Thread: RED SKULL

RED SKULL

the common:
    If Red Skull is KOd, your opponent chooses: either Red Skull deals 2 damage to your opponent or you gain 2 life.

Can "opponent" choose the gain life if Red Skull's controller it's already at 20?

Also, the rare:
    Teamwatch when you field a character who shares an affiliation with Red Skull, spin down all of his characters one level or spin up all of your character dice one level (your opponent chooses).

Can opponent choose spin up, if Red Skull's controller has only level 3 and/or SK's?

Precedent:

I attack with:

My opponent has:
    A level 2

and a SK. Nothing else..

Can I choose to level down the SK?

I was told a long time ago, that you can't choose the SK. You must choose the Beast as it is the only valid target, and when resolving abilities, you must do as much as possible.
    I didn't agree with that ruling then, and still don't! I like the intentions behind "do as much as possible", but also feel that targeting the SK should be allowed, as it is a legal target... Basically, my argument is: "Can't be spun down" is not the same as "Can't be targeted to spin down"

Warning, silly argument:
    So does that mean Superman can't be assigned to block???
    (Superman cannot be damaged during the Attack Step.)
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 07-30-2015 at 12:04 PM.

SK is not a legal target. You cannot target die that is not even capable of spinning down for an ability that requires you to spin something down. You cannot spin a SK down for the same reason you cannot spin one up - there is no other lvl than 1.

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    SK is not a legal target. You cannot target die that is not even capable of spinning down for an ability that requires you to spin something down. You cannot spin a SK down for the same reason you cannot spin one up - there is no other lvl than 1.
    Yes, that's correct. It shouldn't be, but it is. That's the rules!
    And using that as precedent, the answer to this:Can "opponent" choose the gain life if Red Skull's controller it's already at 20?......is........????

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    Oh I see. You disagree with my phrase "sidekick is a legal target"...
    In other games (say mtg) it would be. Black widows target needs to be= "opponents character".... that's it... THIS DOESN'T WORK THIS WAY IN DM, just to be clear...

The answer is.... "We just don't know".

The 'received wisdom' seems to be that yes, the opponent can choose the 'gain 2 life' option when you are at 20.

And my initial thought was that that was the case too.

However I am becoming increasingly doubtful about that.

But more through gut feeling than anything else.

My thinking is that whatever choice your opponent makes is blind to the game state. They make a choice and then the ability does as much as it can given where the game is at. So your opponent chooses to gain 2 life, the game then checks to see where his/her life total is at. Oh, it's at 20? Nothing happens. Your opponent chooses to spin up all your characters, the game then checks to see what can be spun up. Everything's already level 3? Cool, nothing happens.

I can easily see the case for disallowing a choice that can't be completed, though.

Does anyone know where I can find a ruling on the black widow situation?

The difference here between the Tsarina example is that or "all" versus "target".

You can't play an action die that targets a character if there are no characters, but you can play an action die that affects all characters, with no characters in the field.

Can I choose to level down the SK?
    Does this help, specifically #3.
    3) If the helmet is in the field while unequipped, can it be damaged or targeted?

Anything that is in the field can be targeted by an effect or ability that effects that type of die. A gear die may not be “damaged,” however, as it is not a character and does not have a defense value.
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...argeted#p16161

Following this logic, a level 1 dice (like a sidekick) could be targeted, even if it can't spun down.

Gain life while already at 20, and yes, Black Widow can target the Sidekick.

I dont see whats the problem here.
    Red Skull, they choose to either take 2 damage or you gain 2 life. You're at 20. They can choose the life gain because nothing will happen.

Same applies for the Rare. Everything is at level 3 and when you field a villain you can spin up but nothing will happen because they are already at level 3.

No, Black Widow can choose sidekicks. They are at level 1 regardless so I dont see why you would bother choosing one.

The more I think about this the more sure I am that my gut feeling was just indigestion.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    No, Black Widow can choose sidekicks. They are at level 1 regardless so I dont see why you would bother choosing one.
    Because you don't want that pesky Jade Giant at level 1 instead of level 3.