Thread: How does whizkids develop and play-test this game I love? (Innocent querry)

How does whizkids develop and play-test this game I love? (Innocent querry)

First, I am asking this question not in a ciritical manner.

Rather, the more I play this game, I find myself appreciating
    the importance of game balance and design, especially with the idea
    of future releases needing to integrate.

So for starters... how does the development team work?
    Is it 2-3 guys sitting down and mapping out a "set"?
    Do they ask each other questions such as "Ok we need to have X many cards costing this
    and X amount of cards that do that.."

I'm really curious how the process works.

As a side note....does anyone know if there are plans to
    eventualy make only the "x most recent" sets tournament legal?
    Will there be a phasing out of old sets? Or will there be
    2 types of OP suported tournamenents?

Inquiring minds want to know

Thank you all for being such a great community!
    -Runatyr

Well, Wizkids is a team of just 10 people - and those people work on multiple games. As far as I know there are just 2 working on Dice Masters design.

As for rotation, nothing announced yet but assuming it follows the Clix method of rotation it'll rotate every 3 years.

I wish there was a way to ask them for more boxed sets like TMNT. That is SO nice.

I've actually found D&D Attack Wing to be incredibly balanced. I've won games with multiple different units and upgrades. DM is very balanced as well, but I wonder if some of it is ingenuity of players combining cards from different sets. At least POWER CREEP hasn't been a factor.

wow i did not realize there were so few people involved with whizkids...pretty cool when you think about everything they do

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    I've actually found D&D Attack Wing to be incredibly balanced. I've won games with multiple different units and upgrades. DM is very balanced as well, but I wonder if some of it is ingenuity of players combining cards from different sets. At least POWER CREEP hasn't been a factor.
    It's not so much balance as interactions and poor wording that caused us issues. It's easy to underestimate how many arguments loose or vague wording an generate. Maybe this is particularly an issue in my group over others as one of our players always takes a diametrically opposed interpretation to myself and we both entrench our positions. It's got to the point where we've had to ban twilight imperium from the table for several months after our last game ended in a near hour disagreement that left everyone involved with a sour taste.

Oh and before others think I'm just blaming him I fully hold my hands up that I'm at least 45% of the problem. (Lowered from 50 as I'm actually open to good reason if it can be presented). And yes I am working on this.