Thread: Patch + Imprisoned Build Help

Patch + Imprisoned Build Help

I'm fairly set on the core set of cards below, but I'm looking to round it out to give me the most flexibility for most situations. I'm very inconsistent with my build order, especially what to purchase during turns 1-2. Typically I open very defensively with Black Widow and Beast to wall up then ramp up to Hulk, Human Torch, Patch and Imprisoned but usually the game dictates in a way that forces me to purchase reactively. Turning to the community to help me figure out which card(s) would be the most useful and beneficial to my team, or how to play this build efficiently.

Open to any types of suggestions of cards from any series, but any constructive input is appreciated, thanks!

Update: new build based on feedback.

Last edited by reaverdrop; 08-12-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Updated with new build based on feedback.

Your build is very vulnerable to your opponent buying your Imprisoned dice and using them to snatch the large amount of low TFC dice you have. To fix this, bring along either Phoenix or Mr. Fantastic to force your opponent to attack into you and set your guys free. If you want to keep them from using that strategy against you, bring Human Paladin - Lesser Emerald Enclave for global protection. Finally, I'm unconvinced by Enrage and would rather an overcrush die with pump, such as Anger Issues or Horn of the Unicorn, or Magic Missile to give yourself a way to trigger Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Your build is very vulnerable to your opponent buying your Imprisoned dice and using them to snatch the large amount of low TFC dice you have. To fix this, bring along either Phoenix or Mr. Fantastic to force your opponent to attack into you and set your guys free. If you want to keep them from using that strategy against you, bring Human Paladin - Lesser Emerald Enclave for global protection. Finally, I'm unconvinced by Enrage and would rather an overcrush die with pump, such as Anger Issues or Horn of the Unicorn, or Magic Missile to give yourself a way to trigger Hulk.
    Didn't even think about my opponent buying up my Imprisoned dice - great feedback. I like the idea of using Phoenix/Mr. Fantastic + Human Paladin - Lesser Emerald Enclave to prevent that. I don't have Anger Issues or Horn of the Unicorn, and can't I just use Johnny Storm's ability to trigger Hulk or force Hulk to block with Phoenix/Mr. Fantastic global?

Imprisoned is a very scary BAC to bring to the table, a blade that cuts both ways, so I never bother unless I'm sure I can use it better than my opponent.

When it comes to triggering Hulk, you very well could trigger him using either of those methods, but I prefer something more reliable. It's not necessarily a very big worry, it's more a matter of my own playstyle. I like having a 100% sure thing when it comes to Hulk since everytime I've run him without, it has ended poorly for me. Once bitten, twice shy, and all that jazz.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    There are arguments for both, but if you're saving masks, then you'll likely have one if necessary by running Mr. F. Alternatively, if you're running Phoenix, you'll be saving bolts by design.

If one is running Green Goliath and some kind of bolt based ping, be it Magic Missile or SLifer then Phoenix is a good choice as she can work on saved bolts, and not eat into your ramp.
    But if we go into alternate, non global based ways to trigger Hulk, then Mr Fantastic is working better, as he is a 3 cost decent defense, and mask himself, so he has some utility above being a global.
    Running Polymorph is a good way to sneak early Hulk, and allows to use Giant Man, who can deal some great damage with Patch.
    With some spinning down elements in the team I would consider adding something that lets you reap some benefit. Umber Hulk: Paragon Beast or Vibe: Formerly Hardline look like a good choice, the first one is sort like a mass field Storm, Vibe can help with bringing defenders down, as spinned down, are hurt, and much closer to a ping from Human Torch.

You'r fine with Human Torch, Hulk and Patch. You can already ping Hulk with Human Torch possibly wiping the board. How about instead of Enrage you use Kobolds and Anger Issues. Kobolds are a 0 fielding cost and you can use them with Human Torch to Ping Hulk then strike with Hulk along with Patch for double damage and the possibility of using the kobolds fist energy for Anger Issues. Human Paladin is also good to keep you safe from Distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiktor Makowski View Post
    Mr Fantastic is working better, as he is a 3 cost decent defense, and mask himself, so he has some utility above being a global.

With some spinning down elements in the team I would consider adding something that lets you reap some benefit. Umber Hulk: Paragon Beast or Vibe: Formerly Hardline look like a good choice, the first one is sort like a mass field Storm, Vibe can help with bringing defenders down, as spinned down, are hurt, and much closer to a ping from Human Torch.
    Thanks for your input! I'm leaning more towards Mr. Fantastic for his additional utility with cheaper cost.

For Vibe - Formerly Hardline, is that overkill already having Green Goliath to wipe the board?

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    You'r fine with Human Torch, Hulk and Patch. You can already ping Hulk with Human Torch possibly wiping the board. How about instead of Enrage you use Kobolds and Anger Issues. Kobolds are a 0 fielding cost and you can use them with Human Torch to Ping Hulk then strike with Hulk along with Patch for double damage and the possibility of using the kobolds fist energy for Anger Issues. Human Paladin is also good to keep you safe from Distraction.
    That's a very interesting idea using Kobolds, I'll have to try that.

If you're using Black Widow, it might as well be Tsarina. Or Natasha from AOU. Helps on your masks.
    Turn 1, buy a black widow and PXG twice. Turn 2, go for Human Torch or if its a rush team Human Paladin.
    Or possible Wasp turn 2. Turn 3 I would go for Hulk. If they have a polymorph, buy one just for hulk. Gets him on the field turn 3 when you draw Poly and buy hulk.

I rather use Wasp in your deck. If you dont have magic missile or slifer and are relying on Human Torch, wasp is a good alternative. "Pay 2 to deal 1 damage to a character or player." Simple 3 cost and you can substitute that for Beast. Ping your opponent for every global they use.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    If you're using Black Widow, it might as well be Tsarina. Or Natasha from AOU. Helps on your masks.
    Turn 1, buy a black widow and PXG twice. Turn 2, go for Human Torch or if its a rush team Human Paladin.
    Or possible Wasp turn 2. Turn 3 I would go for Hulk. If they have a polymorph, buy one just for hulk. Gets him on the field turn 3 when you draw Poly and buy hulk.

I rather use Wasp in your deck. If you dont have magic missile or slifer and are relying on Human Torch, wasp is a good alternative. "Pay 2 to deal 1 damage to a character or player." Simple 3 cost and you can substitute that for Beast. Ping your opponent for every global they use.
    Thanks for the advice! I don't have a Tsarina, but I'm running this version of Black Widow to spin opponent's characters down to set up for Imprisoned and Patch + Hulk attack, but there are a few steps necessary before getting there, which is the problem I have reaching that win condition.

I do have the rare Wasp, and will experiment swapping it in for the Beast. Beast + Black Widow are redundant, but if I remove the Beast, my only cheap mask source is Mr. Fantastic.

Like I mentioned, Black Widow:Natasha. When she attacks, they either spin down a character or she goes through. And she is a 2 cost mask character. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	2502

But Ill be honest, if you're running imprisoned. This might not be the best deck for it. You'll be causing damage and it could release the imprisoned one's.

Killer Instinct is perfect for this team. Even if you had Tsarina I would not suggest using her.