Thread: Shockwave global- mostly useless?

Shockwave global- mostly useless?

So tell me if I'm wrong, but due to timing restrictions, the global on Shockwave is basically useless. Your only hope is for the active player to forget to use their action before passing priority to the inactive player. I guess it's ok if they were waiting until the attack phase to use the action and you shut it down in the main phase, but it is absolutely useless in the attack phase unless the active player simply forgets.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here. You may be misreading the purpose of the global:

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave
    KO all level 1 characters.
    */** Also deal 3 damage to an opposing player.
    Global: Pay 1. Target level 1 character is unaffected by action dice this turn.
    The purpose of the global is for the active player to have the opportunity to make one of their own characters immune to this effect before triggering the global. It isn't for the inactive player to stage a defense.

“Players are allowed to use Global Abilities that react to events at the appropriate time (for example, a Global Ability that allows you to redirect damage when one of your characters takes damage).”

I think people fail to see the example as just that, an example! it doesn't say that damage prevention is the only instance for playing a global in reaction to something.

Other than damage prevention and redirection, what are some globals that CAN be used in response to something? Are there any? Is shockwave one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    “Players are allowed to use Global Abilities that react to events at the appropriate time (for example, a Global Ability that allows you to redirect damage when one of your characters takes damage).”

I think people fail to see the example as just that, an example! it doesn't say that damage prevention is the only instance for playing a global in reaction to something.

Other than damage prevention and redirection, what are some globals that CAN be used in response to something? Are there any? Is shockwave one of them?
    No, I don't think Shockwave is one of them. I think this specifically has to do with globals that specify different timing, like:

or those that wouldn't make sense when used at the normal times, like damage redirect or prevention. Shockwave does make sense to be used at the normal time, and doesn't indicate in the text that the timing is altered, so I would think you would only be able to use it at the regular times.

I disagree. shockwave global doesn't make sense to be used at the "normal time"...
    for example, if no one has purchased an action die yet....

But yes, those are two good examples. ("when...")

I wonder - does Shockwave's global remove ongoing effects given by action die earlier in the same turn? For example, if the active player uses Stinking Cloud:

then, after priority is passed, the defending player uses Shockwave's global on a 1st level character affected by Stinking Cloud, is that character now able to block?

Quote Originally Posted by dwilhelmi View Post
    I wonder - does Shockwave's global remove ongoing effects given by action die earlier in the same turn? For example, if the active player uses Stinking Cloud:

then, after priority is passed, the defending player uses Shockwave's global on a 1st level character affected by Stinking Cloud, is that character now able to block?
    Loot ak Sarkhanmads post aboved, you have to use the global before something else is used.

So i dont see any action dice from DC JL that could countered with that or has to be.. hm... .

Lantern Battery could be one thing

Quote Originally Posted by dwilhelmi View Post

No.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=6002

No. Game effects that prevent a character from being “affected,” or render them “unaffected,” refer only to the initial application of the game effect at the moment it is applied. Thus, while Shockwave’s global ability would prevent a level 1 character from being effected by an action die if the global ability was used first, it would not remove the effect of an action die if the action die were used first.

Shockwave provides protection from Shockwave.

And yes, it can prevent lantern battery from triggering.

stinking cloud is what spurred my part of the discussion here.

in a game recently, I played that die, and my son wanted to shockwave global in response. I told him he couldn't, because I knew of this ruling. But it has been bothering me, because it was actually kind of cool that he had that energy in reserve, and had the awareness to use the global. It was (would've been) good/fun gameplay.

I'm "this close" to creating my own personal errata and rulings for every card I own. wizkidsrulesteam be damned...

It protects your level 1 characters from Millenium Puzzle too.

Or any other action die effect used after the global is used.

But what does "affected" really mean? I mean the dictionary defines it as.....

Just kidding, sorry, couldn't help myself

I actually figured it wouldn't work after the fact, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask in case I was wrong. Or, you know, I could have simply read the full ruling from that link. Oh well.

using Shockwave Global before the active player attack with Lantern Ring prevent his attackers level 1 using the continuous effect of the Lantern Ring, and my level 1 dices (and all sidekicks) from any other action dice, for example Relentless o something that englobes my characters dice. Its correct?

You would have to pay the (1) for each level 1 character that you didn't want to get the Lantern Ring bonus.

Shockwave won't protect against Cloudkill, but DBF is definitely countered by it... for your level 1 characters.

I recently used Shockwave on my Cassie Ring team to Shockwave my level 1 Cassie and prevent my opponent's characters form benefiting from Ring, despite their levels. Also used the OP Robin to ensure that my Cassie was actually level 1 all the time. It was a fun team, but VERY fiddly.