Thread: "Playing" an ActionDie

"Playing" an ActionDie

Does it count as "playing an action die" if:

1. Assemble is played but no character dice are in the bag.
    2. Assemble is played but the dice bag is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Assemble
    Search your bag for a character die and field it at level 1, for free.
    Teamwork - repeat this effect for another affiliated character.
    This is in reference to cards like The Flash: Speedster.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flash: Speedster
    If you played a basic action this turn, The Flash is unblockable while attacking alone.

My gut says no. Doesn't mean it's right.

I base this off of a chronic paranoia that Heroclix has instilled in me wherein; if the result of an ability or action does not include a modifier implying choice (such as "can", "may", "might" etc) or incomplete applications (such as "up to", "as many as", etc), then the rule is read as MUST.

In this case, Assemble would read as: You MUST search your bag for a character die and field it at level 1, for free.

This is further reinforced from my (albeit limited) experience in Dice Masters, where the outcome that is least in your favor is usually the correct one. Trying to scrounge up some kind of official ruling. All I can find so far is more speculation. Most of which follow similar veins of logic as my own.

I think:

1. Yes. You may search even if you know there is no character in there.

2. I can see this being ruled either way. There is also the question of whether you refill your bag from Used, if the bag is empty.

So, does this count as using the Action?

In case 1, yes. You never have to completely fulfil an action to use it. You just have to do as much as you can.

In case 2, if they rule that you cannot search your bag when it is empty, then no, because if an action is not legal you cannot use it.

But, if they rule that you can search an empty bag and/or that you refill from Used, then yes, as in case 1, this would count as using the action.

I see no rule that would apply to refill the bag to "search" it, so I think it would remain empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I see no rule that would apply to refill the bag to "search" it, so I think it would remain empty.
    Well, it's a question of whether searching counts as drawing or not.

I'm sure you could give me examples of other games where it does not.

And I could give you examples of games where it does.

Until we get a ruling from WizKids on it there is no way to know.

We can't delete our posts? Oops...
    Last edited by Chum Bucket; 08-05-2015 at 05:38 AM. Reason: misquote and misreading