Thread: Atomica Trinity War

Atomica Trinity War

Atomica Trinity War
    While Atomica is active, once per turn during your Main Step, you may swap her with a Villain die in your Reserve Pool.

Can you use Atomica's ability to swap her with a Villain die that rolled energy? If so does that Villain change to level 1?

My intuition would say no. An energy die cannot be in the Field, so it would not be a valid target for an effect that would put it into the Field.

At best, you would swap them and then energy die would go immediately back into the reserve pool, effectively un-fielding her for no benefit.

I guess you could then re-field her to trigger Johnny Storm, but it seems like a negligible benefit.

I hope we get an official ruling on this question...

I don't see any way to have it so the Villain would change its face and become a character (on level 1 or any level).

I agree. It seems a little strange but the card text says Villain die, and not Villain character. I figured I'd ask about it. I've submitted the question to the Wizkids Rules Forum, so hopefully we will eventually get an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    Atomica Trinity War
    While Atomica is active, once per turn during your Main Step, you may swap her with a Villain die in your Reserve Pool.

Can you use Atomica's ability to swap her with a Villain die that rolled energy? If so does that Villain change to level 1?
    According to WK, die will always remember what character card/affiliation they are, so while it would seem that you could use any die because of the way they choose to phrase the ability I think the key word here is swap. Die rolled and sitting in the reserve pool are considered whatever face is up, and swapping would indicate that the die facing needs to be a character in order to move into the field.

If, by chance, they decide to rule it the other way (anything is possible with them these days), then unless specified the die moving into the field would be spun to lvl 1

We really do need a definition of the word swap. It's one of the technical terms that has many nuanced ramifications that just have not been defined yet.

I'm willing to accept that it could be a valid target, potentially.

But what precedent do we have for spinning it to level 1? As best I can tell, they would switch places, the energy die would realize it's in a place it can't be, and would return to the Reserve Pool.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    But what precedent do we have for spinning it to level 1?

Also, SR Catwoman was ruled to put the die in at level 1.