Thread: The Red Hood

The Red Hood

Hi all,

Looking for clarification on a card:

What would qualify as 'you' doing damage? Do characters qualify? Or would that be the character doing damage?

Which of these would or wouldn't trigger:

This *-trigger?

This global?

Actions like this?

Well what i can say is, that Joker deals the equal damage to the shared affiliated characters. The Rest is up to you.
    But as the cards says, you means everything that you does. Dont know if it includes Characters as well, but yes Globals and Action Cards are used by you, the player.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say:

It definitely includes Globals and Actions.

Red Hood only spreads the damage around, he doesn't multiply damage. But yes, anything that you control counts as damage for him.

To reference you examples below. Toad will only do 2 damage to anything. but any of YOUR characters that share an affiliation with your opponent's characters, will also take 2 damage.

Mister sinister will do 3 damage to each character who shares an affiliation with the target your opponent chooses. (arguable whether you are doing the damage or your opponent, but since you paid for it I think it's you, and your opponent just gets to choose the target, he's not the source.

Powerbolt, would do 2 damage to all characters that share an affiliation with the target of powerbolt (assuming it's an opponent's character)

The only time that Multiple sources would be doing damage at the same time is combat damage, otherwise resolve the effects one at a time and have Joker spread around the damage. Note, Joker doesn't resolve after damage resolves, he spreads the damage before the initial effect thus, you can't powerbolt a hulk, then have another hulk trigger, then get the damage bouncing back and forth between them.

About the Sinister Global, it is correct as Shadowmeld says, there was a Ruling about this global against Iron Man that cannot damaged by villains, but Sinister is not the Source of the global, it is you.

You could think of Red Hood as a small Hulk, because he needs a Modifier to the Affiliation Modifier.

I think he is really interesting if you bring him in a Draft with common Harley.

And like i said i am not sure if the "you" is ment for your characters too, but in logic i would say yes, because you control them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Red Hood only spreads the damage around, he doesn't multiply damage.
    Not sure what you mean by that, @Shadowmeld .

Could you clarify?

He means, that Joker Red Hood is smashing(like Green Goliath) it around, it is 1 Damage source that is Joker, he copys the Damage 1x1 to all affiliated characters.

THink about that Joker throws Molotov Cocktails from someone , but he adds Kryptonite to it and his targets are supergirl and superman.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=1801

When a card says "You" damage the opponent, it includes all characters you control.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that, @Shadowmeld .

Could you clarify?
    If I use fireball to hit all characters, Red Hood doesn't cause any extra damage. If you use powerbolt on Widow, it basically be comes a fireball that targets only Avengers.

Joker doesn't multiply the damage, or trigger himself, he just makes single target effects, affiliation wide effects.

If I use fireball to hit all characters, Red Hood doesn't cause any extra damage. If you use powerbolt on Widow, it basically be comes a fireball that targets only Avengers.

Joker doesn't multiply the damage, or trigger himself, he just makes single target effects, affiliation wide effects.
    I still don't understand what you mean here.

Perhaps a specific example will help.

I have Joker fielded and a Power Bolt in reserve.
    You have 5 different Avengers characters fielded.
    I Power Bolt one of your Avengers.

What happens?

I think with Power Bolt it is pretty straight forward. From your example, I would think that all 5 Avengers would take 2 damage from Power Bolt.

The part that trips me up, and why I've stayed away from using this card, is resolving multiple sources of damage.

I have 2 Joker(2A/5D), 1 Solomon Grundy(4A/4D), and 1 Black Manta(2A/4D) in the field.
    You have 1 Groot(3A/7D), 1 Star-Lord(5A/3D), and 1 Moondragon(3A/4D) character fielded.
    I attack with 1 Joker, Solomon, and Black Manta and they are blocked by Moondragon Star-Lord, Groot respectively.
    Ignoring everyones ability except Joker, how much damage is dealt?

So maybe we will see a ruling in some time, because with more and more affiliated characters (Lantern Corps and Guardians of galaxy) hey would become a strong card for some combos.

But i will take a guess whatever it may be here is what i think:

Guess 1:

It is ment to be only the Joker Card that deals damage will trigger him.
    You will ask "why?" and i would answer: "normal thinking/logic" .

If there would be a card that does this multiple times i want him in my Burner/Ping Teams. He would be a Gread finisher card or think about a strong Striker Like Black Panther, Martian Manhunter, etc... + Feedback.

Guess 2:
    like already said. He can do it and we still dont know if it means also some characters doing this.

If he works like his text is read, here is a team for it.

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=1x...x50bff;3x27uxm

Feedback with his effect makes it really worthy. Sure you could use Hulk GG and Magic Missile for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I think with Power Bolt it is pretty straight forward. From your example, I would think that all 5 Avengers would take 2 damage from Power Bolt.
    That's what I think too.

What I don't understand is what @Shadowmeld means by "Red Hood doesn't cause any extra damage" and "Joker doesn't multiply the damage".

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post

The part that trips me up, and why I've stayed away from using this card, is resolving multiple sources of damage.

I have 2 Joker(2A/5D), 1 Solomon Grundy(4A/4D), and 1 Black Manta(2A/4D) in the field.
    You have 1 Groot(3A/7D), 1 Star-Lord(5A/3D), and 1 Moondragon(3A/4D) character fielded.
    I attack with 1 Joker, Solomon, and Black Manta and they are blocked by Moondragon Star-Lord, Groot respectively.
    Ignoring everyones ability except Joker, how much damage is dealt?
    As Combat damage resolves, all GotG characters will take 8 damage(2+4+2). All avengers characters (who are not guardians) would take 6 damage(2+4), but characters who are both, still only take the 8.

This is because Joker does 2 damage to all guardians and avengers, Grundy does 4 damage to all guardians and Avengers and Manta does 2 damage to all guardians.

Each attacker is a different source, and when resolving damage while Red Hood is out, you replace "deals damage to Groot" with "deals damage to all guardians".

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    That's what I think too.

What I don't understand is what @Shadowmeld means by "Red Hood doesn't cause any extra damage" and "Joker doesn't multiply the damage".
    I'm referring to instances where Red Hood is out, and an effect resolves dealing damage to multiple targets at once. Fireball for example, when it hits 5 Avengers, doesn't deal 10 damage to each Avenger. It still only deals 2. Damage doesn't multiple, no extra damage is created.

I'm referring to instances where Red Hood is out, and an effect resolves dealing damage to multiple targets at once. Fireball for example, when it hits 5 Avengers, doesn't deal 10 damage to each Avenger. It still only deals 2. Damage doesn't multiple, no extra damage is created.
    Ah, I see.

So, are you saying the "an" is significant and his ability only applies to effects that hit a single target character?

Not quite. What I'm saying is that if an effect is already targeting a character, Joker doesn't cause that character to take more damage. It's more of a, if action A does damage to Target B1, then all Targets in subset B take the same damage. If action C does damage to all targets in subset B, you are already "doing and equal amount of damage" to all characters in subset B, thus Joker's ability is irrelevant.

It's like when Cerebro is on a card, they have a minimum fielding cost of 2. If their fielding cost is greater than 2 you pay that, but you don't add 2 for each Cerebro die on a card. Joker works similarly, in that he cause everyone affiliated to take the same damage as the character who is taking the most. For example if you used fireball, and pumped an extra 2 into a Thor, all avengers would take 4, and all non-avengers would take 2. You spread the largest hit from any single effect, because you're doing "an equal amount" not an additional amount.

If the card doesn't work like this, then Joker's trigger and resolution timing work slightly different and he creates infinite loops of damage. Joker does 1 to Thor, all other Avengers take 1, then since you did damage to all other avengers, Thor takes another one... infinite look until one half of the loop is dead.

The reason I'm asking - we're having an affiliation-only tournament
    next week, and a friend of mine asekd about Toad and The Joker.

If they have 4 Avengers fielded and I have Toad, on a burst face,
    and Joker on the field. They have to attack with everything, at which
    point Toad and Joker would activate. If I understand correctly, each
    Avenger would take 8 damage?

If action C does damage to all targets in subset B, you are already "doing and equal amount of damage" to all characters in subset B, thus Joker's ability is irrelevant.
    Thinks logical and maybe helps you NDZooDZoo

It depends on which Toad , i think you mean the Rare one Mortimer Toynbee on lvl 2 with 3/3 face. Then yes

Toad would only do 2 damage to all Avengers, no matter how many Avengers there are, or which toad you used.

Joker makes single target effects multitarget effects.

On the other hand, magic Missile global and Joker would be really great in that format.

I don't think I understand that, the card doesn't specify which types of damage?

Unless there is some ruling or something I'm missing?

Toad is already doing 2 damage to all characters (non-sidekick). Joker only deals an "equal" amount of damage, thus if they're already being dealt 2, they don't take 2 more.

I'm not sure about that. I can easily see it working as:

Opponent has four Avengers.
    Toad deals 2 damage to all four Avengers.
    Avenger 1 takes 2 damage, Joker deals 2 to all other Avengers.
    Avenger 2 also takes 2 damage, Joker also deals 2 damage to all other Avengers.
    Avenger 3 also takes 2 damage, Joker also deals 2 damage to all other Avengers.
    Avenger 4 also takes 2 damage, Joker also deals 2 damage to all other Avengers.

Don't think I'd rule it that way myself but I could see it working that way.

Not quite. What I'm saying is that if an effect is already targeting a character, Joker doesn't cause that character to take more damage. It's more of a, if action A does damage to Target B1, then all Targets in subset B take the same damage. If action C does damage to all targets in subset B, you are already "doing and equal amount of damage" to all characters in subset B, thus Joker's ability is irrelevant.
    Ah, right. Thanks for clarifying.

Hmm. I'm going to sit on the fence on this one.

I think @Shadowmeld 's interpretation has some merits to it - it's simple and looks like it probably eliminates any loop type issues.

However, I also think @alleyviper 's reading of the Toad interaction could well be the way they rule it.

So question here, does someone knows if there in the past a ruling if the damage your characters do, is ment for Red Hood or not? Or still unclear?