Thread: In a Skid AND a Funk

In a Skid AND a Funk

Hello,

So, thanks to Vassal and regular events at my FLGS, I have played more Dice Masters in the past two weeks than in any stretch since April 2014 (so, ever). It has been great. Except... I'm losing. Badly. Part of the issue is that I've made a HUGE step up when playing on Vassal by playing people from all around. And, obviously, these people are serious enough about the game to take the time to learn to play online and actually play. I've learned a lot from these games, but I'm still getting stomped. Then, there is the local situation. I did win a draft a few weeks ago but, last week in the DC draft, I went 1-2. And I only won the game that I won due to a risky gamble and some luck.

Today we had a casual gaming day, and I got spanked in all 3 games I took part in. Stomped, crushed, and pureed.

I think I know what is happening in the local scene. At the DC draft: 1) I drafted a Super Rare Black Canary instead of a common Cheetah. The only common Cheetah in our pod (somehow). That common Cheetah would have been helpful, but instead I ended up with a team with no real direction or win condition and 2) my rolls were the WORST. The problem with today's casual games was that I tried to use two teams that "aren't quite there". If we are honest, one of them is a pipe dream at best anyway. The guy who whipped me was using a VERY good and fast team that I just couldn't find an answer for. I DID get to pull off a sweet combo, but it wasn't enough to win. I do feel happy that my local group is getting better, even as I seem to be moving backwards.

So, I guess what I'm getting at, are two questions:

1) Have you ever been in a nosedive, where every game has been an exercise in frustration?

2) What would you suggest to pull out of it?

I'm trying hard not to get frustrated, but it IS starting to wear on me a little. On the other hand, I know that the only way to get better is to go through periods like this. I don't think I grew much as a player when I was winning most of my games, and I may have let my strategy lag a little as a result. This is the first game I've played in any competitive capacity, not counting a dalliance with Magic back in the early to mid 90s.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a little. If anyone has any general suggestions, please fire away.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I don't mean this post to come off as whiny. I've just hit a wall, and need a little help finding a way to push through it. I know I was never anywhere near being the best player, but right now I'm certainly playing like one of the worst.

Pick one deck, stick with it, and hone it to perfection. By the time you start stomping peoples faces with it repeatedly, you'll be so board with it that you will want to lose a few with something fun.

As for the general, from what it sounds like in your stories, take a minute before each game to remind yourself what the plan is with the deck. If the plan takes more than 4 dice (dice, not characters) than acknowledge that there is a high percentage chance that it will fail. Knowing that your decks have a large margin of failure atleast can keep you level headed.

Lastly, if all else fails, play Apologies in Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Pick one deck, stick with it, and hone it to perfection.
    That is part of my problem. I like switching between different teams and, when I do that, I don't have time to learn how to play one team very well. Part of why I like draft is that I am playing something "new" (even if I've seen the parts before). I also like changing the radio station after hearing enough of a song that I like, and like turning off a movie I've seen halfway in. I need discipline and I need to "fall in love" with a team concept and keep at it.

Also, I need to make a team that isn't too off the wall.

I don't necessarily agree with Shadowmeld here. When games get frustrating, it's probably best to not play the game even more. It goves you more chances to feel frustrated. Ive been playing all sorts of games for the majority of my life and I know the feeling of frustration. I did find a trick that helped out quite a bit though. It honestly sounds like you're a bit burnt out on the game. I think your best bet is to take some time, even as short as a day or two and focus on something else, anything just don't get preoccupied with Dicemasters.

The change of pace is very refreshing and it really helps gove your brain tome to calm down and think clearly about the game. I tended to play underdog decks in Yugioh for example, so I was no stranger to losing to the $600 meta decks. The simple solution was to take a few days, play some video games, maybe watch some movies from my backlog, anything else but Yugioh. Coming back from some time off gave me the opportunity to look at things differently, reevaluate my strategy, come back and win. I'm not saying it's the only thing to do, or that it even works for everyone, but I'd definitely give it a shot if I were you.
    Last edited by Osprey; 08-18-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with Shadowmeld here. When ges get frustrating, it's probably best to not play the game even more. It goves you more chances to feel frustrated. Ive been playing all sorts of games for the majority of my life and I know the feeling of frustration. I did find a trick that helped out quite a bit though. It honestly sounds like you're a bit burnt out on the game. I think your best bet is to take some time, even as short as a day or two and focus on something else, anything just don't get preoccupied with Dicemasters.

The change of pace is very refreshing and it really helps gove your brain tome to calm down and think clearly about the game. I tended to play underdog decks in Yugioh for example, so I was no stranger to losing to the $600 meta decks. The simple solution was to take a few days, play some video games, maybe watch some movies from my backlog, anything else but Yugioh. Coming back from some time off gave me the opportunity to look at things differently, reevaluate my strategy, come back and win. I'm not saying it's the only thing to do, or that it even works for everyone, but I'd definitely give it a shot if I were you.
    The weird thing is, after thinking on it for a bit, I'm actually more interested in re-doubling my efforts to learn how to play the game in a competitive setting. The deal I think I have to make with myself, however, is to not play it the same way as everyone else. Sure, it means giving up on winning every time... but, what can you do?

That being said, I'll probably take a few day hiatus until the next round of Dice Masters events this weekend. I also have a D&D Attack Wing event on Sunday, so I might just focus on building a team for that (and finishing Batman Arkham Knight again).

Thank you for the advices.

One thing you might want to try is to take a break from the game for a week or two.

This is something that is sometimes done by sportspersons and musicians.

Particularly to 'unlearn' bad habits.

It gives the subconscious time to process the problem and find solutions.

I would say finding the perfect team helps a lot too. I took a little break from the game, and then when I came back, I found my Little Cup Avengers team. Fell in love with it, and here we are.

Well... I'm no longer in a funk, just a skid. I think my thinking had become too uptight (to paraphrase the Dude). I also think the dreaded "results oriented thinking" wormed its way into my brain. I'm going to work on playing the best game I can, and have fun doing it.