Thread: Need help with a Villains-Only team

Need help with a Villains-Only team

@pishposh , you're not allowed to read this :-)

So this week I'm going to a local event that is doing Marvel/DC Villain characters only, any BACs, but no non-Basic Actions. I'm trying to build a team for both myself and my wife, who understands concepts but doesn't play much (and tends to have extreme difficulty rolling characters). Here is my team for her:

Lots of low-cost stuff, since there's not a whole lot of ramp in only Villains.

Win condition is direct damage through Cheetah and Black Manta Retaliation, combined with Overcrush + Ultron Drone/Wonder Man/Mystique (buffed by all the other Villains).

Red Skull is mostly an option for life gain, since that's almost non-existent in Villains, and it fits her defensive play style. Sinestro is an optional purchase just to make fielding costs lower. Kang is just to help her dice rolls.

Assemble is pricey to purchase, but if she gets it it will enable her to get two characters of her choice out of her bag and onto the field (since she can't roll characters to save her life :P ) Since all characters are Villains, Teamwork should proc.

Defensively, Mystique should be pretty buffed and make a good blocker.

Here's my team:

My win condition is clearly Apocalypse (cuz he's fun). Goblin-Lord and Scarlet Witch are mostly cheap bolt characters to enable his purchase, with Goblin also helping out my Sidekicks. Most of my team is bolts, so Pyro should have plenty to draw from, and he can also help with some direct damage. If I can get Nasty Boy fielded, he'll help a lot with his Retaliation (since both of us will be running all-Villain teams).

Loki is there for some control, and Mystique is both a good blocker and a source of cheap masks for Magneto's Global. I can use it both offensively against his characters I don't want on the field, or I can use it on my own Apocalypse to keep re-fielding him.

Rally helps me get Sidekicks out for GG to buff, and also keeps them out of my bag to help with Churn. Nasty Plot is my Ramp source (I don't have any Shields to power Resurrection Global, and Villainous Pact doesn't help enough).

Any thoughts? Substitutions I could make on either team? We share the same card and dice pool, so using the same characters on both teams is somewhat limiting (other than UXM, which we have tons of). I don't have Gobby or any Jocasta cards/dice, otherwise I'd probably be putting them in. I know I'll be facing some SR Jocastas, so I'm looking for more direct damage causes rather than just combat damage.

Some villains have ramp. If you plan on using drones, make sure you have cheap fist characters. Black Manta David are cheap fist characters. Lot of the time, Villain teams are walling up and just pinging away. You can have the uncommon Jocasta, where she takes damage and you prep a dice. Gearing up would be useful for ramp/energy. Using Drones '1 in a million' with Black Manta Davids Fist energy. Sinestro is also good with the lowering the cost for Villains.

All depends on what type of villain team your going for.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Some villains have ramp. If you plan on using drones, make sure you have cheap fist characters. Black Manta David are cheap fist characters. Lot of the time, Villain teams are walling up and just pinging away. You can have the uncommon Jocasta, where she takes damage and you prep a dice. Gearing up would be useful for ramp/energy. Using Drones '1 in a million' with Black Manta Davids Fist energy. Sinestro is also good with the lowering the cost for Villains.

All depends on what type of villain team your going for.
    I don't have a ton of Justice League dice, I think I only have maybe a total of 3-4 Black Manta dice (using 2 for my wife's team). I don't have any Jocasta cards/dice to use currently. I have Sinestro on my wife's team, but he only helps with fielding costs, not purchase costs.

I took Nasty Plot instead of Gearing Up, because it gives me the extra re-roll (at the cost of waiting a turn).

I only have enough Ultron Drone dice for one of us to use it, so I am letting my wife have it. I think the cheaper Common would be slightly better than the Uncommon, since the only source for cheap energy are the Drones themselves, and without a bunch of energy to fuel the Global I don't think they'd be getting multi-blocked. I think if she can grab the Hulk Out dice, she can put those on the Ultron Drone or whoever else might get chump-blocked.

Update: I apparently don't have any Cheetah cards or dice. Help? What cheap bolt should I substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Update: I apparently don't have any Cheetah cards or dice. Help? What cheap bolt should I substitute?
    I've got extra common/uncommon Cheetah cards and 4+ dice for you if you want them. I can bring them on Thursday.

This Villains Only format with no non-Basic Actions is really giving me a hard time. The biggest problem for me is the lack of good ramp. I know at least one person will most likely be running Gobby full force so anything I come up with needs to take that into consideration. I have a few ideas bouncing around. They could be great or turn out really bad. Probably the later in most cases.

You should try Toad tongue lashing and Angelo Fortunado. Bring Loki Laufyson Manta David for cheap fist ramp and help you wall up. Then you can bring a ton of non fist villains, since most of them are going to use Drone, Manta Deathstroke or the like to finish off the game.

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    HT:Playing with Fire ?
    Villains only.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I've got extra common/uncommon Cheetah cards and 4+ dice for you if you want them. I can bring them on Thursday.

This Villains Only format with no non-Basic Actions is really giving me a hard time. The biggest problem for me is the lack of good ramp. I know at least one person will most likely be running Gobby full force so anything I come up with needs to take that into consideration. I have a few ideas bouncing around. They could be great or turn out really bad. Probably the later in most cases.
    I will take you up on that, since it saves me having to rethink my wife's team :P

We'll see how my strategy(s) go on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    You should try Toad tongue lashing and Angelo Fortunado. Bring Loki Laufyson Manta David for cheap fist ramp and help you wall up. Then you can bring a ton of non fist villains, since most of them are going to use Drone, Manta Deathstroke or the like to finish off the game.
    How will Angelo Fortunado help if most common Villains are fists? It'll keep the Sidekicks away (which will help stop Gobby), but I don't see it affecting much else.

I might slot on Toad though, slightly more expensive than I'd like for so little ramp, but maybe he can replace Mr. Sinister? (So the Global isn't being used against me via SR Jocasta)?

Other question: If I'm going to be facing Gobby and/or SR Jocasta, would Loki: Gemkeeper be better than Loki Laufeyson?

I thought about running a team with The Joker: Clown Prince of Crime, Loki: Gem-Keeper, and Lex Luthor: Billionaire Industrialist. Without a good source of ramp I thought they would be a little slow to get in the field.

UPDATE:

Event was last night, had a lot of fun!

Ended up going 2-1, but a lot of that was more due to bad rolling on my opponent's part than good strategy by me :-)

I swapped out Nasty Plot for Distraction, because I anticipated seeing more Jocastas and/or Gobbys attacking me and I'd rather not deal with them. Only ended up using it once or twice, mostly we just kept walling up.

I was able to get my Apocalypse out twice, and that was fun. Didn't deal a ton of damage, but it was fun

My wife ended up not playing, so what I should have done is substitute Scarlet Witch for common Cheetah (thanks again, @pishposh !), but I didn't think about it. Never bought Scarlet Witch, only used Goblin-Lord for cheap bolts (and kept one fielded for Sidekick buff). Should have bought 1-2 Goblin-Lords and then 2-3 Cheetahs, use them either for the bolts or for easy direct damage.

9/9 Mystique is fun

Lots of people brought Nasty Boy, and we had a few times when we were each taking the same damage from either of us KOing a Villain. This is when my Mystique's masks + Magneto's global helped me, letting me re-roll their Nasty Boy to energy so only my opponent was taking the hit from Villain KOs.

Had a lot of fun, it was a much harder build than I thought since there really isn't a lot of ramp. I don't own the "good" Villain SRs (Gobby, Jocasta) so I had to be a little more creative. Pretty sure the winner of the event was using Jocasta + Nasty Boy's Global, @pishposh played him in the final round and could tell you better than I could.

How do you manage to get 9/9 Mystique, does she count every Die that is a Villain?

Thanks for the Infos, lets my hopes high about Villain Teams

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    How do you manage to get 9/9 Mystique, does she count every Die that is a Villain?

Thanks for the Infos, lets my hopes high about Villain Teams
    The format we were playing was Villains Only, so each of our 8 slots had to be Villain characters.

Mystique counts each unique Villain other than herself. So I had a Mystique with 3 other Villains, and my opponent had 5 unique Villains, for a total of +8/+8.

WOW yeah, that is soooo cool! I want that tooo

The winning team was built around using Jocasta and Mr. Sinister's global.

I was running the following team

The idea was to use Villainous Pact to ramp up to my 5 cost characters. Loki, Joker, Lex Luthor would limit my opponents options. Sinestro would protect me against opposing globals. Mystique and Harley would provide energy to fuel Swords of Revealing Light global to allow Magneto to attack unblocked. Since Magneto goes to the Prep area instead of used he is ready to hit them again for another 4 - 6 damage.

On the way to the event I was thinking I should have traded out Beast for Kang to get an extra reroll. As it is, I never purchased Beast or Lex. My opponent was able to get Jocasta out the turn before I got Loki. Still, I was able to shut down both Toad and Cheetah. In the end, my opponent attacked with a 8/8 Mystique and a 7/7 Venom. I had a decent chance of having lethal on the next turn if I just took the damage. Unfortunately the dice didn't come up for me. The final turn my opponent got two and was able to use Mr. Sinister's global to ping Jocasta.

The Villains Only theme was a challenging one, but it was a lot of fun.