Thread: Armored Airheads: Iron Man & War Machine Fun Team

Armored Airheads: Iron Man & War Machine Fun Team

I'm on a bit of a roll it seems. Now that I've had some time off from work to relax, I've started thinking a lot about Dice Masters. Building teams, thinking about strategies and whatnot. I also got some mail, a super rare Scarlet Witch and super rare Jocasta. That finishes everything off, and I now own every released card in the game I could possibly want until the next OP sets get released. I even managed to finish my collection of full-art cards.

Now that all of that is out of the way, I really don't have any incentive to try and win at locals, especially since the WES system is, erm, less than perfect. Anyways, one of the things I also finished doing recently is catching up on all of the movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While Ant-Man is probably my hands-down favorite, I really do like the Iron Man movies, and Iron Man in general. I'm not a big comics guy, so I can't vouch for the characters anywhere else, but I really like how Iron Man and War Machine interact, especially when they are fighting together. I really look forward to seeing all of these characters come back in the next Avengers movies, but until then I decided to make a team based around one of my favorite underused cards, Iron Man: Philanthropist.

Since we have some support in the new Pepper Potts cards, let's dive in to what I decided to go with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magneto-Magnetic-Monster.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	2651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1074602.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	2652

Aside from an all full-art team, this is easily one of the most pointlessly expensive (and downright pointless altogether) teams that I've ever assembled, but it's well worth it.

The win condition here is the uncommon War Machine. Since he can't be blocked while Iron Man is fielded, he will be swinging in repeatedly for 3-5 damage per war machine I attack with. However, since he can only accomplish this whilst paired up with Iron Man, Philanthropist is here to provide support in 3 ways:

1- Lifegain combo. Thanks to Iceman and Magic Missile, Iron Man can keep our life at steady levels while we set up our combo

2- Distract the opponent with his flashy attitude while War Machine does the government's dirty work behind the scenes, hitting the opponent unblocked

3- Provide a consistent, large presence on the board and help swing for game.

Thanks to polymorph and him being a 5 cost, he is an easy turn 3 field thanks to polymorph. It's even possible to buy him turn 2, field Pepper potts turn 3 and knock her out to pull him out of your bag and field him for free at level 1.

Pepper Potts is obvious. She keeps Tony Stark on his feet by running everything from behind the scenes. When she inevitably passes out from exhaustion, Tony Stark will swoop in and save the day, all the while pretending he isn't the root cause of her day to day problems.

Constantine Hellblazer provides double shield energy and a powerful stall mechanic, makign setup even easier and punishing opponents who rely on "when fielded" effects to win the game.

Iceman: TCFW provides bolt energy for the lifegain combo and magic missilling away little guys on the other side of the board for early damage.

PXG is the main ramp source while BEWD provides extra ramp and allows us to trigger Pepper Potts on demand, getting a free Iron Man whenever we want from the bag.

The Zombie Magneto gives us another control element, something to do with excess shield energy and, most importantly, a way to deal with pesky Constantines, Gobbys and uncommon Pepper Potts trying to spin Iron Man off of his burst face. His starts aren't too bad either, and the chase is so cool, I just had to put him somewhere. This felt like such an inappropriate use of such an expensive card, I just had to do it.

Magic Missile exists for the important global, and can help break weird parity situations via continuous, consistent damage and weenie spot removal.

Polymorph is a powerful BAC for putting our win conditions on the board, and the global allows us to spin down pepper to spin up Iron Man to his burst face consistently.

Well, that's the team. I'd like to have found room for a pump global to boost war machines attack, or a mask source to use for PXG/polymorph globals, but it's pretty tight.

If you have any comments or suggestions, definitely let me know since I'd like to play this team for the next little while, and take a break from playing seriously at the local level. I felt like kind of a jerk, but I wanted to win packs and find the chase rares or potential trade bait for the chases. Thanks for taking the time to look at this monstrosity!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ironman2-review2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	2653

I think this could be more competitive than you think the surprise aspect we were talking about is there.

What two card would you sub in for the SRs if you didn't have them? The reason I as is I like your team and would like to make it with cards that I have. As you can guess I am missing both SRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jar_99 View Post
    What two card would you sub in for the SRs if you didn't have them? The reason I as is I like your team and would like to make it with cards that I have. As you can guess I am missing both SRs.
    Well, the Magneto is more a factor of my local meta, since they love spinning my stuff down with the uncommon pepper potts. If you don't have Hellblazer or Magneto, I'd make the following changes:

BACS: Swap Magic Missile for Invulnerability

Characters: Swap Constantine out for rare Slifer the Sky Dragon for the bolt global, and Magneto out for either Millenium Puzzle or Solomon Grundy rare for control/removal/something to murder hulk.

Taking out missile for slifer and invulnerability gives you access to the ping global, while also giving you something to pump up War Machine when he is unblockable for higher damage. Puzzle or grundy, as I said, make it easier to deal with threats like hulk, the joker, loki, etc.

Did some testing today, tentatively testing millenium puzzle in place of iceman for now, will update this once I determine which option is better overall.

I built a similar team around Pepper/Iron Man/War Machine and I really dig it. I've been struggling to find a supporting cast though.

I put in Toad - Mortimer Toynbee to force enemies to attack into Iron Man. For ramp, I use Silver Surfer - Sentinel's global. For mass removal I'm using Cyclops - If Looks Could Kill. Rounding out the team I'm using Beast - Mutate #666 and Storm - Wind Rider.

Unfortunately, I don't have Hellblazer or BEWD. I also find the ramps pretty slowly and I'm doing lots of damage to myself with Silver Surfer's global. And until I get Iron Man and Toad out, I don't have a good way to gain that life back. Would you recommend I make any changes? I'm still very new to the game but I've quite enjoyed playing the team so far, and especially like the three cards the team is built around.

Quote Originally Posted by jhaviland View Post
    I built a similar team around Pepper/Iron Man/War Machine and I really dig it. I've been struggling to find a supporting cast though.

I put in Toad - Mortimer Toynbee to force enemies to attack into Iron Man. For ramp, I use Silver Surfer - Sentinel's global. For mass removal I'm using Cyclops - If Looks Could Kill. Rounding out the team I'm using Beast - Mutate #666 and Storm - Wind Rider.

Unfortunately, I don't have Hellblazer or BEWD. I also find the ramps pretty slowly and I'm doing lots of damage to myself with Silver Surfer's global. And until I get Iron Man and Toad out, I don't have a good way to gain that life back. Would you recommend I make any changes? I'm still very new to the game but I've quite enjoyed playing the team so far, and especially like the three cards the team is built around.
    Well, I do think this is a team that absolutely needs pxg, if only to keep sidekicks out of your bag and recycle War Machine quickly. I would recommend swapping out surfer for pxg. If you are worried about your opponent using it and want some additional control because you don't have the super rares, the rare Wasp and rare Jinzo work very well as substitutes on this team and can be bought with energy your characters are already providing. I do like your idea of using toad, it could be quite an effective removal card for dealing with low to medium level threats, especially while giving you another method of triggering iron man.