Thread: Just starting out, some questions

Just starting out, some questions

So I've decided to dive into the DM world and I'm struggling to find some info that I'm guessing is common knowledge for you vets.

Avengers v Xmen, is this set discontinued? I can find starter sets on my usual sites but boosters and feeds seem non-existent. Really hoping it's just a stocking issue as the AvX boosters have some of my favorite characters out there.

The playmats that are sold look pretty awesome. Is it safe to assume they're the best resource to use vs printing the ones from the site or what comes in a starter box?

All the Basic Action dice are the same, correct? I get that there are new cards in the various starters but all the dice are the same for them?

Thanks in advance!

All basic Action Dice are the same, and they come in 8ish colors. No sets are "discontinued" but AvX sets are the hardest to come by. Officially, no set has been retired, but printing runs seem to be scaling up, and reprints are not as often as demand, at least for AvX.

Playmats are all around helpful tool. I own each of the ones released plus a couple custom ones. Lots of people making excellent playmat designs.

Oh And Welcome to the community!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonasty View Post
    So I've decided to dive into the DM world and I'm struggling to find some info that I'm guessing is common knowledge for you vets.

Avengers v Xmen, is this set discontinued? I can find starter sets on my usual sites but boosters and feeds seem non-existent. Really hoping it's just a stocking issue as the AvX boosters have some of my favorite characters out there.

The playmats that are sold look pretty awesome. Is it safe to assume they're the best resource to use vs printing the ones from the site or what comes in a starter box?

All the Basic Action dice are the same, correct? I get that there are new cards in the various starters but all the dice are the same for them?

Thanks in advance!
    Avengers vs. X-Men is not discontinued, but I believe it's anyone's guess whether or not it receives another printing.

The closest I could find via Google was this post on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18648334#18648334

As for the playmats, they're certainly sufficient, although I'd recommend checking out Etsy or files posted here to print out your own. There are great printing sites for mousepad-like quality (http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-playmat) or you can simply use a heavy card stock at your local printing shop (that's what I did, see: http://www.thereservepool.com/album.php?albumid=47).

And basic action dice are all the same, barring some slight color differences. If you have 4-8 sets of colors, you're more than equipped to play with any basic action cards.

Whelp, wasted no time.

Ordered:
    Justice League Starter + 35 foil packs
    Uncanny Starter + 30 foil packs
    20 AoU foil packs

That should hold me over till War of Light and Amazing Spiderman come out.

You can get a full set of commons and uncommons off ebay pretty easily for each set. If you want to play more than just casually, then you should pick the D&D starter as it has some of the better basic action cards, and grab a bunch of Yugioh packs as well (oddly enough, some of the most valuable cards in the game come from YGO).

Don't fight it, you're one of us now.

Yeah I've got the Pokemon disease when it comes to collectible based games so it'll all end up in the collection eventually. :-)

How do the Yugioh and D&D sets translate with the comics based sets? Outside of obvious flavor and abilities differences, are there any weird rules interactions that take some translating? All the heroes stuff seems designed for cross usage but wasn't sure about the others.

Also, do the dice's levels come in to play at all? The rulebook refers to them when describing the card breakdown but I wasn't sure if there was an in-game use that happened.

Also, do the dice's levels come in to play at all? The rulebook refers to them when describing the card breakdown but I wasn't sure if there was an in-game use that happened.
    That's what I get for not finishing the rule book. Found it lol.

Yeah I've got the Pokemon disease when it comes to collectible based games so it'll all end up in the collection eventually. :-)

How do the Yugioh and D&D sets translate with the comics based sets? Outside of obvious flavor and abilities differences, are there any weird rules interactions that take some translating? All the heroes stuff seems designed for cross usage but wasn't sure about the others.
    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=4586

Compatibility (wording differences).

Several cards have abilities that refer to levels (KO a Level 1 character, character takes no damage from higher level characters, spin characters up or down when something happens).

You can use this site to build teams and view all the sets/cards. Good for cherry picking cards from sets before buying either packs or singles.

Thanks for all the replies, this has been super helpful.

Package has shipped, should have dice a-plenty by this weekend hopefully.

My local store has AVX boxes all the time. PM me if you need some.

Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    My local store has AVX boxes all the time. PM me if you need some.
    Starter Boxes, Set-up boxes, or gravity feed boxes?