Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: teamwatch

teamwatch

I have Starhawk precognitive in field.
    Teamwatch- when you field a character who shares an affiliation with Starhawk, that character and Starhawk both get +2A this turn.

I field:
    Another Starhawk, and then a different avenger.

What happens?
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 07-19-2015 at 06:32 PM.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    One interpretation is that everyone gets +4A. I think Starhawk can activate himself, and then with two in the field you pick which one to activate. I have no real basis for this opinion, just some conversation with Randy about it.

As written, I think the first Starhawk would trigger when the second was fielded. Then they both would trigger when you field the other avenger. Giving all 3 dice +4A.

I see no reason why you would have to choose one Starhawk to trigger over the other when fielding the other avenger.

Just to mess with your minds:

Teamwatch is a while active ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Just to mess with your minds:

Feild second starhawk= both get +2
    Feild avenger= all 3 get +2
    So starhawks are now +4 and avenger is +2

Says who?

I certainly see how you read it that way.

But, if you look at various rulings on the rules forum, they clearly use wording like "a character is active" to mean "a character is in the field".

And one of the few really clear rulings we have is that self-referential abilities refer to individual dice.

So I think this Teamwatch ability is not 'while active'.

is there a difference between a character being in the field and being active? doesn't one beget the other?

Blog Entries
    "Is active" does not equal "while active" though. And the rule book states "while active" so I'm curious what the foundation for not thinking it is while active is, @Scorpion0x17 . I'm not sure it's clear cut myself, just looking for some additional information at how you arrived at that conclusion.
    Last edited by Jthomash2; 07-19-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spellllling

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    "Is active" does not equal "while active" though. And the rule book states "while active" so I'm curious what the foundation for not thinking it is while active is, @Scorpion0x17 . I'm not sure it's clear cut myself, just looking for some additional information at how you arrived at that conclusion.
    Where does the rule book say "while active"?

Both the PDF rule book and the photograph I have seen of the print rule book say, in the Lexicon, which is the only place Teamwatch appears to be defined:

"Teamwatch: Teamwatch abilities happen when a character with Teamwatch is active, and you field another character who has the same affiliation as them. See Hawkeye on page 16 for an example."

The lexicon does have all of the following:

While Active: See Active.

Active: An effect that takes place when one or more of that card’s dice are in the field.

Teamwatch: Teamwatch abilities happen when a character with Teamwatch is active, and you field another character who has the same affiliation as them. See Hawkeye on page 16 for an example.

To be honest, with all 3 of these being in the same lexicon, on the same page, it appears that Active is being given the "important" wording, meaning 1 or more. Teamwatch does include the word "active" in its definition as well, so I definitely can see how it could be interpreted this way.

Seems like another one for Wizkids.

Quote Originally Posted by crambaza View Post
    Seems like another one for Wizkids.
    I definitely agree with this.

And I can see how you could interpret what is written in the lexicon as meaning Teamwatch is a 'while active' ability.

But if that is the case then this specific Teamwatch ability would directly contradict the 'self-referential = per die' ruling.

'Self-referential' and 'while active' would appear, to me, at least, to be mutually incompatible.

So it's one, or it's the other.

And the one thing I know for certain is that Starhawk Precognitive's Teamwatch ability is self-referential.

FWIW, I think Original Starhawk gets +4 (from 2nd Starhawk and Unnamed Avenger), 2nd Starhawk gets +4 (from being fielded with OS's ability and with Unnamed Avenger being fielded), and Unnamed Avenger gets +4 (+2 from each Starhawk's Teamwatch ability). Teamwatch appears to play as a When Fielded effect, so that should cause it to trigger when things are fielded, even another version of itself. Cards can't get +2, so it must be talking about dice and, if so, it's about each die.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Where does the rule book say "while active"?

Both the PDF rule book and the photograph I have seen of the print rule book say, in the Lexicon, which is the only place Teamwatch appears to be defined:

"Teamwatch: Teamwatch abilities happen when a character with Teamwatch is active, and you field another character who has the same affiliation as them. See Hawkeye on page 16 for an example."
    It appears I stand corrected. Thanks guys.

So... This ability is a little better than heroic, right?

Told you guys I was just messing with your minds...

I think we are all in agreement on how the mechanic works.

Blog Entries

I think we are all in agreement on how the mechanic works.
    Nefarious, indeed.

*shakes fist*

Result:
    * Starhawk: +2A
    * "other Avenger": +2A

It's Teamwatch not SELFwatch. The ability is clearly defined in the Age of Ultron rulebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoubleBursts View Post
    Result:
    * "other Avenger": +2A

It's Teamwatch not SELFwatch. The ability is clearly defined in the Age of Ultron rulebook.
    Everyone else seems to disagree 2xBursts. Why do you say that this is the case?

I read it as they would all get +4.

Blog Entries
    Does the "another character" thing from the lexicon mean he can't trigger himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Does the "another character" thing from the lexicon mean he can't trigger himself?
    Another doesn't mean this one. I would agree with this.

Teamwatch: Teamwatch abilities happen when a character with Teamwatch is active, and you field another character who has the same affiliation as them. See Hawkeye on page 16 for an example.

So, then it would be:

Starhawk A: +2A
    Starhawk B: +2A
    Other Avenger: +4A

So, can you spin up a character die that is the same as the one you spun down?