Thread: Best of 1's - how they can or shoud work

Best of 1's - how they can or should work

Another thread about Rainbow Draft time limits reminded me of these questions I had for the group regarding ties and how to choose a winner.

In a best of 1 format:
    1) Do you allow for ties?
    2) Do you force a winner? If so how? (roll off, highest life at turn 5 of overtime)
    3) Is there any Wizkids documentation to support how to operate a best of 1?
    Last edited by fun4willis; 08-07-2015 at 12:21 AM.

I honestly don't see a reason to not allow ties. Forcing a winner by arbitrary methods is just awful.

Here is how we do it at the store I frequent:

1. Do you allows for ties?
    1a. Yes, we do. We have a 30 minute timer. Once the 30 minutes is up, it goes 0-1-2-3 for turns. This means that the player currently taking a turn is turn 0. If, after turn 3, nobody's life total is at 0, there is a tie.

2. Do you force a winnder? if so how?
    2a. No, we never force a winner. Wizkids event system allows for ties, so there should be no reason why we wouldn't as well.

3. is there any Wizkids documenation to support how to operate a best of 1?
    3a. Not that I know of. We switched over so we could play more games against each other. I honestly thought I was going to get cheaped at first, but I found that I never felt that way after playing.

Wizkids documentation:
    "1.2.7
    Timekeeping: 50 minutes is recommended for a 3-game series of Dice Masters. Once time is called, the active player finishes their current turn and the game proceeds to a 5 turn extension. At the end of these 5 turns, if the game is incomplete it is a tie. In single elimination, the player with the highest life total is the winner. Every game in a round should have the same time limit applied to it. Barring any special circumstances, every round in a tournament should have the same time limit applied to it."

Quote Originally Posted by crambaza View Post
    Wizkids documentation:
    "1.2.7
    Timekeeping: 50 minutes is recommended for a 3-game series of Dice Masters. Once time is called, the active player finishes their current turn and the game proceeds to a 5 turn extension. At the end of these 5 turns, if the game is incomplete it is a tie. In single elimination, the player with the highest life total is the winner. Every game in a round should have the same time limit applied to it. Barring any special circumstances, every round in a tournament should have the same time limit applied to it."
    I've read this from the official tournament rules before. For those interested it can be found here.

I question whether this covers 3 round single-game? But from re-reading I think following the same 5 turns at time applies whether it is a best of three or single-game non-elimination.

Appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    I honestly don't see a reason to not allow ties. Forcing a winner by arbitrary methods is just awful.
    This. 100% this. I agree with Scum. I could not agree with Scum more. I could try. I would be unsuccessful.