Thread: May or Must i choose - Storm Wind Rider

May or Must i choose - Storm Wind Rider

Hey there, can someone help me clarify the words on her text please?

"Storm: Wind-Rider: When fielded, reroll up to 2 opposing characters. Each die that does not roll a character goes to your opponent's used pile. Storm deals 2 damage to your opponent for each die moved."

Is this a ability i must carry out when i field her or may/can i do this up to 2 characters?

I'd say it is a must, the option is in whether or not you reroll 1 or 2 characters.

I would think "Up to 2 Characters" could include 0 Characters.

Since it says "up to" 0 should be a valid option.

Edit - beaten to the punch.

I would go with Crestfallens suggestion, but i am hoping you 2 above me are right, because i would like to have more control there. Because the word "may" is really rare in the abilitie texts so i am more than sure how WK would handle this.

Well maybe someone finds an example with another character to clear this more up.

With Professor X Global they ruled that "up to" does not include 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    With Professor X Global they ruled that "up to" does not include 0.
    But do i have the choice to let my enemy roll only 1 character instead of the maximum of two,even when there are 2 or more characters on his field?

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Because the word "may" is really rare in the abilitie texts so i am more than sure how WK would handle this.
    The other two cards in AVX with "up to 2" include "may", a word Wizkids has indicated means that the player has an option whether to use the effect. See Green Goblin: Norman Osborn and Mr. Fantastic: The Invincible Man. Two other cards have, "may...up to 2": Blue Beetle: High School Hero and Halfling Thief: Lesser Lords Alliance.

In addition to Storm and Professor X's ability and global, both Minotaur: Greater Humanoid and Beholder: Apprentice Aberration have "up to 2" without "may".

The word "may" is actually very common in ability text, appearing 26 times in AVX, 34 in YGO, 38 in UXM, 28 in BFF, 32 in JL, and 30 in AOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    But do i have the choice to let my enemy roll only 1 character instead of the maximum of two,even when there are 2 or more characters on his field?
    The player who plays Wind-Rider chooses how many dice to reroll. If their opponent has 1 or more characters fielded then at least one, but no more than two, must be rerolled.