Thread: AoU - Clear and Draw step change in rulebook

AoU - Clear and Draw step change in rulebook

Under the Clear and Draw Step section, it used to read (up until the DC:JL set):

"If, after refilling the bag from the used pile, you are still only able to draw 3 dice or fewer, take 1 damage and gain 1 generic energy for each die below four that you drew. For example, if you drew only two dice from the bag, you would gain 2 generic energy and take 2 damage."
    It now says:
    "If, after refilling the bag from the used pile, you are still only able to draw four dice or fewer, lose one life and gain 1 generic energy for each die below four that you drew. For example, if you drew only three dice from the bag, you would gain one generic energy and lose one life"
    Changes a some things with the new wording, but adds in some confusion - Since you normally draw only 4 dice, how does one lose life when they only draw 4?

You don't.

You "lose one life and gain 1 generic energy for each die below four that you drew".

So, if you drew 4 then that is 0 below four, and so you gain 0 generic energy and lose 0 life.

Also, note that this is one of the core rules that has actually changed since the beginning - you no longer "take damage" (and therefore potentially trigger Hulk), it is explicitly a "loss of life".

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Also, note that this is one of the core rules that has actually changed since the beginning - you no longer "take damage" (and therefore potentially trigger Hulk), it is explicitly a "loss of life".
    very good observation.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Hulk situation was my first thought as well.

I actually thought this had been changed in a much earlier rule book...

It was definitely ruled upon some time ago, because I've been playing it that way for a while now.

Certainly since PXG made bag-burn a regular occurrence for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakolich View Post
    So if you can only draw 1 die from your bag of the 4 you're supposed to draw in the clear and draw step, do you lose 3 life and gain 3 generic energy or do you lose 1 life and gain 3 generic energy?
    you lose 3 life and gain 3 generic energy