Thread: WizKids Promotional Imagery Not True to Life

WizKids Promotional Imagery Not True to Life

It dawned on me as I was browsing the Dice Masters subreddit that the promotional imagery that WizKids uses for a pile of dice in Age of Ultron is severely disconnected from the dice of reality. The specific instance that caught my eye was that Iron Man was a 2 and 3 fielding cost character on his level 2 and 3 faces respectively. After noticing that mistake, I began to look at the image with a more critical eye and was astonished by what I found: only one die in the entire image exists in reality the way it is depicted (in a recognizable way) in the promotional image. Every single other die with distinguishing marks was misprinted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dice Masters AoU Dice.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	2592

This isn't a particularly big issues or even one I'm complaining about. I just found it really strange that Wizkids would misrepresent their own products.

Nonetheless, I have a challenge for you all; take a look for yourself and see which die actually exists. I'm curious to know how closely you all pay attention to the dice.

I assume by misrepresented you are refering to the alignment of facings and orientation of those facings in relation to each other?
    Otherwise, I count multiple dice that have the proper faces, including Loki, Jocasta and Kang.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I assume by misrepresented you are refering to the alignment of facings and orientation of those facings in relation to each other?
    Otherwise, I count multiple dice that have the proper faces, including Loki, Jocasta and Kang.
    Yes, the orientation of the faces are also problems that make the dice impossible. Your guess of 3 characters is incorrect, though. I suggest bringing out the dice to confirm if you really think they're properly printed, you'll see what I mean

I wouldn't take any of their marketing images as definitive. The Yugioh feed shows all the characters as super rares (no SR Baby Dragon), the DC feeds show blue dice on the Maria Hill cards. Probably stuff that was based on pre-production artwork

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    I wouldn't take any of their marketing images as definitive. The Yugioh feed shows all the characters as super rares (no SR Baby Dragon), the DC feeds show blue dice on the Maria Hill cards. Probably stuff that was based on pre-production artwork
    Oh, most assuredly. That said, it's still strange that they got very clear issues wrong such as face orientation and the placement of the die's stats. Take for instance Giant-Man; his slanted face has no defense and a digit where bursts would be. Like I made sure to say earlier, none of this is a problem, just a curiosity.

Maybe

They use Mis-prints and Prototypes for the Promotional Imagery

And this is just a Theory .... A Dice Masters Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    Maybe

They use Mis-prints and Prototypes for the Promotional Imagery

And this is just a Theory .... A Dice Masters Theory
    I suspect it's more an issue of them not caring about accuracy. They probably hand the job off to a graphic designer with simple instructions about what they want. The graphic designer isn't inimately familiar with the dice, so he just makes them look good for the promotional imagery.

I don't see an issue with the image. Mainly because it's not a picture of real dice. It's clearly a digital creation of dice, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's made of test images of dice from early in development.

On top of all of that, I don't think this counts as misrepresentation, as most people won't be looking this closely at the images of dice.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, just seems like a silly thing to complain about.

The thing that I noticed a while back and find interesting is that they have Maria's die colored the same as Bucky's. Makes one wonder if they intended it to be that way and realized there'd be two dice that look extremely similar and changed up Maria's color to distinguish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnofist View Post
    I don't see an issue with the image. Mainly because it's not a picture of real dice. It's clearly a digital creation of dice, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's made of test images of dice from early in development.

On top of all of that, I don't think this counts as misrepresentation, as most people won't be looking this closely at the images of dice.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, just seems like a silly thing to complain about.
    Hehe, no worries. I don't think anyone took it for a real image of dice and I'm very explicitly not complaining. I just thought it was an odd and unique bit of trivia.

The thing that's weird about it is that this couldn't be from early development or test images since the die face orientations have remained constant since the initial print of Yu-Gi-Oh. If you look at any character die, it's character faces are always on the same axis, have the level one face in between the level 2 and 3 faces with the level 2 face above and the level 3 face below, and meet at a bottom-to-bottom and top-to-top orientation. The energy faces are also along the same axis, start with the one energy side clockwise of the level 1 face, and the faces are all oriented top-to-bottom along the same vertical axis.

The only die in the entire image that follows these established rules for dice without having an error when compared to the physical dice is Jocasta. All the other dice don't exist as they are portrayed in this image and I find this to be quite curious indeed.