Thread: Obelisk Fist of Fate

Obelisk Fist of Fate

So, I had a quick question for what I believe may show up in the future. Say an opponent attacks with an Obelisk the Tormentor (If this monster is blocked but is not knocked out, it deals damage equal to its attack to your opponent (in addition to the damage it has already dealt to its blockers) and I decide to block it with a sidekick. Normally, it would deal it's attack value to my life directly. Is this considered an ability?

If so, does that mean I can use the Paladin Global "Global: Pay . Reduce the damage you take from a character's ability to 1." to reduce said damage to 1?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Scenttii; 07-24-2015 at 07:11 PM.

I would definitely say it's an ability, and yes Paladin's global can help.

Yes, i support crambaza post!,
    Paladin is good against When Fielded things like Gobby or Deathstroke, Obelisk or Overcrush characters.
    So when you bring the Bazooka to a Fight, never bring it together with the Weapon-Inspector!^^

That's what I was leaning towards but I was just making sure. I'm contemplating making a control deck as this game is very aggro focus. Hopefully, this will help me out!

For comparison, I would say

Is not damage from an ability, but essentially direct combat damage to an opponent through an indirect condition, and thus not Paladin-able.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post

Is not damage from an ability, but essentially direct combat damage to an opponent through an indirect condition, and thus not Paladin-able.
    Not sure if you are agreeing and using this as a counter example, or disagreeing and using this as proof.

I'm pretty sure Obelisk is ability damage that is variable based on level, but definitely not combat damage (since that goes to the blocker like normal).

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post

I would still say this is ability damage.

The ability is "While blocked, deal damage equal to this die's attack, and place it in used at the end of the turn."

Just because it mimics making it not blocked, that's not what the ability says.

It is an ability that is specifically dealing damage. Paladin should work.

It says instead. It is a redirect ability, which doesn't change the source of the damage (in this case Cyclops's combat damage), only the target. This is no different than Overcrush, as it simply modifies the destination of damage. Just because an effect results in damage to a target doesn't mean it generated that damage. Go to the source of the damage, that is the source for purposes of other game effects. In this case, the source of the damage is Cyclops doing combat damage.

The word instead doesn't matter.

What about

If Saggi dealt damage to a player, instead of a character, Paladin could be used here. It's an ability.

As well, combat damage replacement isn't a special case either. Let's look at the errata text for Spider-Man Wall-Crawler.

New Text: "Spider-Man: Wall-Crawler
    If Spider-Man attacks and is not blocked, you may pay [FF] to change your opponent’s life total to 10 instead of him dealing combat damage (before dealing damage)."

(I know Paladin wouldn't work here, because it isn't damage)
    BUT, if this Spider-man was causing damage, Paladin would work here too, even though it is combat damage replacement.

That's just where my head is at anyway.

Cyclops is a matter of semantics, but I'm interpreting it as "if he is blocked, he would be dealing combat damage to his blockers. Instead, you may deal this combat damage to your opponent." The ability isn't causing the damage, it's just changing where the already established combat damage is being assigned.

The key portion is "instead of his blocker(s)." If it were ability damage Cyclops were dealing, it should read something like "if Cyclops is blocked, he deals no damage to his blockers. Deal damage to your opponent equal to Cyclops' attack value." The instead indicates the damage would be combat damage that Cyclops is assigning to his blocker(s). It's already assigned, and not from an ability. The ability moves that damage to the opponent.

Well there was an explaining for ruling of Saggi the Dark Clown, and yes the word "Instead" matters a lot!

Because you could force Saggi to attack, and then he can choose instead to do his ability. So it is a matter of situation when the ability is triggered and what source will be directed somewhere else.

So Saggi is the point of interest that he attacks, but that doesn't change that he is an Attacking character. But well WK will show how to deal with it in a half year when the queastion for this is answered.

Obelisk: Yes, Paladin Global can reduce the damage to 1.

Cyclops: No, Paladin Global cannot reduce the damage to 1.

Saggi: Yes, Paladin Global can reduce the damage to 1.

Instead matters.

That is my opinion.