Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not a big fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! or D&D but love tournament-viable cards?

Dice Masters Rebrands and Proxies (Adobe Photoshop Template)

Enter: Card Rebrands

I've rebranded a series of cards that are out of the superhero theme, but are still tournament viable and therefore a necessary evil for those of us (see: my roommate) who can't stomach blurry Yu-Gi-Oh! TV screen caps or stock fantasy D&D art alongside their favorite comic book heroes and villains.

Rebranding is essentially a new character name (same subtitle) and new art (esp. that matches the dice color scheme), with minor rules-text adjustments to account for silly things like "monster" and "summon" or the latest erratas.

At best, they're a Marvel/DC thematic match. At worst, they're a pop-culture reference. Enjoy!

Rebrand album link: http://imgur.com/a/pHC6K (more at the link)
    Proxies album link: http://imgur.com/a/iXRE4

Note: Cards are slightly larger than normal as they're created for printing through http://www.makeplayingcards.com/ (63.5 x 88.9mm)

And if you have any requests for a card rebrand—or alternate art, or even a simple proxy—hit me up here or with a private message.

Proxies at this point take me just a few minutes, provided I have the following:
    1. Art larger than 1024x768px (see: Google Image Search e.g. http://tinyurl.com/nmn9nvu)
      Pay attention to dimensions, and note that art needs headroom for card title.
      If the art provided is tall enough, the text block can be transparent like D&D card templates.
    2. Scan of the original card, for the dice faces (see: Dice Masters DB e.g. http://dicemastersdb.com/search?search=spider-man)

And hey, thanks for checkin' these out!

Edit: Alternatively, download the template and make cards yourself!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gum3y0avuf...plate.psd?dl=0

Last edited by digitallimit; 08-17-2015 at 07:02 PM.

This is a great idea, I've considered doing the same thing. The only thing to be aware of is that some cards take into account the title of the card (for example: Lord of D - Dragon Protector has abilities that affect cards with "Dragon" in the title {but not the sub-title}).

With what have you done them?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    This is a great idea, I've considered doing the same thing. The only thing to be aware of is that some cards take into account the title of the card (for example: Lord of D - Dragon Protector has abilities that affect cards with "Dragon" in the title {but not the sub-title}).
    Good point! You certainly have to keep the original card in mind if not nested immediately behind the proxy in a sleeve if not for cases like Blue-Eyes White Dragon, but also if you're playing an opponent who finds the alternate theming confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    With what have you done them?
    Essentially taking a card from outside of the Marvel or DC universe, and turning it into a card that fits into the superhero canon, e.g.:

Nooo ^^ i mean, Photoshop? dm.retrobox.eu/maker/maker ? Some other programm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Nooo ^^ i mean, Photoshop? dm.retrobox.eu/maker/maker ? Some other programm?
    Ah, sorry! I adapted a Photoshop template I found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/116...m-card-designs

I combined the traditional poker card template from MakePlayingCards.com with the template above into a new file which results in cards ready-for-print!

It's a little dangerous and morally fuzzy creating straight proxies, so I've been largely sticking to alternate art.

Wow...this is awesome. Now you need to make 36 or so more of these so I can order a full deck from that site!!! Amazing work.

They are looking awesome even if dont know much the characters or about them!

There so much content we could all produce.

I feel like I should counter this strategy by taking the blue-eyes conversion, re-branding it back to yugioh, and then modding it to some of the blue-eyes artwork everyone within the yugioh community actually loves lol. I don't think nearly as many people would complain if Wizkids had the rights to use the actual artworks from the TCG/OCG cards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue.Eyes.White.Dragon.full.1461040.jpg 
Views:	1238 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1986 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueEyesWhiteDragon-TF04-JP-VG.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	1987 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOB-EN001-Blue-EyesWhiteDragon2ndart.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1988

IT SHALL HAVE TO BE DONE

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    And cards that have dice limits like "Archangel". He's got a 4 currently but should be 1. I noticed it's right on the "Tesseract" card but I think it really matters on some characters; 4 of those "Archangels" in a bag would be a bit deadly especially with Overcrush.

But a really awesome idea and they look great!
    Last edited by shuanfu; 07-20-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I feel like I should counter this strategy by taking the blue-eyes conversion, re-branding it back to yugioh, and then modding it to some of the blue-eyes artwork everyone within the yugioh community actually loves lol. I don't think nearly as many people would complain if Wizkids had the rights to use the actual artworks from the TCG/OCG cards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue.Eyes.White.Dragon.full.1461040.jpg 
Views:	1238 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1986 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueEyesWhiteDragon-TF04-JP-VG.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	1987 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOB-EN001-Blue-EyesWhiteDragon2ndart.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1988

IT SHALL HAVE TO BE DONE
    Hurray, a request!

Quote Originally Posted by shuanfu View Post
    And cards that have dice limits like "Archangel". He's got a 4 currently but should be 1. I know that was early days of the game but I think it does help balance that ability so it's not so deadly especially when put with Overcrush. Not saying I've ever done that. Nope not ever.

But a really awesome idea and they look great!
    Ah damn, on the Super Rare of Obelisk I made it 1, but for some reason I didn't think the same limit applied to the uncommon.

Updated; now with the correct max value.

Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    Hurray, a request!

You can have all of the internets for that

I think we should build teams, some gather informations, pictues, others develop rules and Numbers for new cards. And finally the Creator/Artist for the Card to put all in place.

If someone is willing to do some Transformers Cards (except the Animated Serie), i am all yours! Your Workwhore!!

I figured it was just a simple miss as you caught it on the "Tesseract" so I've updated my original post.

This is great for someone like me who doesn't want all of the YuGiOh set but has a few of the cards that are competitive. And your name/character/art choices are great.

As to making proxies: I remember an interview with Eric M. Lang where he said he was fine with folks printing proxies but I agree there is a shady area when you start remaking cards to sell. But doing "replacement" cards like this for cards you have can be a fun part of the fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by shuanfu View Post
    I figured it was just a simple miss as you caught it on the "Tesseract" so I've updated my original post.

This is great for someone like me who doesn't want all of the YuGiOh set but has a few of the cards that are competitive. And your name/character/art choices are great.

As to making proxies: I remember an interview with Eric M. Lang where he said he was fine with folks printing proxies but I agree there is a shady area when you start remaking cards to sell. But doing "replacement" cards like this for cards you have can be a fun part of the fandom.
    Thanks Shaun! I too was surprised how well some of these rebrands worked out.

And hey, if Eric M. Lang is fine with it, I won't worry about it too much. I'm not selling them, after all.

So much love for the Red Shirt card. So very much love.

Seriously, some great ideas!

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by EJayDM View Post
    Would you be willing to do more like this? I always wanted to see Dice Masters Yugioh cards using the original card art.
    Accepting requests, if you can provide the art I can provide the result!

@Ressless , I should have uploaded this sooner, but use this template: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d420jv5jym...ate-3.psd?dl=0

The resolution and canvas size are larger for printing without a border, and I reorganized the template to make it easier to iterate on cards.

It also contains the template overlay and the Dice Masters card back, and a couple sample cards.