Thread: Shadowmeld's Sidekick Control

Shadowmeld's Sidekick Control

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time poster.

Actually, not that long of a listener as I just took up the game. But I am loving it, and The Reserve Pool is easily the best DM site "on the line".

Anyway, I was trying out the ramp mechanic introduced by Shadowmeld in The Prep Area podcast with a team he calls Sidekick Control. I just cannot get it to work at all. I tend to have a lot of dice in the bag at all times and no energy to buy things. If anyone has had success with this idea, could you please run me through a typical 4 turn setup?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeddy View Post
    Hi all,

Long time listener, first time poster.

Actually, not that long of a listener as I just took up the game. But I am loving it, and The Reserve Pool is easily the best DM site "on the line".

Anyway, I was trying out the ramp mechanic introduced by Shadowmeld in The Prep Area podcast with a team he calls Sidekick Control. I just cannot get it to work at all. I tend to have a lot of dice in the bag at all times and no energy to buy things. If anyone has had success with this idea, could you please run me through a typical 4 turn setup?

Thanks!

I feel you on this one. To be honest it's probably not one of my stronger decks. My recommendation is to play with JUST the ramp mechanic of SHIELD agents, Wasp, Goblin and Pyro, with a deck that has a stronger win condition, like Jocosta, Shield Helicarrier and Tinhead, or Rocket Raccoon and Starhawk. Then after you get that aspect under control, try adding in Fury and Slifer.

Honestly, Namor and Cap are probably Superfluous to that team and could easily be replaced with something you're more comfortable with.

Lastly, remember TPA teams try to use and highlight characters that don't get played all that often, and so sometimes, they're just not as strong as more competitive options. This is one of those teams, as it turns out, because we're using Slifer. Look to replace some of the cards on each of our teams for cards that are a bit stronger competitively, you'll usually have better luck, but still get the feel for the team.

Thanks for listening, and I'm happy you gave the team a shot. I fully stand behind the Agent/Wasp ramp mechanic, just remember to use your Pyro to burn through your bag to get the bag resets you need after a bigger purchase.

Hey Shadowmeld,

Thanks for the quick, detailed and honest reply!

I will detail my struggles with this mechanic...maybe I am missing something.

First, with Pyro, I find it is always a very bad gamble. At best - because you are rolling 4 sidekicks - there are 4 sidekick dice always in the bag or going into the bag. The odds of drawing a SHIELD agent or Wasp are very low. First, because the first 2 available should be fielded and second because of the sidekick dice that are almost certainly in the bag. The result, I have found it very difficult to get just this turn's purchases in the bag alone.

WRT to Norman Osbourne, this is a 3 for 2 ramp. Would you say a de-ramp? Comparing to the best ramp of all, PXG, where you get to use 2 energy for a purchase or global or something useful then you get to use 1 energy to get those "used" energy into the next roll.

With Osbourne, you have to field 2 sidekicks, that provide no utility at all, and then use Osbourne global to get those into the next roll. Ignoring the fact that sidekick characters are a 1/6 chance, and ignoring the fact that getting 4 or 6 to really ramp is impossible, all things equal and osbourne is a 3 for 2 ramp. With the 2 not having first provided some usefulness before going into the ramp.

Basically, my experience has been that it simply does not work. For me. I am very much a novice and beginner so I definitely concede I may be missing something. If so, I would love to hear.

Ah, I see some of your issues.

First and foremost, if your opponent brings PXG, try as hard as you can to use PXG as much as possible. You are right that it is much more effective. What this set up does for you is give you a relatively one-sided ramp tool that your opponent will struggle to match without PXG. If your opponent does bring PXG though, start your first two turns with bolt, mask mask and buy SHIELD agent and prep 3 dice from PXG. Turn 2, but Wasp, then pyro global. This should move SHIELD agent, Wasp and a sidekick into your bag.
    If you are lucky, you will draw shield agent and sidekick or draw wasp and roll her character face. This will leave wasp in your bag, or give you enough bolts to purchase another wasp straight away.

Pyro isn't there to give you more energy every time, he is more used to reset your bag so that your bag is flush with newly purchased chcharacters Ideally, with this maneuver, you will have a wasp fielded on turn 3 or 4 and your opponent will be taking 1 damage each PXG.

In games without PXG, don't try to use pyro to fish for more bolts, use him to exclusively reset your bag and move new purchases into the bag before the energy you spent to purchase them fills your bag and slows their arrival.

As for Norman Osbourne, he is not exclusively there for ramping sidekicks. He can clear your opponents threats, while prepping a sidekick. Think of his ability as two magic Missile activations, and a Blue-Eyes trigger. It is different, and more restrained, but you should be trying to field as many sidekicks as you can while keeping you purchasing power up. It will help to buy boltcharacters when instead of Sidekicks, you have bolt characters cycling through.

If you want to watch me play with this mechanic, I'm on vassal most nights and would be happy to walk you through it.