Thread: Hulk - Big Green Bruiser

Hulk - Big Green Bruiser

Overcrush

If Hulk attacks and is not blocked, spin him down one level. If you do, he does not move to the Used Pile.
    1. Is the spin down optional or not?
    2. Does it occur before or after damage is dealt?

(Posted to WizKids rules forum)

It is not clear just based on the card, but it feels like this ability was meant as a reward for going unblocked and doing combat damage to the player...because of the used pile reference.

Since the Used pile would come after assigning damage, I would say I would say the answer to your second question is "After".

And I think the answer to your first question is "Not". It doesn't say "you may spin him down", so it sounds pretty not-optional to me. I believe the "If you do" wording is there to imply that if it is impossible to spin him down, then he does go to the used pile.

What frustrates me about this card is that, if you are able to spin him down...it doesn't say where Hulk goes instead of the used pile. In most examples where an unblocked die avoids the used pile, they go to prep instead, but this card doesn't say that...so does he stay fielded? I think that is how I would play it...

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    What frustrates me about this card is that, if you are able to spin him down...it doesn't say where Hulk goes instead of the used pile. In most examples where an unblocked die avoids the used pile, they go to prep instead, but this card doesn't say that...so does he stay fielded? I think that is how I would play it...
    Take the word "move" in his text. It means he just stays where he was , in the attack zone and goes back to Field after the Attack step if he was spinned down.

He must remain in the field if spun down.

Otherwise what is the point of spinning him down?

And my gut feeling is that it's not optional, and occurs before damage is dealt.

I would say yes, because the fullfillment to spin him down was made before the Global kicks in.

My initial thought on this was that the intent was for Hulk to not kick in until after damage was dealt, but the more I read it the more I think that he does spin down the moment your opponent chooses not to block him. If he then goes through without any shenanigans he returns to the field. I think the idea is to force your opponent into choosing whether they'd rather block and maybe let some Overcrush damage spill over, but keep a bigger body in the field that can block or swing again, or to go ahead and eat some damage but at least he gets spun down before doing so.

It also means that Gamma Powered isn't a strictly worse version of the same card.

More I read over, more I think it's before damage is done, but I didn't before this discussion started. Why some cards have text that explicitly say this and others don't... well, we would have to ask WK.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    More I read over, more I think it's before damage is done, but I didn't before this discussion started. Why some cards have text that explicitly say this and others don't... well, we would have to ask WK.
    I think older cards had some texts like "No matter how many ... die" for While active and so on for other cards because it was not clear as the day to understand what cards otherwise could do or not.

But now we have the need for wisdom and knowledge of this game and the more they produce new cards the shorter the texts become.well at least thats my feeling about it. and that is not good.

I hope someday they will have Key Words that are big printed and defines there mechanism in the game , when and where.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    He must remain in the field if spun down.

Otherwise what is the point of spinning him down?

And my gut feeling is that it's not optional, and occurs before damage is dealt.
    You mean you haven't heard of the ruling that you can attack from the Prep Area..?

Haha...silly me...of course he stays in the field. Sorry about that. I've only played one game with AOU cards so far...obviously I need to spend a little more time with my cards.

And upon further think time with this...I think you might be right about having it spin down immidiately, before resolving damange. It makes for an interesting decision by the blocking player, and was likely the intent.

The problem with "loaded" keywords is you either have to know what they mean OR give reminder text on every card that uses them. I'm trying to imagine what card text might look like...

Fielded. Move one Sidekick die from your Used Pile to your Prep Area.
    Active. All of your opponent's Sidekick characters cost 1 extra to field.
    Attack. +1A against Sidekick characters.