Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capture Blockers until emd of turn

Capture Blockers until emd of turn

I'll admit to a general lack of imagination and creativity in deck/dice building, but I really don't get this. The blocked attacker is still blocked, right? The couple of cards I've seen that do this don't have Overcrush. What am I missing?

First, you can give them Overcrush with a couple different Basic Actions.

Second, it prevents them from receiving Combat Damage, so it is likely they will remain in the Field.

Third, by using the Global on the Ultron Drones, you can pull a specific opposing character to this one to make sure it doesn't deal its combat damage, or really even exist on the Field during the Attack Step.

The cards combo well with other cards, including the Ultron that does 3 damage to your opponent when you capture something and Hulk Out, the BAC that gives Overcrush.

So in a similar light once a blocker is declared overcrush is required to deal an opponent damage.

Does that mean the rare Frost Giant if blocked by only one unit doesnt do damage (the unit is removed from the attack zone, similar to being captured).

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    So in a similar light once a blocker is declared overcrush is required to deal an opponent damage.

Does that mean the rare Frost Giant if blocked by only one unit doesnt do damage (the unit is removed from the attack zone, similar to being captured).
    Correct. This exact card was mentioned on WKRF with that ruling (unless you give Frost Giant Overcrush, in which case his entire attack hits your opponent).

In both threads people talk about giving Ultron drones overcrush, but it requires you to ko your blockers to get damage to the opponent, right? Even if your drone gets overcrush, it's blocker didn't get KOed, so no damage to the player. The once blocked always blocked would seem to apply

Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.
    looked it up, so you don't ko your blocker so no overcrush, right? I've been ruling the capture happens before the combat damage, and I didn't find a clarification on the WK rules forum. Am I doing this wrong?

Dude.
    Whole new world of possibilities.
    Thank you.

Not that I wouldn't love for this to be the case, but the above Overcrush Wizkids ruling does not explicitly refer to the capture mechanism. Is it widely accepted that this is how the interaction between Overcrush and Capture works?

Idk this is a tough one, because in justice league if you have overcrush with Martian man hunter and I have the atom that takes no damage from higher level characters , the wiz kids rules state that no overcrush is delivered if the blocking character is not ko Ed. So if ultron doesn't ko the blocker does overcrush still work? I guess capturing is different ?

Ok - the way I have read the ruling

If the blocker does not take damage from the attacker for what ever reason, the attack pours all of his attack value into trying to damage the defender - so there isn't anything left for over crush

If a blocker is removed before combat damage, the blockers Defense is reduced to 0, therefor overcrush goes over the blocker (and those with out overcrush don't get through)

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    Is it widely accepted that this is how the interaction between Overcrush and Capture works?
    In a word, yes.

If an attacker with Overcrush attacks and the blocker is removed or KO’d (by a Global Ability or action for example) and has no other blockers, all damage would be dealt to the opponent’s life.
    What does capturing do? It removes the blocker(s).

According to Wizkids and the rules, there is a once blocked always blocked principle in dice masters. Here is where the confusion sets in. If you were to have a die that captured and had overcrush, the die would deal its full attack to the opponent due to the overcrush mechanic. I'll try my best to explain it using the AOU ultron drone global.

Assume I have an ultron drone on the field. I declare my attack and pay my two fists to trigger the global to force a blocker. That blocker is now captured. Now, normally that would be it. No damage would go through because of the once blocked always blocked principle. However, when you add overcrush it becomes a different beast. Because all of the blockers are removed, the overcrush would proc, hitting your opponent for the attack value of the die. Additionally, because of the once blocked always blocked principle, that die remains in the field.

Another (albeit highly unlikely) scenario would be you attack with a die that has overcrush (let's assume Martian Manhunter from DC). Your opponent blocks with a die. Your opponent uses the distraction global to remove the blocker. All of Martian Manhunters damage would go through because blockers would be removed, effectively leaving a blocker with a defense of 0.

I had a hard time with this too..
    But the way I think about it is this...

The steps in the attack step happen sequentially...so...attackers declared, blockers declared, globals & action dice, damage resolves. For Ultron Drone, he gets blocked, so he remains blocked, but capture happens at the moment blockers are assigned. So when the check is done for overcrush during the resolve damage part, thenlogic follows "Is character blocked = yes, are all it's blockers KO'd = yes, because when this check is done Ultron Drone has 0 blockers".

Quote Originally Posted by ninjahonor View Post
    ) Your opponent uses the distraction global to remove the blocker.
    The distraction global removes attackers not blockers.

To go back to the original question, it is also useful for certain defenders to be captured so that they don't have their abilities activated (Jade Giant, Green Goliath, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    I had a hard time with this too..
    But the way I think about it is this...

The steps in the attack step happen sequentially...so...attackers declared, blockers declared, globals & action dice, damage resolves. For Ultron Drone, he gets blocked, so he remains blocked, but capture happens at the moment blockers are assigned. So when the check is done for overcrush during the resolve damage part, thenlogic follows "Is character blocked = yes, are all it's blockers KO'd = yes, because when this check is done Ultron Drone has 0 blockers".
    I like the way you have presented this concept. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    To go back to the original question, it is also useful for certain defenders to be captured so that they don't have their abilities activated (Jade Giant, Green Goliath, etc.).
    That is an extremely important thought, which had not occurred to me. Although it could be energy expensive, this card deals extremely well with those type of characters you mentioned when Ultron Drone attacks and uses his Global...

Pay . Choose an opposing character die to block a character die of your choice this turn.

You can make it more efficient with Goblin Attack Force Global.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankholdup View Post
    The distraction global removes attackers not blockers.
    Whoops! That's what happens when you start typing whilst remembering text from cards in your head. You are correct!

It can be expensive but that's why Kobolds are the drones best friend

If you plan on using Drones

This is my drones build. Its slow but it works. Won a tournament with it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	2681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultron Drone - One of a Million.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	2682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wasp-Founding-Avenger.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	2683 or Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulk Out.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	2684

I would go with Anger issues because it hits harder and its a 4 cost die. It makes me hesitate spending that much but it also keeps it from your opponent buying it too.

Sorry if i didnt found it in all these posts. But what happens if a ultron drone captures a Beast - Mutate #666.

Would i be able to draw dice from my bag or not because first Active players abilities solved before mine (Timing Issues)?