Thread: Can someone put together a WES "How To" for Beginners

Can someone put together a WES "How To" for Beginners

I am just starting to use the WES System as a volunteer at a store. I am quite unclear how to use this tool.

1) How to I assign or remove a volunteer for an existing event?
    2) Is it possible to change other details about an existing event? For example the time or date?
    3) My understanding is that you can enter scores and it will create pairings. I don't see this interface or event how to access this interface. Where is this feature?

Any other tips or tricks would be super helpful. Thanks!!

Have you reviewed these?

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/faq.php

Those are tutorials (with pictures) that seem to show how to do what you are looking for.

Note: I've only ever used WES from a player's perspective, never from a Store's or Volunteer's.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    I am just starting to use the WES System as a volunteer at a store. I am quite unclear how to use this tool.

1) How to I assign or remove a volunteer for an existing event?
    2) Is it possible to change other details about an existing event? For example the time or date?
    3) My understanding is that you can enter scores and it will create pairings. I don't see this interface or event how to access this interface. Where is this feature?

Any other tips or tricks would be super helpful. Thanks!!
    I'm sorry to say this, but the WES system is full of issues. I have worked out a solution for my store and it works very well for us though.

My number one tip, if you are using the system to make it go smoothly:

Pair it with another system. Either Mantis or standard MTG Swiss tournament software. Run the pairings through Mantis,MTG software, etc and then manually enter them into the WES each round. That way, people can get their advantages for using the WES, and you get to use software that doesn't attempt to end a tournament after 2 rounds with 3 ties. (yes, this has happened)

You can change scheduling on the event planner, and to assign a volunteer make sure to add the account as a volunteer for your store in the overall management area, and then you can select from a list once you are creating the event. It takes some getting used to, but you can definitely do it. I've been running the events quite smoothly for a few months now.

But if you are doing that, be careful - Because WES might end up giving you a different winner (depending on how you break ties in your outside system)
    For example, my draft the other week - I came second with a 2 and 0 recorded, because the guy who won (his record was 2 and 1) had a slightly SOS then I did ( because the bye)

Thanks for the input. I found my first mistake. When creating the initial event I accidentally removed myself as a volunteer, which limited my ability to edit said event.

@Osprey
    I am not familiar with "Mantis" or standard MTG Swiss tournament software. I will will be searching for a potential iPhone candidate. Is there a mobile app you could suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    But if you are doing that, be careful - Because WES might end up giving you a different winner (depending on how you break ties in your outside system)
    For example, my draft the other week - I came second with a 2 and 0 recorded, because the guy who won (his record was 2 and 1) had a slightly SOS then I did ( because the bye)
    It tends to happen from time to time, but I personally view the WES points as meaningless and unrepresentative of how good people are anyways, as do the prople in my area so it's not a huge deal, as long as I hand out prizes properly.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    Thanks for the input. I found my first mistake. When creating the initial event I accidentally removed myself as a volunteer, which limited my ability to edit said event.

@Osprey
    I am not familiar with "Mantis" or standard MTG Swiss tournament software. I will will be searching for a potential iPhone candidate. Is there a mobile app you could suggest?
    Nothing for mobile no. These are computer programs. I already do a few things for the store, so I have accessto the computer to run events. If you are running at a gaming store, they should most likely have some MTG software installed.

There is a decent one called Tourney - Check in the software section of this forum for more details

There is a decent one called Tourney - Check in the software section of this forum for more details
    After downloading and playing with the app for a few minutes it seems to work well. I like that it easily allows for ties (draws). Thanks!!

Well i tried Mantis on PC and its ok but i dont like that i cannot track the Tournament Matches along the road. Are there some alternatives?

On PC I use http://challonge.com/

It also lets people watch the matches update live

...and by dice masters rules, which goes by 3 points per win, 1 per tie, and 0 per loss, you both had 6 points, and so strength of schedule SHOULD have been the deciding factor.

I understand that technically, you had a better overall record, but Dice Masters scoring is like soccer (or hockey, I think). You get 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie game (both players get 1), and 0 for a loss, and with Dice Masters rules, you both won two games, the only things either of you did to gain points, so you both had 6 points, and the harder schedule should have most definitely won.

Are you familiar with how competition works?

Also, directed to the OP - I use the WES for all of my events, and sometimes people will get paired that already played each other, because of they match up points/strength of schedule wise for the last of three rounds, so I can simply push the X button (on my iPhone without wifi) next to the pairings I dislike (for whatever reason, including already having played, which is all I can really think of having been a problem), and manually pair people, switching to the next closest points/SoS matchups. The thing you'll see, though, is that when you do this, the strength of schedules are weird, so you'll have more people at the 2-1 or so with a .22222 SoS or something and people at 1-2 or 0-3 with all of the .666666 SoS's, because the pairings weren't perfectly done by previous play record, which would pit people who had already played, normally.

It's easily fixed, and I honestly don't see how you could have a problem with the WeS. You literally can easily add people to the event, on your phone, that weren't signed up, register the results of the pairings and click save (if not all pairings are done, in case the browser closes or something), and then go to the next round after all pairings have results, and push automatically seat in two ways, one is Swiss, the other is something else, and it will make pairings. If anyone has played each other, delete at least two games to switch the players around, then push the persons' name on the list and every two pushed get paired automatically, and start the round.

It's literally so simple a caveman could do it. It gives you the results, and calculates strength of schedule for you, and even gives a simple place to input the Fellowship winner, and then "finalize" the event. I literally have watched results live for local big events from the live scoring updates in HeroClix games, and if there was an 8 round Dice Masters tourney, I could see the matchups and winners of each round as they're input, as well.

Where are these problems coming from? I think a lot of people just haven't ever done anything "competitive" before, and/or don't understand the Dice Masters scoring structure, as demonstrated by the gentleman I quoted in my previous post, who thought his 2-0 should have immediately superseded a 2-1 in a Dice Masters tournament, forgoing SoS, because he obviously didn't understand the 3, 1, 0, win, tie, loss, respectively, scoring structure. People also might not consistently start off and every round click "seat swiss," and also might not know how to delete a matchup and change them up before a round has started, without going back and trying to change things in previous rounds or whatever.

Really, it's about as intuitive as it gets, and I'm normally the first to jump on Wizkids for messing up.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    Are you familiar with how competition works?

Yes I am familiar how competition works, Hockey uses a complex system with Most Games first, then Head to Head results, And then Goal Differential - Not Strength of Schedule. (reference 1 reference 2)

Many games use Point Differential as the first tie breaker, meaning the person with the larger average margin of victory wins.
    Other games use the head to head result as the tie breaker, Ie the person won the game between the two tied players

As someone who has ran number of leagues both in store and on vassal for other games, you can keep your condensing questions to yourself, as I was pointing out that different software use different tie breakers

On PC I use http://challonge.com/

It also lets people watch the matches update live
    Thanks, it does everything i need!

Is there a App for it? Also problem would be, we dont have the best internet connection for that. i will try, maybe i can have an insight in Magic Tournament Software aswell

Not sure there is an app - though the webpage works fine on my iPad

Hey Fun4willis, PM me, I can walk you through the ins and outs of the WES Event System. I have a bunch of events recorded in the system for my FLGS.

I know I'm a little late say like months but I am trying to figure out scoring through Wes as well as it seems to be placing incorrectly. As I read above tho am I misinterpreting the score but it sounds to me that the 2-0 with a bye should have beat the 2-1 player.
    Please help my logic here.

So 2-1 = 3 round scored as 3+3+0=6pts

And 2-0+bye=3+3+(3 no strength sch)=9

I thought a bye counted as a full win 3pts but with 0 strength of schedule.

Also not sure difference between standard and dice masters scoring. Store has been using standard and not included dong the score for each round just w/l will that matter for rank?

I played in a 12 ppl 3 round tourn
    Went 2-1
    Score of 18-0, 20-0, 0-3
    Top score were 3-0
    And 6 ppl @ 2-1 somehow I came in 6th playing the 2,3,4th rank players if I beat 2 out of the 3 of them and we all had 2-1 record how am I placed behind others that played lower ranks? I don't understand how it balances it
    Remember score was input as 0 and only who won each round was marked. Thanks for any clarification.