Thread: Article: WES Top 10

I informed my Shop owner, and i hope some day he will sit down with me and let me explain it for him and let him set up an Shop account. I think there is nothing complicated on WES and everybody should do it.
    The only thing i would like to see on WES is which System is supported by the Shop, if it is Heroclix, Attack Wing or Dice Master? I find some shops hundreds of Kilometers away and when i asked them about dice masters, they answered most of time : "We run Heroclix but nothing else."

The only problem that I have is that it rewards frequent events, so players with the most active and developed scenes are by default the most recognized and rewarded. They mitigated this somewhat with the multiplier for the big stuff but that's only one part of it. If they're going to tie things to a ranking, folks that have one store going once per month are going to be at an extreme disadvantage compared to those who have something going every single week.

Of course I have no problem with anyone who is at the top - it's a credit to their active scenes! - I just think the rankings themselves could be done better.

As someone with a high ranking, I totally agree with @Dave that the rankings certainly do not singularly reflect the quality of a player. I am certainly not the best player in the world.

But for the time being--while the game is still gaining traction--I think it is in everyone's interests to have the rankings implicitly reward those who have put in a lot of time to successfully build a vibrant local scene (and I certainly haven't been alone in building my scene -- it has absolutely been a meaningful group effort -- I have great people I play with). I doubt that WizKids intended that result, but I am (for now) happy with it because we all have an interest in growing the game and this is a very small way of rewarding players who do that. Could WizKids create a more "pure" ranking system and reward players who build local scenes in a different way? Probably as to the rankings (although I think doing so would be complex and how tondo so does not immediately jump to mind--WizKids is using the system to drive people to play/buy at local stores and it seems that the system will always reward players who play more often). But with WizKids' current limited resources I don't see implementing a meaningful "thanks for building your local scene!" system happening anytime soon, if ever given how hard it would be to identify who the person responsible for the scene is (it's not always the volunteer).

Also, for what it's worth, I don't play an obscene number of events. During this season, for example, I have probably averaged two events per week. Others lower on the leaderboard have played four to five events per week, so the boards still do something right: by awarding no points for losing, it definitely prioritized players who win.

There's healthy and there's healthy. We have a solid scene with events twice a month. It would take me four months to earn what you earn in one. I take no issue with it as it stands. We just need to see how WK intends to use it.

One could also argue that those who play more have more experience than those who don't. You could track the WKES rankings as a measure of "competitive" experience, not nessicarily competitive "skill".

I still generally worry about the introduction of a leaderboard stifling the growth of the game rather than promoting it, as the quest for points (even when still currently meaningless as far as we officially know) is sure to drive some to win at any cost every week, even if it means bringing their Worlds caliber team to an event of all novices. I know with Magic and its Planseswalker points it seems like for many players each week is serious business since it can mean PTQ byes and what-not, but thankfully there you have enough players that you can usually languish around the "midcard" and have a good, fun night of it. If your DiceMasters group is small, I worry about the hyper competitive teams being overly discouraging for new players when they have to play against them week after week and (in the case of like Tsarina and Gobby, and their best counter Constantine) might come away with the impression that DiceMasters is a pay-to-win game.

Apparently Hastings stores don't count as a "local" store. Somewhere along the line there's a breakdown in prize support. Hastings corporate is supposed to get it to distribute to individual stores (I think that happened once) or maybe they've just given up on supporting Dice Masters.

We play weekly with between 4-8 inconsistent players. Certainly the more the merrier! My individual score shot up 400+ points after four weeks of playing at regular point games.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexei View Post
    I still generally worry about the introduction of a leaderboard stifling the growth of the game rather than promoting it, as the quest for points (even when still currently meaningless as far as we officially know) is sure to drive some to win at any cost every week, even if it means bringing their Worlds caliber team to an event of all novices. I know with Magic and its Planseswalker points it seems like for many players each week is serious business since it can mean PTQ byes and what-not, but thankfully there you have enough players that you can usually languish around the "midcard" and have a good, fun night of it. If your DiceMasters group is small, I worry about the hyper competitive teams being overly discouraging for new players when they have to play against them week after week and (in the case of like Tsarina and Gobby, and their best counter Constantine) might come away with the impression that DiceMasters is a pay-to-win game.
    You said it all right there. Fantastic point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You said it all right there. Fantastic point.
    I second this. As a relatively new player, who doesn't have tsarina or gobby or anything outside marvel I still want to be able to enjoy the game. But equally, competition is competition. Now I'm lucky my store runs the monthly op but also is looking to log our casual games if we can get enough people down. This will give both the ultra competitive and the more fun sides a chance to earn points. Hopefully.

They've actually been doing the rankings for a while. I started watching them after Nationals. The previous "Season" was listed as April-July, so I though that they were running 4 month seasons. However, they started this season on July 1, so I assume that they are 3 month seasons, and that this one will end Sept 30.
    As best as I can tell, there is nothing special given to the top ranked players other than bragging rights. It has been fun to watch our ranking adjust with our events locally and our games at Worlds. Last Season I outranked my son (@FluffySnowman here on TRP, 22aeva in the WES rankings) but this season we have flipped and he is ahead of me, which has been lots of fun for him to track. It has been fun tracking our local team (Glass City Dice) as well.
    Form a team with your friends and join us!

My wife checks the leaderboard regularly as a means of determining my general level of nerdom/sexiness. It seems she really likes winners and that our love life is intrinsically tied to this leaderboard and my month over month ranking. I'm going to need everyone above me to stop playing for a month or so.