected with the people who make the Rule Book? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Arrgh....then why, Oh Why, does the AOU rulebook, published after this ruling, say something dofferent? (Rhetorical Question)

Just a bit frustrating...
    To be fair, you can make the case that if a blocker is removed, the overcrushing attacker necessarily has no blockers that it needs to knock out, and a change to the rulebook wording would be unnecessary. It may be blocked, but it has no blockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Wait... You think the Rules Team is somehow connected with the people who make the Rule Book? LOL
    Best Post in this week!

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    To be fair, you can make the case that if a blocker is removed, the overcrushing attacker necessarily has no blockers that it needs to knock out, and a change to the rulebook wording would be unnecessary. It may be blocked, but it has no blockers.
    I think Dean has it on the head. The rule book doesn't say that the overcrush character has to ko every character that was declared as a blocker against it at any point this turn, but that it must deal enough damage to KO its blockers, at the point of Overcrush calculation. Game effects don't have great memory, nor can they see the future, assume they didn't see things they can't see when they trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Best Post in this week!
    I can contribute humor of nothing else. 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I think Dean has it on the head. The rule book doesn't say that the overcrush character has to ko every character that was declared as a blocker against it at any point this turn, but that it must deal enough damage to KO its blockers, at the point of Overcrush calculation. Game effects don't have great memory, nor can they see the future, assume they didn't see things they can't see when they trigger.
    Ok...I'm with you guys now. Still not great wording, but I'm on board.

One more Overcrush clarification...A die from a card like Nick Fury Rare in AOU does negate the Overcrush if he is blocking a character with that ability, right? (Assuming his ability kicks in and he cant be KOd with 3 Avengers in the field.)

Correct. If a blocker exists, it must be KO'd or removed to trigger Overcrush. Same thing with Wonder Woman making Sidekicks invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Ok...I'm with you guys now. Still not great wording, but I'm on board.

One more Overcrush clarification...A die from a card like Nick Fury Rare in AOU does negate the Overcrush if he is blocking a character with that ability, right? (Assuming his ability kicks in and he cant be KOd with 3 Avengers in the field.)
    Correct.

A question was asked on the official forums about the Wonderwoman that can make Sidekicks not receive any damage, and the answer was:
    "The application of damage due to Overcrush requires the condition that “this character knocks out all of its blockers.” In your situation, the sidekick is not knocked out, and thus the Overcrush ability does not trigger."

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...ercrush#p16274

Excellent...the world makes sense again. Thanks Dudes!

Now...back to Carol Danvers...I like this card a lot. If you use her to attack on your turn, then block on your opponent's turn, that is two dice preped for you...not bad. She has beefy enough stats that your opponent won't want to let her through on any of her faces in order to avoid the prep, and decent enough defense that she is likely to survive many combat situations. I may have to play around with this card.