Thread: Anyone else hear anything about Force of Will.

Anyone else hear anything about Force of Will.

So I was getting my but handed me in a Rainbow Draft Wednesday, I walked over to the other tourney at my FLGS, and saw them playing this seriously pretty game called "Force of Will"

It was an Anime take on
    Classic Fairy Tales,
    Cthulu,
    Fantasy,

Was wondering if anyone else played it?

I haven't and don't know much about it but am admittedly curious. I don't do more than one "serious" game like this at a time, but don't mind dabbling once or twice as sometimes crossover of strategy can be helpful.

I've played it and kinda like it. Can't afford both Dice Masters and it simultaneously so I stick with DM for purchasing but if I were to pick up a second game it's one I'd consider. The resource system is nice.

That's all I need. Another TCG to check out.

Trying to find out how long it's been around. I've never heard of it before.

I find it's fairly different from MTG. The resource system prevents mana screw/flood for the most part. The fact that you have a hero guy that gives you an ability is also different than Magic. Also being able to attack exhausted creatures.

I watched a video and am intrigued. I might grab a little for fun. Things I like:

- Resource system
    - Ruler is like EDH commander or Netrunner identity
    - Flavor seems interesting
    - Phase structure reminds me favorably of Epic
    - Anime style looks crisp and fun without being too cartoonish

Want to know more about...

- Why does it have to be in multiples of hundreds? Hate that.
    - Concerned about the role of rarity.
    - Wonder how draft works

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I watched a video and am intrigued. I might grab a little for fun. Things I like:

- Resource system
    - Ruler is like EDH commander or Netrunner identity
    - Flavor seems interesting
    - Phase structure reminds me favorably of Epic
    - Anime style looks crisp and fun without being too cartoonish

- Wonder how draft works
    The game is actually really popular at my FLGS, and while I don't play it, I can try my best to answer these questions as a few of my friends do.

- I can only assume to try and pretend the system isn't like other card games.
    - This game is expensive. As in, people are buying cases upon cases to assemble decks.
    - Uhhhhhhhhhh, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

- Wonder how draft works
    I hate the way the numbering works too. The funny thing is if you remove the extra 0s and divide the numbers in half rounding up they actually aren't far removed from Magic's numbers. Mathematically they're very similar games. With YGO there are at least cards that dip below the thousands, and some with numbers in the 10s spot which make it impossible to break the numbers down like that.

Rarity exists to make some cards rare. It's not really different than any other ccg. Price was it's a lot cheaper than Magic, slightly cheaper than YGO, a lot more expensive than Dice Masters. Not sure what you'd be willing to pay.

Draft actually works fine assuming someone has a complete set of Jrulers or they allow you to proxy Jrulers for drafting purposes. The current set doesn't draft well though because it was designed to complete things from other sets while not technically being part of those blocks - so most of the cards might as well have no text since a lot of it is meant to have synergy with stuff you can't even draft.

Ok, so I picked up a starter and I was pretty impressed.

The art is such a HUGE focus on these cards. That's great. I also love that the ability text, which you'll need to reference a lot, is sans serif.

Having the resource deck separate? BRILLIANT.

One thing I did not like was that the starter did not have something that gave you a strategic background for each of the two decks, as other games often will. But that's ok.