Thread: Global Abilities & Jocasta SR

Global Abilities & Jocasta SR

From the AoU rule book page 24
    Global Abilities that are paid for in a batch resolve as a single effect

Magic Missile
    Pay BOLT. Deal 1 damage to a character.
    Jocasta Patterned After Janet
    The first time Jocasta would be dealt damage, instead deal that damage to your opponent.
    Scenario I: Itís my turn, I have 2 Jocasta dice in play, with the Magic Missile basic action card. On my turn I have 10 Bolt energy and batch pay the Magic Missile global to do 10 damage to 1 Jocasta die, these are resolved as a single effect and the opponent takes 10 damage correct?

I also posted this to the DM Rules forums to see if we could get an official ruling on the damage per die:

Scenario II: Itís my turn, I have 2 Jocasta dice in play, with the Magic Missile basic action card. On my turn I have 10 Bolt energy and batch pay the Magic Missile global to do 5 damage each to 2 Jocasta dice, these are resolved as a single effect per die and the opponent takes 10 damage, 5 from each Jocasta die correct?

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=5897

You'd be able to pay for both effects at once, but only able to resolve one at a time.
    So, unfortunately, no.

Well um yeah I think you are correct.

However I am not sure it is very cost effective.

Nova gives more damage for cheaper, There is most cost effect to use two Jocasta and Mr. Sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=5897

You'd be able to pay for both effects at once, but only able to resolve one at a time.
    So, unfortunately, no.
    I have a suspicion that it is not so clear cut.

The quote above comes from an answer to a follow up to a question about the use of 'once per turn' globals that both players bring.

And, in the answer to that original question, they state:

If both players have identical cards that have Global Abilities that are limited to use once per turn, each player may play the Global Ability on each card once per turn, effectively permitting the ability to be used twice per turn.
    (Emphasis mine)

Now, it seems to me that the section I have highlighted strongly implies that the two abilities are treated as two separate, and distinct, abities, not the same singular ability.

Moreover, the passage from the rule book, quoted in the op, is in direct conflict with the quote from the ruling.

Batch paid globals cannot resolve as both "a single effect" and "one at a time".

So we have a contradiction.

Or do we?

Perhaps these two, out of context, statements are talking about two different things.

Perhaps the statement in the rule book deals only with batch payment of multiple activations of a singular effect, whereas the ruling deals with the batch payment of multiple separate effects.

If this is the case then we have no contradiction:

If you batch pay for multiple activations of a single global, then they resolve as a single effect.

If you batch pay for activations of multiple separate globals, even if they have the exact same effect, then they resolve as separate effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I have a suspicion that it is not so clear cut.

If you batch pay for multiple activations of a single global, then they resolve as a single effect.

If you batch pay for activations of multiple separate globals, even if they have the exact same effect, then they resolve as separate effects.
    You, sir, regularly blew the grading curve in you class, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Perhaps the statement in the rule book deals only with batch payment of multiple activations of a singular effect, whereas the ruling deals with the batch payment of multiple separate effects.

If this is the case then we have no contradiction:

This was my thinking as well but you worded so much better than I could have.

Wait, wait, wait.

Are you telling me that if I paid, say, 5 bolts for magic missile, I could KO Green Goliath and my characters would only take 3 damage instead of 15?

Quote Originally Posted by varthanna View Post
    Wait, wait, wait.

Are you telling me that if I paid, say, 5 bolts for magic missile, I could KO Green Goliath and my characters would only take 3 damage instead of 15?
    Maybe.