Thread: BACs for AOU Rainbow Drafts

BACs for AOU Rainbow Drafts

If have my first rainbow draft coming up this Sunday. Anyone have recommendations on BACs that work well with the cards in this set? I know Polymorph is a good one for Giantman, but that's about it.

Bring all your Basic Action Cards and pick the two that best go with what you end up drafting. If you don't want to do that, than at least bring Resurrection or Villainous Pact (as this set has no true ramp in it).

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Bring all your Basic Action Cards and pick the two that best go with what you end up drafting. If you don't want to do that, than at least bring Resurrection or Villainous Pact (as this set has no true ramp in it).
    Captain Marvel provides a bit of ramp, but aside from her or maybe the rare Beast there really isn't much there.

I know some draft events limits BACs to that set. I would definitely look at Hulk Out! Especially if you can lock down a few Ultron drones and/or gamora.

Quote Originally Posted by systemskill View Post
    Captain Marvel provides a bit of ramp, but aside from her or maybe the rare Beast there really isn't much there.

I know some draft events limits BACs to that set. I would definitely look at Hulk Out! Especially if you can lock down a few Ultron drones and/or gamora.
    I suggest to bring them in case you don't draft captain marvel.

I used polymorph and gearing up for my BAC's
    Couple of my friends used Hulk out, Anger issues, Magic Missile, Distraction and Resurrection

But yes, bring something that can ramp. I had gearing up for my ramp. I also had a Jocasta uncommon but that was a 5 cost and her stats arent that good.

I still think Gearing up is better. You're paying extra energy just to field characters.

Gearing up is inarguably better than nasty plot but if you're limited to BACs from AoU it just isn't an option.

I argue that Gearing Up is not "inarguably" better than Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot may be better for many team builds.

Each converts 1 action die into 2 dice from the bag for a net of one die while churning 2. The only difference is when you get those 2 dice: this turn or next.

Gearing Up has the advantage of the "time value" of the two dice; in general, dice are more valuable the sooner you get to reap the benefit of them. A BAC that yielded 2 dice 10 turns from now would obviously be a bad choice.

However, Nasty Plot has the advantage of setting up for more dice in a given turn.

In many cases, the incremental value of rolling 6 versus 5 dice on a turn is greater than the incremental value of rolling 5 versus 4 dice or 4 versus 3 dice on a turn. That's a big part of what makes PGX so valuable: it's not the net 1 die (without churn) but setting up a big turn.

Assuming you aren't getting other dice in the Prep area by other means, and subtacting out the BAC die (or mask die for PGX):
    Gearing Up: 5 (4-1+2) dice this turn, 4 dice next turn. 9 dice total over 2 turns with 2 dice churn through bag
    Nasty Plot: 3 (4-1) dice this turn, 6 (4+2) dice next turn. 9 dice total over 2 turns with 2 dice churn through bag
    Charm: 3-6 SK-heavy [sometimes 3 + 1 non-SK] dice this turn, 4 dice next turn. 7-10 dice total over 2 turns with 3 dice churn through bag.
    PGX: 3 (4-1) dice* this turn, 6 (4+2) dice next turn. 9 dice total over 2 turns. No churn through bag but 1 fewer die to churn through bag and no opportunity cost buying BAC.

[* Ignores splitting double-mask face on a character die. Obviously non-SK dice are more valuable than SK dice, but I don't think it changes the overall analysis.]

I would argue that there is a significant bump in relative value between 6 cost characters and 5 cost characters because it's significantly easier to get 5 energy than 6 energy. It's often worth the wait of one turn to get the better character. The loss of relatively value from the 3 cost character rather than 4 cost character is not as great, in my estimation.

If your team only goes up to 5 cost characters, Gearing Up is probably the better choice because you can get that 5 cost character one turn earlier than Nasty Plot. But if you are relying (or hoping) on 6 cost characters, Nasty Plot is the way to go. As the game progresses and you get a richer dice pool (more 2 energy faces) the same logic applies to 6 versus 7 cost characters.

I think these BACs are still relatively weak (and PGX overpowered), as they cost a turn's worth of energy to buy and a few turns to cycle through the bag, all for a net of 1 die. I like Charm a little better due to the extra churn. Given the chance to bring any BAC, I'd almost never take Gearing Up; Resurrection or Villainous Pact are better for achieiving 5 energy while Nasty Plot is better for achieving 6.

Also, you only get to roll your +2 dice once, after your other re-rolls, with Gearing Up. Nasty Plot lets you roll and possibly re-roll your +2 dice along with the other 4, giving you greater control over getting the desired mix of energy, energy types and character/BAC faces.