Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: Why I'm Leaving Dice Masters

Good and Honest Decision !
    Reminds me of a Friend that told me 4 months ago, that he couldnt learn any new rules or gain this happiness with new board games. Now i see him once in a while making demo games for his beloved games that he loves and like all the time and he is focusing more on P&P Roleplaying games. And he looks much happier than before.

I guess taking a pause or moving on to see things in different lights and of all seeing new things is better than nagging and staying on one spot.

Right now iam on the point where i dont have any creativity in this game. Not because there will be new stuff, but because this games habits are coming again and again, even with new sets.
    And that i think effects everybody here.
    I hate to admit it, but this rule discussions for example exhausting me, even if i dont write my 2 cents about it and it makes me feel bad to play this parts of this game. But dont get it wrong, this happens with some other games i love too right now.

And this game didnt even started. At has so much potential, but that needs time and manpower and think just 2-3 websites with lets say 5-7 people maybe is nearly not enough to do all this work. So it is on us all to do something about it!

Well here i am praying these things, but myself has not all this power to do so much for the community, but i hope that all here giving their best to achieve one day a flourishing game in a already flourishing community! You guys are great!

It's sad to see you go but I completely understand. I've played Wizkids products since Mage Knight first released so I've gotten used to their rulings and word usage over the years. It's not just Dice Masters, it's always just been somewhere between bad and .....huh? Spider-bomb was a big example of this that to this day still upsets me. Now it doesn't upset me because of how they ruled, but because I asked the question "Does this also effect Spider-man The Amazing?" Never did get an answer which I assumed because StA wasn't meta enough to warrant one.

If anything I would keep two teams. Keep a competitive team and a teaching team, downsize the rest. The game will change because it has to or it will die. Everyone talks how great the DM community is and how we drive the game. It's time for Wizkids to realize that as well. With all the passion for this game they should want to give us a quality product. Currently they only offer a quantity product. It's time for them to find that line between quantity and quality. Maybe you taking a step back will be the wake up call.

All I can hope for is that we'll see links and reviews for the new games your getting into. Best way to make a game successful is word of mouth.

Safe travels.

And that's what I've been saying. We as the consumers of this game have more power then we realize. If we all took 5 minutes and messaged WizKids on Facebook or emailed them outlining our issues in a constructive way and saying our concerns for the longetivity of the game if they aren't fixed, then I believe we could make a difference. We can offer to play test for them or even English professionals can help them with wording. We just need enough people holding them accountable for a gross negligence of quality vs. quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBurgandylive View Post
    And that's what I've been saying. We as the consumers of this game have more power then we realize. If we all took 5 minutes and messaged WizKids on Facebook or emailed them outlining our issues in a constructive way and saying our concerns for the longetivity of the game if they aren't fixed, then I believe we could make a difference. We can offer to play test for them or even English professionals can help them with wording. We just need enough people holding them accountable for a gross negligence of quality vs. quantity.
    Well TimoTischel started in the DM Facebook groups a group question, or more like this, asking people to ask one special question several times.

So should we maybe make a Thread , where we focus Question, send them in a good and correct english to them and hope to an answer or everybody sending the same Question.
    Could be good or bad, but the more time is going in the lands of dice the more cards with rules will overrun us.

It is sad it has come to this

I hope this brought to wizkids attention and they are held over the coals until they improve their rule writting

Screw it - I couldnt leave it alone - https://twitter.com/ImperialTruthPC/...59462407933952 (feel free to retweet until someone at wizkids respond)

Good luck in what ever you find yourself doing, and I am sure I speak for everyone, when I say you will always have place here
    Last edited by Bestia; 08-25-2015 at 09:25 AM.

I know this pain, especially about the rules. you shouldn't have to write a caching script and work on publishing an app to put all this together. I am playing and supporting the game in hopes that keywordingn gets better and the rule wordings flatten out.

And anyone in this community has to notice that several sites are burning out due to these exact same factors. You have a new child, go enjoy time with the kids.

Good luck Randy. Thanks for helping to get TRP to where it is today. I always enjoyed hearing you on the podcasts.

*edit* I share your issues noted above as well.
    Last edited by DigitalFirefly; 08-25-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: removed complaining to bring the focus back to Randy leaving.

I'm sad to see you go @Randy you will be missed, I understand where you are coming from and do truly hope that Wizkids straightens things out with more consistent wording and rules. I also look forward to the day that they reverse the ruling on Jocasta. So until then, so long and thanks for all the fish!

Hopefully they'll get their act together by the time they do a Wrestling set. Sadly, both seem more like wishful thinking these days...

On a positive note, everyone loves a comeback (did you see the Dudley Boyz on RAW last night?!?), so maybe if Wizkids can take up one of the many people that have volunteered to help them make their product better the game will be worth revisiting for you as well.

"a game that grows more and more frustrating every day."
    I can feel this...

I support whatever decision you feel needs made. Find that happy place in life.

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    (did you see the Dudley Boyz on RAW last night?!?)
    Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

The end reveal was even better.

I`m watching currently ...so STFU .....:P (did you see what I did there)

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

The end reveal was even better.
    Sadly, my DVR cut off before the end, but I knew it was going to be something like that (knowing who was supposed to be show up at some point).

Dudley's took me by surprise as it's only been 2 weeks since Bully/Bubba was 'taken out' on TNA. Even though he was in the Royal Rumble for a few minutes, they usually wait a few months between leaving one company and reappearing in another.

@Randy - sorry to hear that, but I completely understand your feelings and frustrations. Hopefully this will let you focus on the more important stuff.

Also I love your P.S. #3 quote

Quality issues aside, a main concern for me has been the constant delay and/or absence of clarity. Wizkids answers Heroclix questions on the Rules Forum almost daily but only pop up once a month or so to answer five DM questions, two of which were answered in the past, and the last one easily answered by reading the rules. It seems there's little impulse or priority given to meeting these needs. These issues affect the quality of the gaming experience.

The Jocasta ruling makes no sense whatsoever, particularly given prior rulings on redirection of damage. Also confusing are the issues of identifying which card is the "source" of the damage when multiple character/action abilities are in play and what constitutes damage being dealt vs. simply modified/redirected by a character ability. The answers to these complex interaction can't be reliable ascertained intuitively or by reading the card text literally. This can be incredibly aggravating when a game is on the line and neither player can make sense of what's suppose to happen. No one wants to interrupt a game to embark deep exegesis to realize that there are no answers.

I love the game and almost play it exclusively at this point due to my limited time but I must say I'm growing increasingly frustrated.

The thing that I find hardest to believe is that Wizkids is NOT a small company. This is not their only game. A company that makes lots of games should know how to make a game. It's not even a really new genre. They make other competitive, collectible games as well. I don't play hero clix, but does it also suffer from a complete lack of quality control?
    Maybe if this was some small, indi company putting out their first major title, I'd be a little more lenient, but with a large, established gaming company, there is no excuse. Step it up Wizkids, or there will be lots more stories like this one.

@beastmasterjc Clix has similar control problems. Also, WizKids is a pretty small company. Only 10 or so employees.

@Randy , I'm sorry to see you go. I have really enjoyed your contributions to the Reserve Pool. Your segments and your articles are some of my favorites.

I think WK shot themselves in the foot a bit with all things related to "source of damage" and "damage from character abilities". If they just would have kept the definition of damage simple disregarding the source of that damage, things would have been easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    @beastmasterjc Also, WizKids is a pretty small company. Only 10 or so employees.
    This shouldn't matter. They are clearly pumping out sets so they have people working on the game constantly. If I worked there, I could easily write up a document of best practices and standardized wordings for abilities (e.g., "character" should either be "character die" or "character card") and distribute it to the designers and then successfully proof all 140+ cards myself. It's really not that big of a task to make sure that the identical globals on the common and uncommon Ultron Drone are worded the same. I do this type of work all the time and would likely lose my job if I was consistently pushing out product which poor quality control issues. If they don't have enough manpower, they should hire 1 additional person to be a copy editor.
    Last edited by Crestfallen; 08-25-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    @beastmasterjc Clix has similar control problems. Also, WizKids is a pretty small company. Only 10 or so employees.
    However, I still see no reason why WizKids couldn't "employ" a legion beta testers who have to fill out a plethora of NDAs and legal agreements. You could likely just "pay" them in promos (well, I'd personally do it for promos at least). Then WizKids gives themselves an extra couple weeks between releases for the beta testers to take a whack at a new set. Check for things that aren't immediately clear or blatantly wrong. They could probably eliminate a good percentage of their issues nearly for free, and if they have an experienced crew of beta testers, they should get a fairly streamlined set of questions and issues brought to their attention.

Notice how quickly this has devolved from wishing Randy the best into complaining about rulings and proofreading. I get it's frustrating but I don't think this is the section to discuss it.

Agreed. Let's move from a Pile on about the current QC issues, and back to Wishing Randy luck in his new endeavors. I know you'll still be around sir, but Good Luck on everything.