Thread: Which set to draft?

Which set to draft?

So my LGS is running a format this weekend where everyone buys 10 boosters and makes a team with those cards as their choices (similar to a sealed format). The kicker is that each person can choose which set they want to get their boosters from and only that set. I am not a collector but have amassed most cards from all the current sets so I'm not really going for any rare or super rare (though Constantine Hellblazer would be awesome). Basic Actions can be used from any set per usual. The only limitation is that we can't pick AvX as the store has no gravity feeds in stock.

The question is, which set should I pick?

If you want to suggest AvX on the off chance the owner gets his hands on a gravity feed by Saturday, please also suggest a secondary set in case he still lacks the cards by then. Also, any reasoning behind your choice would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Edits: So far JL which does have good options and the one super rare I wouldn't mine getting on the off chance fate smiles upon me.

*Update* So the TO changed up the format slightly. We were allowed to pick 10 packs from any sets. I decided to try 2 with JL (hoping for a constantine - hellblazer)and 8 Yugioh packs. I did not get Hellblazer, but I did luck out with Yugioh and managed to draft low costs and my two win conditions, Goblin Attack Force and Gaia the Fierce Knight. I managed to out rush any opponent who brought Imprison and pound through other defenses all the way to the top for a 4 - 0 victory.

One person went D&D heavy, a few went with AoU, and one other went Yugioh (pulled the BEWD rare >.<).
    Last edited by bahamut7; 08-03-2015 at 04:06 PM.

I feel Justice League has the most direct burn so is the safest bet.

That sounds like a hybrid, where you also bring 4 cards with 3 dice each and 2 BACs with 3 dice. If that's what you're doing, consider if you want to try for a 4th die with the cards you brought--and draft from that set.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    That sounds like a hybrid, where you also bring 4 cards with 3 dice each and 2 BACs with 3 dice. If that's what you're doing, consider if you want to try for a 4th die with the cards you brought--and draft from that set.
    It's not a hybrid. The only thing we bring are BAC and sidekick dice. Our team of 8 is composed from the bought boosters.

Okay... doesn't sound like anyone will have close to 20 dice, though.

Yeah, with 10 packs I'd be surprised if anyone had more than 10 dice.

You don't need 20 to win. That's the fun of these formats, you make do with what you got. Besides with 20 dice, the odds are you will get at least one character with multiple dice.

Wasn't saying you need 20 to win, just to be "normal." I agree it will be fun, and challenging. I'm in a hybrid this Saturday that will be my 1st in that format. Really looking forward to it.

Hard to say... I love the D&D set, and there's a lot of solid low cost characters to use, but there's also a lot of characters that would be useless against non-D&D characters. Uncommon Stirge would be what I'd hope for most.

I actually don't like the DC set for this because of the costs of the characters and odds seem too good you'll get stuck with a team of 5+ cost characters.

AoU might actually be your best bet. There's a lot of good low cost characters to choose from. Specifically I like GiantMan, Rocket, UltronDrone, Beast, uncommon Phil Colson... Lotta good options in the set.

Bear in mind that if you draft UXM, you have a good chance of getting the common PXG. That can help a lot with whatever else you draft.

I think AoU gives you the best chances for a strong team. As much as Justice League had great ways to win in a draft, with such a small pull of 10 packs I would caution against JL because as mentioned above those cards in general run higher in cost.

I'm actually curious about this. Can you post the results when the tournament is over? I'm curious as to which set actually wins out.

I'd say AoU by far, but I'd have a lot of fun drafting D&D too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    I'm actually curious about this. Can you post the results when the tournament is over? I'm curious as to which set actually wins out.
    I will. I will take bote of what everyone picks and see what worked better and why.