Thread: Spider-Man Tiger

Spider-Man Tiger

Spider-Man:
    You may pay to prevent Spider-Man from being affected by an ability or game effect (other than damage from a character engaged with him).
    So my question is, can i pay this fist even when it is my opponents turn? And is it like a Global or can i do it even at the beginning of the turn?

I know there was a question for him in WKRF about preventing effects on him, and the answer was to pay the fist before the enemy gets the priority or an while active effect is on the field.

Because if i could use him at the start of the turn of my enemy, i could counter the Webhead guy and Relentless.

I would read Spider-Man's text as functionally a Global, but one that only you have access to. You would only be able to use it when you could use a Global.

My question would be is it a preventative Global (like Shockwave) or a triggered Global. Based on the Shockwave ruling here, I would say it is preventative, and could only be used once the opponent passes priority to you in the Main Step (and likely after he has done whatever you wanted to avoid).

I would say the same, thanks pk!
    Guess i will never find a way to avoid this Webhead Guy... :S

This needs asking, and answering, on the rules forum.

I personally would play his ability as a reactive effect prevention ability that you can pay to activate at any time it is appropriate.

But it's not worded as a "When X pay Y to do Z", so can see it going either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    I would say the same, thanks pk!
    Guess i will never find a way to avoid this Webhead Guy... :S
    Could you be a bit more specific with what you are trying to do? I looked at the text on Webhead and I suspect you may be trying to refer to a different card.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    This needs asking, and answering, on the rules forum.

I personally would play his ability as a reactive effect prevention ability that you can pay to activate at any time it is appropriate.

But it's not worded as a "When X pay Y to do Z", so can see it going either way.
    I think that makes sense intuitively. But the ruling on the Shockwave Global makes me think otherwise.

But i as the rulesbook state,it is not allowed to use globals and abilities to react on things that the enemy do, except it is directly stated like Storm Weather Witch with Redirecting or some characters that do something when get damage or like Jocasta.

Because the text says not when i can do it, doesnt mean, i can just ignore the main rules of this game(because it is not directly stated or like an Errata like for YGO Action dice).

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I think that makes sense intuitively. But the ruling on the Shockwave Global makes me think otherwise.
    I never read Shockwave as reactive, always preemptive.

So I don't think that applies in this instance.

But, like I said, the non-standardised wording of Tiger makes me somewhat doubtful of my interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Could you be a bit more specific with what you are trying to do? I looked at the text on Webhead and I suspect you may be trying to refer to a different card.
    Sorry Sorry i wrote first Webcrawler, then Webhead,

i ment Webslinger

gosh i weak with writing today @_@ .

I try to find a way have at least one character out there that doesnt have to block him.

But i as the rulesbook state,it is not allowed to use globals and abilities to react on things that the enemy do, except it is directly stated like Storm Weather Witch with Redirecting or some characters that do something when get damage or like Jocasta.

Because the text says not when i can do it, doesnt mean, i can just ignore the main rules of this game(because it is not directly stated or like an Errata like for YGO Action dice).
    Yes, that is why I have some doubt.

However what Tiger does say is:

"You may pay X to prevent Y"

And the rule book says:

"Some powers prevent a game effect (damage, drawing a die, etc.). ... When an action is prevented, all of the effects of that ability are canceled..."

Which certainly sounds, to me, like something you can only do in reaction to the effect being prevented.

But, like I said, needs ruling on, because it's not clear, and I can see it going either way.

Wow i got break through, because of the language difference in reading to german, well

i think your correct and it is indeed reactive.
    Because the text states a single ability. Also there is written "may" so i can also let it happen.
    So if my opponent casts Relentless global on him i pay a fist to undo it, if a Webslinger comes to the Fight and offers all my Characters a hug i pay a fist too.

Man was i blind! But still interested in an official answer to this.

Sorry Sorry i wrote first Webcrawler, then Webhead,

i ment Webslinger

gosh i weak with writing today @_@ .

I try to find a way have at least one character out there that doesnt have to block him.
    Well Tiger would be a counter to Webslinger regardless of how it works. You could pay the during the Main Step, and it would prevent Webslinger's ability later on during the Attack Step when they trigger that.

It (likely) wouldn't work on Relentless (if it is, in fact, preventative) because your opponent would use the Relentless Global in the Main Step before you had a chance to use Tiger.

If it is ruled that Tiger is reactive, then it would be effective in either case.

However i think Tiger sounds like a good backup strategy on many situations, as long as you dont use DCK Global(because you want to do globals on your own characters in the attack)

Tiger's ability falls under "redirect and prevention" abilities and thus can be played as a response to a trigger. Also of note, his ability doesn't stop the ability that triggers him, it simply makes him immune. As an example, he could pay a fist not to be effected by Fireball, but everything else would still take the damage.

Are you sure? So do you mean i can pay 1 fist to make him safe for what is written on his card and even when this fist was used, i can pay another one to redirect or more cancel abilities like Webslinger, Deadpool Jack or Relentless?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Tiger's ability falls under "redirect and prevention" abilities and thus can be played as a response to a trigger. Also of note, his ability doesn't stop the ability that triggers him, it simply makes him immune. As an example, he could pay a fist not to be effected by Fireball, but everything else would still take the damage.
    Even with the ruling on the Shockwave Global?

In case it wasn't clear from my posts...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    ^^^This is my reading of the ability too.

(With the caveat that the unusual wording could mean otherwise)

Shockwave is not a "redirect or prevention ability". It does make a character "unaffected" by some effects, but does not "prevent" those effects Prevent and Redirect are the keywords we need to look for. Some effects (strom global) redirect without specifically saying redirect, but there is no instance of a card "preventing" and effect without using the word "prevent".