Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More New Rules Updated on WizKids

More New Rules Updated on WizKids

After checking this daily for updates without anything for so long, it's weird to see new rulings two days in a row. Hopefully they'll keep 'em coming.

[deleted]
    Last edited by Shazam; 08-14-2015 at 02:25 PM.

The TRP forums have gotten a bit of the HCRealms tenor as to rules posts the last couple days. I'm just going to leave this here:

http://www.thereservepool.com/threads/1880-Positivity

Of the four items posted today, I am very thankful that they clarified things that were being debated, and it seemed like they had a very cheerful tone in their rulings. I am in favor.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Of the four items posted today, I am very thankful that they clarified things that were being debated, and it seemed like they had a very cheerful tone in their rulings. I am in favor.
    I also like the new tone of the rules posts. They were easy to read and very friendly. THIS is how you can help grow a game.

I'm very much hoping that the question I submitted on behalf of my local group gets answered, because the infiltrate/colossus global pairing has caused a lot of confusion and arguments around my local scene, and while I have ruled on it personally as best as I can, I'd much prefer something official. Personally, I don't believe it should function for various reasons, and it certainly doesn't seem like a combo interaction that is at all healthy for the game/meta in my honest opinion.

Have they ruled on this at all anywhere? I've been searching for any shred of information I can find for a week now, but I guess it's possible that I've missed some clarification somewhere. Aside from that, I'm glad they answered the Jocasta vs. Human Paladin global.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    I also like the new tone of the rules posts. They were easy to read and very friendly. THIS is how you can help grow a game.
    Agreed.

They've been getting better for a while.

So, though I may find some rulings a little odd, and therefor difficult to apply to a wider context, from time to time, I do think things are clearly moving in the right direction, and that can only be a good thing for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I'm very much hoping that the question I submitted on behalf of my local group gets answered, because the infiltrate/colossus global pairing has caused a lot of confusion and arguments around my local scene, and while I have ruled on it personally as best as I can, I'd much prefer something official. Personally, I don't believe it should function for various reasons, and it certainly doesn't seem like a combo interaction that is at all healthy for the game/meta in my honest opinion.

Have they ruled on this at all anywhere? I've been searching for any shred of information I can find for a week now, but I guess it's possible that I've missed some clarification somewhere. Aside from that, I'm glad they answered the Jocasta vs. Human Paladin global.
    What is the situation in question?

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    You mean the Wolverine, infiltrate and Phoenix Force combo?
    Basically yes

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    What is the situation in question?
    Check above.

Is the question "can you give the Phoenix Force affiliation to a character and then use the Colossus global in that character"?

If so, I see no reason why not.

Or am I missing something?

Is the question "can you give the Phoenix Force affiliation to a character and then use the Colossus global in that character"?

If so, I see no reason why not.

The main argument against it that I can put forth is that the global refers to Phoenix Force Dice. I (and others) want to know if that only refers to the actual character or not.

Colossus could be read as only pumping characters named Phoenix Force.

Ah...

Phoenix Force character vs Phoenix Force affiliation...

Yeah, good question.

No idea! LOL.

Ah...

Phoenix Force character vs Phoenix Force affiliation...

Yeah, good question.

No idea! LOL.
    Therein lies the problem lol. I submitted a long and thought-out question to the rules forum, but there's no guarantee we will get anything back, as I can only imagine people have been asking about this since the card's came out, at least in relation to using that global on the Colossus/Cyclops themselves.

I just... Jocasta is only not a redirect if you add in words that aren't on the card...

As it says on the infiltration card "Target character gets +3D and gains one Team affiliation of your choice until end of turn."

Wolverine's die turns into a Phoenix die. The Colossus global is valid. Ive been one shotted from that combo. Thankfully the second time I played against it a second time and I had good ol Human Paladin out to protect me from the nasty relentless global.

I think that ruling could go either way...but there is one clue in the Colossus global that may lead to the answer.

The global says "double the attack and defense of one of your Phoenix Force dice in the field". The words "one of your" imply that there could be multiple Phoenix Force dice in the field, however, the Phoenix Force character has a max die limit of 1, so there could never be more than 1 Phoenix Force character die in the field.

Definitely not saying this is definitive...but it does leave me thinking that the global refers to the affiliation not the character.

This combo does seem a bit over powered...but gotta give @Jthomash2 credit for making this a thung. My guess is, when they wrote that Colossus OP card, they weren't thinking something like "Infiltrate" would be designed down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I just... Jocasta is only not a redirect if you add in words that aren't on the card...
    Remember: be positive, @Dave . Be positive.

:P

But, yeah. As I think I've already said, I predicted that she would get a ruling, but I wish they had issued card text errata for her, because her ability is not worded how they have ruled her as working.

I still think she's fine the way she was written. Now there's a defense to her. Sure we take 1 damage but she is still frightening if you dont have Captain America or Human Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    I still think she's fine the way she was written. Now there's a defense to her. Sure we take 1 damage but she is still frightening if you dont have Captain America or Human Paladin.
    Totally disagree about the way she's written. And what competetive team ISN'T going to have Human Paladin moving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Totally disagree about the way she's written. And what competetive team ISN'T going to have Human Paladin moving forward?
    The ones with Captian America and Wasp

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    I think that ruling could go either way...but there is one clue in the Colossus global that may lead to the answer.

The global says "double the attack and defense of one of your Phoenix Force dice in the field". The words "one of your" imply that there could be multiple Phoenix Force dice in the field, however, the Phoenix Force character has a max die limit of 1, so there could never be more than 1 Phoenix Force character die in the field.

Definitely not saying this is definitive...but it does leave me thinking that the global refers to the affiliation not the character.
    Even if Phoenix Force has a max die limit of 1 there are multiple BACs that allow you to steal opposing Phoenix Force dice.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    The question is whether or not the global text "Phoenix Force" refers to affiliation or character name (or by extension, subtitle). There is precedent for card text to refer to either (Dark Phoenix refers to both, for example, and Lord of D and the Dragon characteristic are precedent for subtitle reference). While I am normally first in line to give WK the benefit of the doubt in card text, I have zero faith in the idea they thought this one through and used the word dice assuming one might steal a Phoenix Force (the ten cost die) using Possession or Loki. I suppose you can make the argument for that, but there are cards in this set with incredibly confusing text. Such as:

(yeah, I know, that's not really an argument for my interpretation. Just taking my turn to troll the topic!)

And to be honest, there's no way we come up with the idea without @Randy and I doing it together. Team effort. I just was the Guinea pig pilot.

As for the new rulings, Jocasta functioning this way doesn't bother me, but it should have been worded that way and NOT like a redirect. It appears the errors associated with this set were greater than initially anticipated. I for one cannot stomach the thought of what visceral reaction similar errors in the next set might bring. Let's hope and trust these will be corrected moving forward.

So is Jocasta totally worthless, or just powerfully countered by Human Pallidan and/or Captain America?