Thread: Database for Dice Masters by Key Chan

Database for Dice Masters by Key Chan

There is a new iOS app that was released on 7/10/2015 called Database for Dice Masters by Key Chan with an app ICON of DM Database. I has a pretty sizeable database for sets with some pretty Icon search features. It is using the high quality DiceMastersDB.com for the cards and has a bunch of adware at the bottom of it. I have mixed feelings about this particular application and recommend supporting @Loran over at dicemastersdb.com for supplying the images, either aware-ingly or not.

For iOS, it is NOT a Transition Zone level app. And for just a Database for Dice Masters it is a little bit lack luster.

Left a 1-star review commenting that images were being used without permission.

Yeah that is some dodgy work

Currently, I am in the process of completing my own app, which most likely will be released without all of the sets having images. In the process of maintaining Vassal, I have tons of cards in the 177x250 image format, while I need them in the 266x372 format. I do however have every card scanned from every set, so it is just a matter of time before all of the sets are present. Since the code caches the image, it is just a matter of time before all of them are present in the app.

I am also not really wild about the "search" filter functionality or the weird card color coding that I can't seem to match up to anything either, but it does give me a few good ideas to include in my own outing.

And for anyone that programs in Obj-C for Mac OS X and iOS, you can appreciate the work Key did put in to get this app created and through the Apple Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    And for anyone that programs in Obj-C for Mac OS X and iOS, you can appreciate the work Key did put in to get this app created and through the Apple Store.
    As a software engineer I have very good idea of how much work was put in to this app.

I also have a very good idea of how much work @Loran has done on DMDB, and, having updated and maintained the VASSAL module I know exactly how much work is involved in collecting and collating all that data.

But, the app developer is profiting, to some degree, of off @Loran 's (and others' (because the DMDB scans are crowd sourced)) hard work.

And that is not right.

At the very least ask for permission. It's not hard. And, if you do ask, people are usually more than happy to help. I know @Loran was when I was updating the VASSAL module.
    Last edited by Scorpion0x17; 08-10-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post

But, the app developer is profiting, to some degree, of off @Loran 's (and others' (because the DMDB scans are crowd sourced)) hard work.

And that is not right.

At the very least ask for permission. It's not hard.
    I couldn't agree more Scott. Just trying to keep things on the positive side. I am also in the process of writing my review for the App Store.

Quote Originally Posted by puuka View Post
    I would love a database that allowed you to search for card text.
    Your wish has been granted - http://dicemastersdb.com/ Do an advance search

Quote Originally Posted by puuka View Post
    I would love a database that allowed you to search for card text.
    http://dm.retrobox.eu

Is it this one:

Welcome On Board - Database for Dice Masters - 2015-07-10

?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Is it this one:

Welcome On Board - Database for Dice Masters - 2015-07-10

?
    That's the one.

@Loran will have to use the link, I can't claim I'm the owner of the IP :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    @Loran will have to use the link, I can't claim I'm the owner of the IP :-)
    I don't believe that I can either. WizKids owns the IP.
    All card art and text is owned by WizKids/NECA et al. They allow websites like this one and mine to use it for the betterment of the community.

So whilst I may be a little annoyed this iOS app did not ask for permission to use the scans (which I very likely would have granted), I don't see any reason to get upset about it. A large percentage of my scans come from community members. A large percentage of card text is originally taken from other community websites, such as the Dice Anon Full Set Spoilers.
    I appreciate people recognising the effort made by myself to bring all of these elements together into one website, as I also appreciate the effort all of the other sites and apps make for the community. We're all in it together. No one website can do it all. So if people want to pull data from DMDB so be it, cause I've done the same.