Thread: Running or Participating in a Hybrid Format Event

Running or Participating in a Hybrid Format Event

In case you are not familiar with Hybrid or other formats, @IsaacBV has written a great article outlining the differences here.

I am looking for best practices when running or participating in a Hybrid Format event. Questions I have include:

1) What is the best ratio of constructed vs sealed characters? Example: 4 constructed/4 sealed or 6 constructed/2 sealed?
    2) Is it required that participants construct their team prior to executing the sealed portion? Or could this be performed after?
    3) Can you draft the sealed portion as opposed to solely opening booster packs? Is it somehow better not to draft?
    4) Not having organized or participated in a Hybrid Format event, is it even worthwhile? Meaning do participants enjoy the format or potentially look at it as a nuisance?
    5) Finally, does Hybrid work in casual play setting? (Thought was to support FLGS by purchasing booster packs outside of tournament play.)

Thanks in advance for any input.

1. I'd do 4/4.

2. For time's sake I'd say prior to event.

3. I think it's a different skill-set. You get what you get rather than trying to get as many dice of the same character and fighting over them.

4. I've done it once, it's interesting because you kinda have to choose between bringing a win condition and hoping to draw control, or bringing control and hoping to draw a win condition.

5. I think so. See #4.

I'll second what pk said.

Bring 4 card's with 3 Dice (or the max, whichever is lower). The Hybrid I played in it was not required to use all of the cards/dice brought, so if you got some good sealed you could go with that instead, but maybe with less dice.

We did hybrid events back when we did AvX OP. It was 4/4, and what happened was everyone played a 4 character constructed team and the packs mostly didn't matter.

"Welcome to Whose Line Is It Anyway, the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter. Just like those characters you draft in a Hybrid game of Dice Masters."