Thread: Feedback on custom characters (and my custom dice)

Feedback on custom characters (and my custom dice)

Evening all,

This is my first post here, so hopefully this thread is in the right place - if not, please could someone move it.

I'd seen the custom character cards that people have made and fancied having a go myself, but wanted to go one further and make custom dice to go with them. The basic idea I had was to find dice with the right stats and then repaint them and add new character symbols. So far I've made cards and dice for Huntress, Manhunter and Doctor Fate. Unfortunately I don't get to play as often as I'd like so I was hoping to get some feedback on the cards to help me balance the abilities and costs.

Here are the three cards for Huntress - the first is based on Hawkeye's rules and represents her using her crossbow, the second gets a bonus to defence to try to represent the fact that Huntress can be somewhat reckless when attacking, and the third gets a bonus if Black Canary is around as Birds of Prey is one of my favourite series.

I also have three cards for Doctor Fate - for these I just took abilities from similar characters in other sets that seemed to fit my image of the how he should work in the game.

And finally here are three cards for Manhunter - again, these just have different powers representing different aspects of the character.

What I'm hoping for are comments on whether the characters seem balanced and suggestions to improve them. I should note that since the dice are done I'm really only able to change the abilities and cost.

Now I mentioned at the start that I've made dice for these characters - pictures are below and there's a thread about how I went about making them on BGG, but if anyone has any comments or questions then I'm happy to answer them here.

Apologies that this has turned into such a long thread, but thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Dave

Welcome! Glad to see you here

I'm nowhere near good enough to offer a solid critique, but I love what you've done. The only thing that seems "odd" is for Manhunter that her abilities use a different energy type than she provides. It's been done (by Black Canary), but it's very rare and unusual. That could be something to consider.

Looking forward to seeing some "better" critique!

Holy wow, these are incredible.

Makes me want to look into it more. Great work.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    What a tremendous amount of work. Loads of kudos, sir. Hope you are satisfied. Those look amazing!

These look great! Very timely for me--the TRP crew just started doing experiments this past Wednesday towards the goal of customizing dice. Our experiments are still ongoing, but we'll share with everyone what we come up with.

A couple of quick questions about your technique:

1) Did you strip off the old paint before repainting?
    2) So the character symbols appear to be painted on the now flat surface created by the green stuff. They're not indented?
    3) If so, how are they holding up? Did you clear coat afterwards to protect it from damage?
    4) In your blind-test feeling it the dice bag, did you attempt to go for the strategy of feeling for a side that was flat in the middle?

Anyway, amazing, amazing work! This could be the start of something big!

Any concern that the "green stuff" throws off the balance of the die?

Thanks for all the kind comments so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    The only thing that seems "odd" is for Manhunter that her abilities use a different energy type than she provides. It's been done (by Black Canary), but it's very rare and unusual. That could be something to consider.
    Yeah, I went back and forth on what energy type would be appropriate - Kate mostly kicks and punches opponents, so Fist energy seemed right, but she also has her staff that can fire energy bolts. This seemed a reasonable way to represent the character, although I accept that it's unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    A couple of quick questions about your technique:

1) Did you strip off the old paint before repainting?
    No, I just lightly sanded the surface to give the paint a better surface to adhere to.

2) So the character symbols appear to be painted on the now flat surface created by the green stuff. They're not indented?
    Correct - except in the case of the Huntress dice where I just filled in the 'H' on the Hawkeye dice and left the rest indented. The other dice just have symbols painted onto the now smooth surface.

3) If so, how are they holding up? Did you clear coat afterwards to protect it from damage?
    So far they're doing fine, but I did give the symbols a coat of clear varnish to protect them. That said, as I mentioned before, I don't get to play as much as I'd like so they haven't seen heavy use - but I think they're pretty durable.

4) In your blind-test feeling it the dice bag, did you attempt to go for the strategy of feeling for a side that was flat in the middle?
    I did try and I thought it'd be easier to tell them apart than it turned out to be. The dice from Wizkids are not that consistent anyway - for example, some existing dice already have fairly smooth sides as their symbol is indented less then the symbol on other dice. I'm sure people with a very sensitive touch could tell them apart, but I doubt they could do it quickly enough that it wouldn't be obvious what they're trying to do (and if they can do that, I'd expect they could do it with existing dice too).

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    Any concern that the "green stuff" throws off the balance of the die?
    No great concern. Greenstuff is fairly low density and while it'll obviously change the balance slightly, I don't think the dice are made to exacting tolerances in the first place.

Going to +1 the "those look awesome" posts!

Wow. The best I have come up with for custom dice is getting blanks and printing out stickers. That's fairly awesome and shows some commitment. Kudos!

All very nice! I especially like the Fate JSA cards!