Thread: Wind Rider ability vs The First Avenger

Wind Rider ability vs The First Avenger

Scenario:

Player A has Capt. America - The First Avenger at lvl3 (w/ burst) and 2 sidekicks.
    Player B fields Wind Rider and re-rolls the 2 sidekicks, both are now energy.

Does Capt. America gain 1 life for each sidekick turned energy limiting the overall damage to Player A to 2?

OR

Wind Rider's ability resolves as 4 damage, so now Capt. America can now only gain 1 life and the overall damage dealt to Player A is 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America
    While active, whenever you take non-combat damage, spin this character up one level.

* Also gain 1 life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    When fielded, reroll up to 2 opposing characters. Each die that does not roll a character goes to your opponent's used pile. Storm deals 2 damage to your opponent for each die moved.
    I would say that it is one instance of non-combat damage, dealing 4 damage. Captain America's ability would process once, attempting to spin up (unsuccessfully, since he's already at level 3), and his burst ability would trigger once. So, 4 damage + 1 life = net 3 damage (unless you were only at 4 life, in which case you'd be dead before the life gain happened).

Very similar situation, but I think the question is more about Storm's ability than Captain America's. Does Storm's ability result in two separate instances of 2 damage each, or one instance of 4 damage?

My interpretation is one instance of 4 damage.

Don't have the link handy but there is a Wind Rider/Human Paladin ruling that says you can spend one shield on Pally's global to reduce 4 Wind Rider damage to 1, which I think pretty clearly informs that she if she deals 4 damage it's one instance of triggering Cap (or Hulk, or whomever) and not two.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Don't have the link handy but there is a Wind Rider/Human Paladin ruling that says you can spend one shield on Pally's global to reduce 4 Wind Rider damage to 1, which I think pretty clearly informs that she if she deals 4 damage it's one instance of triggering Cap (or Hulk, or whomever) and not two.
    I think it's this one, and I'd agree completely.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...72c3e65#p11605

Thanks for the replies! I ran into this situation a few days ago. I was 90% sure wind rider would be resolved as a solid 4 damage, but some still speculated that it was 2 instances of 2 damage. Thanks again guys!

Yep, completely agree with all the above.

Wind-Rider deals 0, 2, or 4 damage, as a single effect, in my opinion.

Likewise for Apocalypse Earth-295.