Thread: When do KO'd characters go to Prep Zone?

When do KO'd characters go to Prep Zone?

When do KO'd chars to to the Prep Zone? Hold on, it's not as easy as you think.

A close reading of the Rulebook shows that it occurs in the last paragraph of Step 4 AND in the first paragraph of Step 5.

If it's in Step 4, I don't see how KO'd characters ever get to the last sentence in the last paragraph of Step 4.

(See AoU Rulebook, page 11.)

Given the recent rulings about KO'd characters having abilities still trigger, I'm leaning towards going to the Prep Area in Step 5.

...because that gives character's abilities time to trigger before they are KO'd. But I think it's inconsistently applied.

Back when there were the confusing rulings on Hulk Anger Issues, I wrote a post (on Facebook, I think) about this, and I am becoming increasingly convinced that this, and the KO zone on the playmats, is a hangover from the original rules before Out Of Play (AKA Transit) was removed by the original rules editor.

Here's how I think it should work:

KO is like OoP except dice in KO can be affected by game effects (so, a KO'd Hulk Anger Issues can revive himself, for example).

When a die takes damage equal to or greater than defence they are immediately moved to KO.

Dice remaining in KO move to Prep at end of turn, during Cleanup.

I've always left my dice in the KO area until the clean up step, and then moved them to the Prep Area. Seems intuitive.

Are we headed towards KO'd Batman:WGD retaliating from the "KO Zone" with only one foot in the grave? Or does he do that already? My head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Back when there were the confusing rulings on Hulk Anger Issues, I wrote a post (on Facebook, I think) about this, and I am becoming increasingly convinced that this, and the KO zone on the playmats, is a hangover from the original rules before Out Of Play (AKA Transit) was removed by the original rules editor.

Here's how I think it should work:

KO is like OoP except dice in KO can be affected by game effects (so, a KO'd Hulk Anger Issues can revive himself, for example).

When a die takes damage equal to or greater than defence they are immediately moved to KO.

Dice remaining in KO move to Prep at end of turn, during Cleanup.
    Yeah interesting things are like, on YGO there are some effects like Redeyed Black Dragon which forces you to put a die from Prep to Used Pile. So could he only effect dies that are lying there from the turn before that where KOd?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I've always left my dice in the KO area until the clean up step, and then moved them to the Prep Area. Seems intuitive.

Are we headed towards KO'd Batman:WGD retaliating from the "KO Zone" with only one foot in the grave? Or does he do that already? My head hurts.
    Well, note that I said "affected by game effects" and not "initiate game effects".

We have no evidence to suggest that KO'd dice can initiate game effects.

The Hulk Anger Issues example works because the game effect was initiated before Hulk was KO'd.

But this is very speculative and based on very small slivers of evidence, so take it all with several pinches of salt.
    Last edited by Scorpion0x17; 07-28-2015 at 12:57 AM.