Thread: when fielded vs when active

when fielded vs when active

I read somewhere that when fielded only applies to the turn the character is played and while active is a lasting effect while the character remains a character on the field/attack zone.

Just wanted to verify this. For explanation to our weekly group.

That is all correct as you stated this.

An interesting and really simple example.

My enemy has Venom - Angelo Fortunato on his field , his while active gives opposing non-Fist-Characters -2A/-2D .

On my turn i field a Hawkeye and a Sidekick.

My sidekick and Hawkeye will be KO'd at the same time i field them because they dont have enough Defense to survive the While Active effect of Venom.
    But Hawkeye will do his "When fielded" Ability in this instance, that he causes his Attack Value as Damage to a target character.
    Last edited by Ressless; 07-24-2015 at 10:26 AM.

From the Official FAQ:

Please explain "When fielded" effects.

A: “When fielded” effects trigger at the time that a player moves that character into their Field Zone. In most instances, this occurs when a player pays a character’s fielding cost and moves the character from their Reserve Pool to their Field Zone. As an example, Hawkeye, Longbow’s ability allows him to deal his attack value to a target opposing character when he is fielded.

Some game effects will allow characters to be fielded in a more non-traditional fashion—such as Gambit, Le Diable Blanc.

If a character would be fielded from Gambit, Le Diable Blanc’s ability, any “when fielded” effects on those characters would activate.

Please explain "While Active" effects.

A: “While active” effects are static effects that are considered to be in play as long as that character is in the Field Zone (NOTE: the Attack Zone is considered a subset of the Field Zone—so “While active” effects are still active when a character is in the Attack Zone). These effects are not cumulative— i.e. the effects only occur once regardless of how many of that character is active in a player’s Field/Attack Zone (however, NOTE: if both players have the same character active, the effects will occur once for each player). As an example, Dr. Doom, Reed Richards’ Rival, modifies the Attack and Defense of all non-villain characters while he is active. This effect would only occur once regardless of how many Dr. Doom dice a player has active, but would occur twice if two players had a Doctor Doom, Reed Richards’ Rival, active.

Please explain the interaction/timing of "When fielded" and "While active" effects.

A: Characters are fielded when they are moved from the reserve pool to the field zone (by paying their fielding cost or through any special effect). An effect that occurs while the character is “active” is described as an effect that takes place when one or more of that card’s dice are in the field. See the Tournament Rules – Active and Fielded section in the rulebook on page 19. For example, Hawkeye, Longbow’s effect would activate only when you pay the character’s fielding cost and move the die from your reserve pool to the field. Doctor Doom, Reed Richards’ Rival’s effect would stay in effect as long as that character die is in your Field Zone.

For “When fielded” effects, you ask “Was the character fielded?”— If yes, the effect occurs immediately as they are fielded. This will happen simultaneously with any static effects already in the field (like Doctor Doom, Reed Richards’ Rival’s -1A and -1D). So, if a player fields Hawkeye on his Level 1 or 2 face (with 1 Defense), if there are no other defense modifiers on the field, it would play out as:

1) Hawkeye deals his attack value (which is being modified Dr. Doom by -1) to target
    character.
    2) Dr. Doom’s modifies Hawkeye’s Defense by -1, KO’ing Hawkeye.

So, effectively, Hawkeye uses his effect just as he is KO’d.

An important point to note is that "while active" means slightly more than just "while in the field".

It also means that the ability does not stack, so the effect of the ability is only applied once no matter how many copies of the die are in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    An important point to note is that "while active" means slightly more than just "while in the field".

It also means that the ability does not stack, so the effect of the ability is only applied once no matter how many copies of the die are in the field.
    Which, concurrently, means that "When Fielded" abilities DO stack, if you field multiple of the same die.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Which, concurrently, means that "When Fielded" abilities DO stack, if you field multiple of the same die.
    Indeed they do.

I didn't know the difference between when fielded and when active thanks guys you are all so helpful!