Thread: Another Jocasta SR question/discussion

Another Jocasta SR question/discussion

So I'm in a debate with some of my local players on Facebook.

The first time each turn Jocasta would be dealt damage, instead deal that damage to your opponent.
    Jocasta's Defense is either 4 or 6 depending on her level.

If I attack with a level 3 Hulk (8 Attack), and my opponent blocks with a level 1 Jocasta (4 Defense), how much damage do I take?

1.) All 8 damage is redirected - I take 8 damage.

2.) Hulk could only deal Jocasta 4 damage, with the rest being wasted - I take 4 damage.

Thoughts?

8 damage. All 8 is done simultaneously, any left over would be wasted. Thus all 8 is redirected.

All 8 would be redirected.

This is supported by the Wolverine 'The Best there Is' and Overcrush ruling.

"Overcrush considers all damage dealt to the blocking character(s), and then applies the “leftover” to your opponent."

So, you deal all the damage to characters first, so 8 to Jocasta. Then, of course, she would redirect it. Now, there's no leftover damage.

Opposing point of view:

Fairly certain that with the Jocasta, it is only as much damage as she has defense since anything over that is lost in the ether whether she redirects it or not.
    I still think that she only redirects as much damage as she can potentially block, though. If somebody pumps a character up to 15 through all the new buffs, she can't redirect 15 damage back at you.
    The extra damage goes nowhere. She was able to redirect the damage because she was blocking, and since Hulk is blocked, any damage that is not redirected just disappears in the same way it would if he was blocked by a sidekick (assuming we are no longer talking about overcrush).

So to be clear, if a Hulk with 8 attack was blocked by a Jocasta with 6 defense, 6 damage would be dealt to the attacking player's health points, the remaining 2 damage would simply be lost, and both Jocasta and Hulk survive and return to their respective fields.
    Basically until the Wizkids people finally rule on this we won't fully know.... But from all my people and other venues and forums it's damage up to the defense at the time.
    Like XXX is saying, all 8 of Hulk's attack wouldn't be directed back unless her defense has been bumped up to 8+. The card specifically states that the damage she "would be dealt" is what is redirected, and you can't deal her more damage than she is able to take. That extra damage is simply a remainder that goes unused.
    This ruling is going to be debated until WizKids makes an official ruling, but in the mean time, I would avoid thinking that you'll be able to get away with redirecting that 25 damage from the buffed up Gladiator Zombie your opponent is rocking. No event judge with any business being an event judge is going to rule that as how WizKids intended it until they explicitly say it is.
    I will not rule it that way. I guess we will truly know when they release a ruling....
    I really hope that's not how WizKids rules it. I don't want to instantly lose all faith I have in Eric Lang and Mike Elliot as designers.
    To me that would be stupidly op as you can have 4 and shes only a 4 cost to buy
    With that ruling, the word "powerful" is understating her usefulness to an incredible degree.
    The Jocasta/Mr. Fantastic combo is going to be viable either way, but in one sense of the ruling it is good and in the other it is game breaking. Get a couple globals you can use to boost your opponent's attack to 15, force them to attack, block it, you win, and I lose all respect for WizKids.
    I would just point out that the rulebook does say "Damage dealt to a character in excess of its defense has no effect." and not "Damage dealt to a character in excess of its defense lowers it's health into the negative range for some reason." To me, this says that a character can't take more hits than it defense allows, but regardless of the semantics of the English language, I suspect that eventually WizKids will rule that a single Jocasta die can't redirect 30 damage. Heaven forbid that your opponent has 4 Jocasta dice fielded. You're going to need 4 bolts each turn just to stop your own characters from flattening you in a single attack.
    Overcrush is very obvious, nobody is arguing that. In that case, leftover damage is redirected. However, Jocasta's ability isnt talking about leftover damage, its talking about the damage that is dealt to her, which according to the rules, sounds like only the damage that she can block, as all remaining "damage has no effect". Overcrush is not a good comparison to use here because it is specifically the damage that wasn't dealt directly to a character that is redirected, i.e. the exact opposite of a Jocasta ability.
    If you go with a Mr. Fantastic/Ultron Drone/Jocasta teamup with XXX's ruling, its almost literally unstoppable. Just force your opponent to attack and block with his strongest character(s) every turn and then just Jocasta his 15+ Attack character back at him. I'd like to think WizKids isn't dumb enough to make a card power like this, but they've made some terrible decisions in the past so I can't claim that with any confidence.

I love the way people cherry pick quotes from the rule book.

So, allow me to do the same...

"An attacking character must assign all of it's damage."

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I would just point out that the rulebook does say "Damage dealt to a character in excess of its defense has no effect."
    This single quote destroys any platform one might have in saying that Jocasta can only redirect damage up to her defense.

The rulebook itself acknowledges that damage can be dealt to a character in excess of their defense. It won't have any effect, but that's where the redirect comes into play. That damage that would be dealt to Jocasta is instead dealt to the opposing player. The damage would not have had an effect if it was dealt in excess of Jocasta's defense, but since it would have been dealt to her regardless of her defenses, she still redirects all of it to her opponent where it does have an effect.

This is what makes her awesome. Sent back a 16 point smack from my opponent's Wolverine the other night.

Correct. All combat damage is dealt simultaneously, with the exception of cheetah and maybe one other. Someone is silly enough to to double block her, they're taking more damage

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    This single quote destroys any platform one might have in saying that Jocasta can only redirect damage up to her defense.

The rulebook itself acknowledges that damage can be dealt to a character in excess of their defense. It won't have any effect, but that's where the redirect comes into play. That damage that would be dealt to Jocasta is instead dealt to the opposing player. The damage would not have had an effect if it was dealt in excess of Jocasta's defense, but since it would have been dealt to her regardless of her defenses, she still redirects all of it to her opponent where it does have an effect.
    ^^this^^
    No damage is actually ever dealt to her, so it's all 8

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post

^^this^^
    No damage is actually ever dealt to her, so it's all 8

Sorry about the double post, iPad connection problems

Quote Originally Posted by felix824 View Post
    Someone different subject, but what if someone pinged Jocasta with Magic Missile. Could I use Vibranium Shield's Global to prevent the potential damage to continue to keep her ability active for use later in the turn?
    I don't think that would work because Jocasta would still have been dealt damage.

Edit: Nevermind I was thinking you were using Vibranium Shield to prevent the damage from the player. Vibranium Shield could be used to prevent the damage to Jocasta.

I'm sure after wiz kids makes a ruling on the card they will design a card in war of light to counter Jocastas effects. like the rare cheetah counters over crush. Which is what I lost to in a recent rainbow tournament

I was also planning on selling my sr jacosta , but after reading this post I think I'm going to put it my pocket. I was thinking I got ripped off on my booster box getting one super rare ! Which isn't full art or anything cool. But I think I I'm happy now . I just can't believe I got 7 Maria hills !!!!! No!!!!

Why is Ko'd ? She took no damage so she returns back to the field of play after blocking

You are correct @Bestia - the opponent is hit instead of her.

Thought this would be a good spot to ask this question. If I am running Vibranium Shield - Cap's Protection, can I place it on my opponents Jocasta? Also if I am able to place it on Jocasta which player decides that it can be removed to prevent damage?

Yes, you could, and you would decide.

Edit: nope, misread. YOUR target character.