Thread: Metagame

In short it's the game outside the game.

The longer explanation is that it's the preparation and foresight put forth before the actual playing of the game. What team to bring, what teams do you expect to see played, how you plan to beat those teams, the mental preparation...the showering.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    ...the showering.
    Which, and I'm thankful for this, is a very strong part of OUR local meta. Every player seems to shower at some point before coming to an event.

I'm not being as facetious as it sounds on the surface. I know that, in the past for other games, this didn't always seem to be part of the meta.

I always defined meta as being the game within the game. However, in terms of this application, it is quite literally the game outside of the game.

As Scum said, it's the prep work ahead of time. Studying trends in teams and combos so that you can accurately predict how to handle them. It's a gamble. It's a game - within the game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it doesn't matter.

It was always explained to me as being, "Anything you do regarding a game that isn't actually playing the game".