Thread: Vassal League

Question Vassal League

O.k So I am almost done with my X-Wing league (into the semi finals now)

So while that is wrapping up, I thought I would get who would be interested in a vassal league

I am thinking round robin - either unlimited constructed or little cup constructed

1 match a week, 3 games per match

And maybe a cause in the rules to allow people who are losing a fair bit to change their teams

What do you guys think?

Vassal League - Fall 2015

1) Each player Registers 1 team of 8 characters and 2 BACs. He may also register a sideboard of 5 cards, but may not swap any dice. This means he can register a number of basic actions, or different versions of characters he already has. Sideboard swaps may be made between opponents, but not during matches.

2) All cards are usable if they were released and available at the start of the league. Standard team building rules apply (no duplicate names, 8 cards, 20 dice, etc.)

3) Each player will play all others twice, with a maximum of 10 players. Each game is a best of 1, which must be witnessed, or screen captured for official validation.

4) Witnesses can act as TOs if needed, otherwise a game will need to be saved and a TO be messaged to solve any resolvable disputes.

5) At the end of the swiss round a Finals day/night will be set with the top 2 teams getting a pass to the Semi-finals, and the 3-6 place teams fighting it out for the other two semi-finals slots. Team 7-10 Gain first seed into Vassal Tournament - Winter 2015 and will make up, along with the tournament winner, the council that gets to decide format for the next season.

6) Format is decided by a nomination and vote method, with only a majority required to determine the format. Initial season Format will be decided by popular vote.

7) Tournament winner will receive a card from the TRP prize stash, with details of which specific card announced alongside the finals date/time announcement.

How's that look?

Yeah kinda of what I was thinking - PM and I will send you a spreadsheet I have created that looks after the rounds, the table and tie breakers

I believe I would like finishing in last place in a league. Count me in!

Iam in everything sounds nice!

I think @RJRETRO is working on a tiny cup league of sorts already. While this looks amazing, may I suggest trying to run a tournament night or two on Vassal to see what issues arise? I also like the idea of creating a saved log; however, I do not think it will capture everything that happens in the game while playing. Even if you are diligent about posting actions like PxG twice in chat.

I would like to offer my expertise with Vassal to assist with rules disputes and module questions. ( I am the current maintainer of the Vassal Modules just in case you only see my real name on the Vassal Website)

I would also be interested in playing depending on dates and times.

I understand your issue with the save log War. TBH, that option is the least preferred, and a witness would be the preferred method of game certification.

Maybe offer something (not a prize but a spot in the following league or something) to get 5 people to offical TO's and witnesses ( and post some where any ruling they had to make during the game)

I think that this sounds like a great idea. Where do we sign up, I am interested in playing.

@Shadowmeld It has come to my attention that we need to add a Rule to these:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld
    Vassal League - Fall 2015

1) Each player Registers 1 team of 8 characters and 2 BACs. He may also register a sideboard of 5 cards, but may not swap any dice. This means he can register a number of basic actions, or different versions of characters he already has. Sideboard swaps may be made between opponents, but not during matches.

2) All cards are usable if they were released and available at the start of the league. Standard team building rules apply (no duplicate names, 8 cards, 20 dice, etc.)

3) Each player will play all others twice, with a maximum of 10 players. Each game is a best of 1, which must be witnessed, or screen captured for official validation.

4) Witnesses can act as TOs if needed, otherwise a game will need to be saved and a TO be messaged to solve any resolvable disputes.

5) At the end of the swiss round a Finals day/night will be set with the top 2 teams getting a pass to the Semi-finals, and the 3-6 place teams fighting it out for the other two semi-finals slots. Team 7-10 Gain first seed into Vassal Tournament - Winter 2015 and will make up, along with the tournament winner, the council that gets to decide format for the next season.

6) Format is decided by a nomination and vote method, with only a majority required to determine the format. Initial season Format will be decided by popular vote.

7) Tournament winner will receive a card from the TRP prize stash, with details of which specific card announced alongside the finals date/time announcement.
    8) Any recorded Disconnections during game play will result in the Forfeiture of that game, regardless of reason.

Why would disconnections nessecitate a forfeiture?

Could the game state not be saved to give the benefit of the doubt to your opponent?

Now if your opponent is unable to return, or complete the game within an appropriate window, absolutely, a recorded disconnect would qualify as a loss. But only at the end of a given play cycle where a legitimate game cannot be produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Why would disconnections nessecitate a forfeiture?

Could the game state not be saved to give the benefit of the doubt to your opponent?

Now if your opponent is unable to return, or complete the game within an appropriate window, absolutely, a recorded disconnect would qualify as a loss. But only at the end of a given play cycle where a legitimate game cannot be produced.
    Agreed.

The game state can be recorded and resumed.

So why such a drastic penalty for something that could be unavoidable and not the fault of the disconnected player?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Especially with the moose running around in Western Manitoba, right, @RJRETRO ?

After an incident was brought to my attention this morning I played around with this a bit. Game state is indeed preserved by the client that did not get disconnected. As far as I have been able to verify in the log files between 3 clients, the incident of disconnection during rolling is un-reproduceable as it was described. IE Party 1 sees X roll, and Client 2 disconnects, then reconnects stating different state Rolls (as in State Y). However, there is a spot in which the board state can become unstable, I don't want to specifically state how to do it, but just know it is possible.

As in the case, where you opponent gets disconnected and you save the game, the board state would indeed be preserved from the perspective of the saving player. And I have some questions about whom actually see the disconnect messages, because in half of my logs from trying I only see sync messages upon return, not exact disconnect messages.

So, Until I can flip the flag in the module (meaning find out exactly where that damn thing is), any session with a lot of syncs, should be suspect.

Instead of using my spreadsheet - I have found (well my store owner showed me) - http://challonge.com/

Set up the league as a round robin and your off and it updates live

So did this league ever get going? I would be very interested as it's the only way I can play DM at the moment.