Thread: Batman: The Caped Crusader and Continuous Actions (Elf Wizard: Paragon Zhentarim)

Batman: The Caped Crusader and Continuous Actions (Elf Wizard: Paragon Zhentarim)

Batman
    Global: Once per turn pay [1 Fist] or [1 Bolt]. The first time you play a basic action die this turn, gain 1 life.
    Wizkids' forum on errata
    Continuous: Actions with Continuous move from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone when played and can stay there at the end of the turn. Sometimes they’ll send themselves to the Used Pile for an effect whenever you could use a Global Ability.
    Millennium Puzzle: The Eternal Dungeon
    Continuous. You may move this die to your Used Pile to send one opposing monster to the Used Pile. (You may use this ability when you may play a Global Ability. This die stays fielded until used.)
    Does Batman's text "play" include fielding actions and/or using actions? The answer for this will answer the following indented questions The following examples are specific, real examples to help put this meta-question into an in-game scenario.

Can I use both Batman's Global and the Puzzle on my opponents' turn? From the errata I would say no, but from the specific updated Puzzle text I would say yes, as it uses the keyword "use". Batman's text of "play" seems to imply I would only gain life if I send an action die from my Reserve to my Used pile. But this gets fuzzy when talking about Continuous actions. I see 3 interpretations.

1: I only get life when moving an action die to the Used pile (from Reserve or field).

2: I only get life when moving an action die from the Reserve (it's destination doesn't matter).

3: I can get a life when moving an action die from Reserve to a different location, and (assuming it's on a different turn) when I move an action die from the Field to the Used pile.

What if Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R5aydpl.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	2422 read "when assigned to block" not attack. Could I then use Batman's Global in between the assign-attackers and assign-blockers steps; then gain 1 life after assigning the elf to block and using one of the actions?

PS: I noticed others linking the actual energy pictures as opposed to using [energy amount/name] like I have been doing. Is there a reference page with all the pics on this site, or are they just devoted and have saved pics of the energies they upload every time they post?

To play/use an action die is to move it from your reserve pool to activate its effect (in the case of continuous dice, moving to and staying in the field s their relevant effect). If it's continuous, it will stay in play for a while, but the only time it is ever considered "used" is when it leaves the reserve pool. Millennium Puzzle in specific stating in its effect text that you may "use" it from the field is erroneous and simply poor word choice on WizKids part (there's only so many words that convey the same meaning). Accordingly, you may not gain life on your opponent's turn using Batman and Millennium Puzzle and scenario #2 is the correct reading.

If Elf Wizard was a "when assigned to block" effect, then you would be able to pay for batman's effect the moment she was declared as a blocker. Batman's global is not a standard "trigger" global that you use during the appropriate phases, it is a "reactive" global like that of Casualties or Vibranium Shield which you may pay and activate the moment it becomes relevant.

P.S. You can use the colon codes to make the energy symbols. If you wanted to make a shield symbol, you'd type 'shield', but with colons instead of apostrophes, like this . If someone is using a colon code you're not familiar with, you can identify it by mousing over it. If your cursor changes to a hand, it's an attachment not a colon code. If it is a colon code, your cursor will not change and you can right click to open the image in a new tab. The specific colon code for that image will be the segment of the URL after the last slansh and before the .jpg or .png -- in the case of the shield energy symbol, the colon code is simply 'shield'.

Thank you so much for the clear and very fast response! I also didn't know Batman's ability was reactive! That makes the ability make way more sense

From your reply I think the keyword Wizkids used ("play") does clearly state when Batman's ability would be used. The problem is that Wizkids uses too many synonyms!!! I think they would be much, much clearer if they had a longer and well-defined Lexicon. It might make it a little more intimidating for new players (many keywords, although any collectible game eventually has a ton of keywords), but I also think the player-retention would be much better. If it wasn't TRP and the awesome people like yourself, I would have quit the game long ago due to the lack of clarity and common confusions!

From your reply I conclude that if the Elf's ability was "assigned to block", then the 2 action dice I get from my opponent's used pile go to my reserve, then immediately to their Used. Is this correct?

Thanks much for the colon formatting! I'm familiar with emoji colon usage, so comes very easily Is there a way to link specific cards (like :Paragon Zhentarim: )?

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Batman's global is not a standard "trigger" global that you use during the appropriate phases, it is a "reactive" global like that of Casualties or Vibranium Shield which you may pay and activate the moment it becomes relevant.
    My reading of the rulings is that whilst Vibranium Shield Global is a multi-use reactive global, Casualties Global is not.

I believe it is a pre-emptive ability that creates a static effect that then triggers, reactively, whenever the appropriate effect occurs.

And I think Batman Global is the same type of Global as Casualties Global, but it is restricted to the first use of an action only.

Quote Originally Posted by Chum Bucket View Post
    Thanks much for the colon formatting! I'm familiar with emoji colon usage, so comes very easily Is there a way to link specific cards (like :Paragon Zhentarim: )?
    It is colon, set abbreviation, collectors number, all in lower case - (AoU isn't updated yet)

Here is the link to all the colon codes - http://www.thereservepool.com/showwi...um+Colon+Codes

I also just realized that Batman specifically states "basic action die", so the above scenario wouldn't be possible. But, this scenario does apply to basic action die that are continuous, so the question is not null =)
    Last edited by Chum Bucket; 08-15-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: :smile: =/= :)