Thread: Wonder Man Question

Wonder Man Question

Hey all!

So all three Wonder Man cards in AoU have the ability where he loses [Villain] and gains [Avengers] when you are at less than 11 life.

My question is, will your Wonder Man dice be considered an Avenger if he is not yet fielded, but you have less than 11 life?

Say I wanted to field Wonder Man for free via 'Nick Fury - Mr. Anger' or 'S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent - You're Not Cleared for That' (while on a burst side) while I have less than 11 life. Would I pay the fielding cost, and then once Wonder Man is fielded, the game state checks my life and then he gains [Avengers] - or would he be counted as an Avenger before fielding, and then I can proceed to field him for free either via Nick Fury or S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent (assuming it was the first Avenger I fielded that turn for S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent).

Thanks for the help!

We were told to presume all card texts were "while active" unless told otherwise, so I am inclined to agree that Wonder Man is a [Villain] until fielded.

Though I may be wrong! Very interesting!

Dice always know what affiliation they are, regardless of fielding status.

Once you are under 11 life, he is a villain. He loses the Avengers affiliation. Doesn't matter if active or not. Unless its specified in the text.

Quote Originally Posted by varthanna View Post
    We were told to presume all card texts were "while active" unless told otherwise, so I am inclined to agree that Wonder Man is a [Villain] until fielded.

Though I may be wrong! Very interesting!
    You are wrong, on two counts:

1) as @pk2317 says dice always know their affiliation regardless of fielding status.

2) WizKids have not said to assume "while active". Lots of people have misread the Beholder ruling. And some in very prominent positions have perpetuated this falsehood. This is not a criticism of those people or anyone else, though. The Beholder ruling is not absolutely clear. And is easy to misread. I misread it myself at first. But realised that "while active" as default simply does not make any sense. Then I went back and reread that ruling and saw a that it was saying something different.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    So whats your ruling on Wonderman?
    I do not make the rulings. I wish I did.

I can offer my opinion though.

And, as pk2317 said, dice always know what their affiliation is.

So, once you drop below the appropriate life total, Wonderman stops being a Villain and becomes an Avenger.

Whether he is fielded or not.

@Jthomash2 - does this help with my argument with that global?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    @Bestia , Infiltrate targets one die and one die only, it does not change the affiliation of a character card.

Infiltrate doesn't even change the affiliation of the die it targets, iirc, it adds an affiliation of your choice.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Infiltrate doesn't even change the affiliation of the die it targets, iirc, it adds an affiliation of your choice.
    Truth. Bestia was, if I am correct, asking for clarification on a question previously asked via pm. My choice of words to answer was specific, though perhaps confusing in the context of the forum. Apologies to all.

If its about Phoenix Force, it should be allowed. You are adding the affiliation with infiltrate, hence the die. You can use Colossus's global to achieve that one shot combo.