Thread: 2016 Worlds Qualifying Rumors

2016 Worlds Qualifying Rumors

i've heard a variety of rumors regarding WKO's being defunct and new regional tourney set ups for qualifying for Nats and then Worlds. Has anyone heard anything definitive?

Would be great, i am a fan of such Qualifier Tournaments/events

Nothing definitive has been announced yet, but what you've heard is currently the leading rumor with some solid sources confirming it at a general level (though I've only heard this second/third hand myself).

They should just bite the bullet and copy FFG's OP structure to a T.

Game Night Kit Tournaments
    Store Championships
    Regional Championships
    National Championships
    World Championships

There were two ways to get into Worlds in 2015. The first was to win a national championship (or come in the top two at US nationals). The second was to finish in the top 16 in one of the two qualifying events that occurred at origins on the two days immediately preceding the worlds championships.

i get inklings of information on occasion. There was some word of a possible TCG player affiliation that could result in qualifiers but my source said "to my knowledge there is no affiliation with TCGplayer for DM." I asked WK on FB and they basically confirmed WKO is done and that they are working on a qualifying structure and hope to release it soon. My source also pointed out that at a minimum they currently expect to have US Nationals around the same time next year, no word of the venue staying the same or changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Basementcuts View Post
    i get inklings of information on occasion. There was some word of a possible TCG player affiliation that could result in qualifiers but my source said "to my knowledge there is no affiliation with TCGplayer for DM." I asked WK on FB and they basically confirmed WKO is done and that they are working on a qualifying structure and hope to release it soon. My source also pointed out that at a minimum they currently expect to have US Nationals around the same time next year, no word of the venue staying the same or changing.
    I can tell you they will NOT be working with tcgplayer. I think that bridge was already burned. Now tcgplayer may be working on something for dice masters but I haven't heard anything other than that they had looked at it.

And yes, WKO are done. It was said that it was hard for wizkids to get the logistics down for moving that much product around to the stores in the time frame they had. It could be another reason but that's what I recall hearing.

I really hope they announce it. Not always the easiest to make short notice plans in Canada.

Yeah, remember that TCGPlayer is associated with HCRealms, and the HCR/WK relationship hasn't exactly been rosy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Yeah, remember that TCGPlayer is associated with HCRealms, and the HCR/WK relationship hasn't exactly been rosy.
    There was an agreement for them to work together in what is now the ROC series. Wizkids actually sponsored them the first year. Then, something happened and they had a falling out and at Gencon that year they officially split with Wizkids wanting more control over things. On one hand, I understand them wanting to keep control over how their product is presented and while I've been on the realms since 2002, it's not the warmest place to visit. The roc however is a great great thing and has only helped grow Heroclix as a game. It's done very well without Wizkids, I can only imagine how well it'd do with their involvement.

WizKids just sent the following:

UPCOMING EVENT! WizKids U.S. Regional Championships at Salt Lake Comic Con

WizKids is pleased to announce our first 2015 regional tournament event to be held at Salt Lake Comic Con, September 24th-26th.

Get ready to do damage on the tabletop with HeroClix, Dice Masters and Attack Wing events. Play amazing games, win rare prizes, buy convention exclusives and earn your ticket to the 2015 US National Championships!

More information on dates and locations of WizKids Regional Championships coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    WizKids just sent the following:
    UPCOMING EVENT! WizKids U.S. Regional Championships at Salt Lake Comic Con

WizKids is pleased to announce our first 2015 regional tournament event to be held at Salt Lake Comic Con, September 24th-26th.

Get ready to do damage on the tabletop with HeroClix, Dice Masters and Attack Wing events. Play amazing games, win rare prizes, buy convention exclusives and earn your ticket to the 2015 US National Championships!

More information on dates and locations of WizKids Regional Championships coming soon!
    Oh man, I will be at the Great American Beer Festival, no shot I'm making it out to SLC those dates!

Didn't we already have the 2015 US national championships? It seems weird to have it twice in one year.

Edit: Literally impossible for me to plan on something a month in advance because I get paid once a month. WizKids really needs to announce their stuff further in advance. It's impossible for us CDAC guys.

Here's hoping for Northwest Regional Champtionships at Emerald City Comic-Con in March...

I'd be blown away if there are not NW and Cal regionals.

Very excited to see some updates. It will be interesting to see where they position these regionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    Typo. They mean 2016.
    I think you'll find it's not a typo and they really do mean 2015...

"Salt Lake Comic Con 2015 September 24-26"

http://saltlakecomiccon.com/

Oh, you mean "buy convention exclusives and earn your ticket to the 2015 US National Championships!"

Yeah, LOL! Clearly a typo!