Thread: Direct Damage/Bolt team

Direct Damage/Bolt team

Here's a direct damage team I've been toying with the last few days. I was thinking of adding Captain America: Super Soldier to the team for direct damage protection, but I'm not sure who to drop, maybe Pepper or Wasp. Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=4x...ectDamageBolts

Win condition:
    Human Torch: Johnny Storm (get out early and ping opponent often)
    Jocasta: Patterned After Janet (redirect damage, decent defense)

Targeted Removal:
    Punisher: McRook (KO larger characters or ping opponent)

Counters/Control:
    Wasp: Founding Avenger (limit global use by opponent and ping opponent)
    Human Paladin: Lesser Emerald Enclave (protect my characters from globals)
    Loki: Gem Keeper (shut down larger characters, good defense)

Ramp:
    Kobold: Greater Humanoid (cheap bodies to fuel Johnny Storm)
    Pepper Potts: Personal Secretary of Tony Stark (extra bolts,and defensive boost)

Basic Actions:
    Distraction: To remove threats from the field. Paladin will protect my characters from the global.
    Power Bolt: Continue to ping opponent if Johnny Storm gets shut down, or help with removal.

Just looking at it (not breaking it out and playing it)

I think you have to much protection from globals, either go with Wasp or Human Paladin - Not both

So I would drop Human Paladin to put in Capitan - because then you get the global effect of Paladin for free

Wasp was more to hurt my opponent if they used global on themselves (PXG), but yeah I agree. That's why I was considering swapping Wasp out.

What about using Magic Missile instead of Power Bolt? It gives you the opportunity to easy ping Jocasta via its global or have some extra damage with the bursts and Human Paladin in the field if it's your active turn for either Jocasta or your opponent.

That's a terrible idea. Magic missile and Jocasta do not work together. They would ping her before she could do her effect.

Keep Wasp, Kick out Human Paladin. Never run Human Paladin with Jocasta. Sure he protects you from Globals but you're running Wasp and the biggest thing to screw you over is the Human Paladins Global. You do a giant amount of damage with Jocasta and then they pay a simple shield and bring all that damage down to 1. If you're running Jocasta, try running it with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	2283 and maybe if you want some solid spot removal because you have Baron Zemo, this
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 08-04-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Keep Wasp, Kick out Human Paladin. Never run Human Paladin with Jocasta. Sure he protects you from Globals but you're running Wasp and the biggest thing to screw you over is Human Paladins Global. You do a giant amount of damage with Jocasta and then they pay a simple shield and bring all that damage down to 1. If you;re running Jocasta, try runing it with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	2283 and maybe if you want some solid spot removal because you have Baron Zemo, this
    Duh, I was thinking Human Paladin would prevent my opponent from using the global, but Jocasta is doing damage to my opponent, not a character. Maybe I'll consider using a card other than Jocasta. I don't have those YGO cards you mentioned.

Again, Human Paladin works from Globals from hitting your characters but the Paladins Global helps your opponent from Jocastas damage. It nullifies her damage from 5 to 1 by paying a shield. It says so on the Global "Global: Pay Reduce the damage you take from a character's ability to 1.

........Do you not know how Jocasta works? The first time she is hit, all the damage bounces off her and goes to the opponent. What does the hammer do?

But the source of the damage isn't a character ability, it's the Mjolnir action die. Redirects don't change the source.

Again your dealing 5/6/8 damage to Jocasta. As it reads for Jocasta, the first time she is hit deal all that damage to the opponent. Which is her ability. Human Paladins ability nufilies it to 1

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Jocasta's ability is to redirect damage, her ability does not do damage. Tsarina's ability and Gobby's ability both do damage. Jocasta's does not.

Human Paladin's global can be used to reduce damage from an ability.

Jocasta's ability doesn't deal damage, it redirects it.

Redirecting an effect does not change the source or nature of that effect.

So, have Jocasta and Human Torch fielded, field another character, ping Jocasta, Jocasta redirects the ping, the ping still comes from Human Torch, and is still damage from an ability, and Human Paladin global can be used to reduce it to 1 (which it already is, but ignore that for the purposes of illustration).

But, have Jocasta fielded, play Mjolnir, Mjolnir damages Jocasta, Jocasta redirects the damage, the damage still comes from Mjolnir, and is still damage from an Action, and Human Paladin global can not be used to reduce it to 1.

A ruling on what? Jocasta? Paladin? The way redirection works?

On redirection

Considering that Mjolnier is relevant now because of Jocasta, the Human Paladin global might change. The only characters that can kill Jocasta's ability is Captain America. To kill Mjolnier it would need to be Doom CaliberKnight.
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 08-05-2015 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    That's a terrible idea. Magic missile and Jocasta do not work together. They would ping her before she could do her effect.
    Active player takes precedence during their active turn. So it's bs what you're saying here. The only thing that could be considered bad is that they can ping her on their own turn dealing themselves 1 damage with it so you can't use Jocasta's ability on blocking something like a Hulk.